Question Should i cull my fish or just stop letting them breed?

Stag Man

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have kept molly for a long time, I let the babys live in the tank and each generation I buy a new male to keep the bloodline fresh.

last year my female molly produced what I can only guess are 'dwarf' mollys. they took about 11 months to mature and were only 4cm long when they bred. they werent infertile and the female gave birth about 4 months ago to 5 baby fish (all of which survived) the babys are about 2cm long still.

they don't have any health defects and just look like little perfect mollys but I'm thinking of seperating them into males and females and not breeding them.

wondered if anyone else has experience of this and what they did when it happens. I actually think the little mollys are cute in their own way and they have nice colours.

the only reason I can think of this happening is the male I bought form the petshop a couple generations ago might of been a hybrid

Marisseas

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've encountered similiar problems before with my livebearers. It really is a personal choice. I culled those with "defects" but a close friend had seen them as bonuses instead of flaws. After having raised the little guys I tend to now agree with her. Maybe that's very "bleeding hearted" of me but it still is true. I believe it would be fun to breed them and see how others turned out but it really is a preference. However you could rehome them explaining the situation and a child may get much enjoyment out of them. I'd be happy to take a few males if you decide to do that. Either way I believe that "flaws" often bring others great enjoyment. Do what feels right to you

Amanda

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They sell MinI Mollies & Platies at the Petsmart near me.
Maybe you've walked into a goldmine!
Fish for people with small tanks!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've wondered about the validity of those petsmart dwarf platys....

platy ben

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would get in contact with a fish store and tell them what you've got and see if they will give you store credit for them
I would definitly buy some of these if they had them at my local fish store (Well I would if I had space) lol

heather84

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hmmm so dwarf platys are a real thing? never heard of them but my female platy was pregnant when we got her. She looked like a normal platy but not sure abotu the father. Managed to save 5 babies. 1 of which NEVER grew and ended up dying. The other 4 are very small, we put them in the big tank at 1 month because they were big enough however they haven't grown much since. It worries me alot.

New Threads