Should I Cull This Shrimp?

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’m getting my Bloody Mary shrimp colony started, and I want to make sure I have good quality shrimp. Should I cull this shrimp?
0fde8b0889da7b60acef41842bf003c0.jpg
12d373c9af55328e057f75f560d27407.jpg

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would cull or separate for a while to see if color improves. If not you can sell it as a cull if you have multiples of it.

OP
MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mcasella said:
I would cull or separate for a while to see if color improves. If not you can sell it as a cull if you have multiples of it.
The other shrimp seem to have better color, but they’re smaller. Though I may find someone to take him. One of my local stores sell Bloody Mary shrimp, which look like low grade cherry shrimp. They only have little spots of red, but they sell for twelve bucks.
How long do you think he can stay in the regular tank? I don’t really have another space to put him. I can assume that he won’t be able to breed for a while, right?

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cull or separate. You could even make a small biosphere for the little guy, if so inclined. I get shrimp like that. I think it looks nice.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MaximumRide14 said:
The other shrimp seem to have better color, but they’re smaller. Though I may find someone to take him. One of my local stores sell Bloody Mary shrimp, which look like low grade cherry shrimp. They only have little spots of red, but they sell for twelve bucks.
How long do you think he can stay in the regular tank? I don’t really have another space to put him. I can assume that he won’t be able to breed for a while, right?
You would be surprised, they can breed as early as 1/2 inch.

OP
MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mcasella said:
You would be surprised, they can breed as early as 1/2 inch.
Yikes, where should I put him? I don’t have anywhere else to put him, besides other tanks where he would be eaten.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oooh! I got a fix for this! Walstad method shrimp jar!

Step 1-Get a jar
Step 2-Clean it
Step 3-Put in substrate
Step 4-Put in anarcharis(My favorite plant for filtering and oxygen production)
Step 5-Add shrimp

Tip-Keep in a warmer area so the temps don't go down too low

OP
MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
75g Discus Tank said:
Oooh! I got a fix for this! Walstad method shrimp jar!

Step 1-Get a jar
Step 2-Clean it
Step 3-Put in substrate
Step 4-Put in anarcharis(My favorite plant for filtering and oxygen production)
Step 5-Add shrimp

Tip-Keep in a warmer area so the temps don't go down too low
Ok so I don’t have anarcharis, would duckweed, hornwort, and water sprite though. Can it be bare bottom? Would I need to do a water change? Could I use some plastic wrap with some holes in it for a lid?

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have duckweed in my jar. Hornwort and water sprite could work. I get my anarcharis from a pond for free. I just used anarcharis as an example.

It could be BB but I think that you should plant some of the plants in the substrate.
You could do water changes but one shrimp in a heavily filtered tank will not have much of a bioload but you can do WCs to be safe.

OP
MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
75g Discus Tank said:
I have duckweed in my jar. Hornwort and water sprite could work. I get my anarcharis from a pond for free. I just used anarcharis as an example.

It could be BB but I think that you should plant some of the plants in the substrate.
You could do water changes but one shrimp in a heavily filtered tank will not have much of a bioload but you can do WCs to be safe.
Ok I’ll do that. Is this a good-sized jar?
4894cd5a6090c62755e65c80a38353ae.jpg

I’ll replace the lid with plastic wrap so I can put holes in it.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For a single shrimp, it could work. With vertically growing plants, the shrimp can climb on it so they shrimp has more surface to walk around on. I keep 5 cherry shrimp in my 1 gallon jar.

OP
MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
75g Discus Tank said:
For a single shrimp, it could work. With vertically growing plants, the shrimp can climb on it so they shrimp has more surface to walk around on. I keep 5 cherry shrimp in my 1 gallon jar.
This is definitely not 1 gallon lol. And I’m still a teen, so my hand isn’t that big either. I’ll post a picture when I get it set up. It’s going to be hard to find him in a ten gallon though.

I can’t spot him... I’ll get it set up as soon as I find him.

Michael.j.gomez

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, you could attached a suction cup or 2 to a plastic container of some sort, perforate sides & bottom. Then place inside tank as a temp. holding area till you figure out something better! Water in tank will keep it warm. Hope this helps.

OP
MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Michael.j.gomez said:
Hello, you could attached a suction cup or 2 to a plastic container of some sort, perforate sides & bottom. Then place inside tank as a temp. holding area till you figure out something better! Water in tank will keep it warm. Hope this helps.
Thanks, but I already set up the jar. I live in Arizona, and I don’t need heaters in any of my tanks (except the betta) so hopefully the water is warm enough.

75g Discus Tank said:
I got the jar set up. Is this enough plants? I couldn’t put them in a substrate because my hand couldn’t reach the bottom. Hopefully I got the right shrimp.
068693e1f7172fc08ec792ec4d9279aa.jpg
4bbe873a694b9b4d957007138b3f85fb.jpg

New Threads