Should I Continue Going To My Lfs?

SplendidBettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've always been skeptical about my lfs. It seems to me all they want to do is make money, and they don't really care about the proper care for fish. They're perfectly fine with sending people off with bettas in quart sized tanks, and once I heard the man who owns the store selling a customer a single foot long tinfoil barb for a 25 gallon tank. I'm just wondering if I should continue providing this store with my business. By the way, if anyone knows any better stores in upstate New York, please let me know

Niki Rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you feel like they are not well informed about the care of the pets they are selling then sure you can always find somewhere else and support their business.
I had to stop going to one of my favourite lfs because I found out their stock kept getting sick and almost every fish I got had some kind of problem, there were always a few tanks 'under treatment' but also a lot others that were clearly sick but not being treated.

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That decision is all yours - it will depend on what other options are around. Where I live, I can be at ten different stores within 45 minutes' drive. So if I don't like one, I can switch. But if all you have is a petwhatever and one lfs, that lfs remains a good resource.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Personally I’d keep going so long as they have healthy stock, I don’t really care about them giving bad info or anything. It’s a business, they’re trying to make money and selling wrong fish to people can benifit that. I know and anyone who has been in the hobby at all will known to not trust them and do their own research.

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've always been skeptical about my lfs. It seems to me all they want to do is make money, and they don't really care about the proper care for fish. They're perfectly fine with sending people off with bettas in quart sized tanks, and once I heard the man who owns the store selling a customer a single foot long tinfoil barb for a 25 gallon tank. I'm just wondering if I should continue providing this store with my business. By the way, if anyone knows any better stores in upstate New York, please let me know
If someone is stupid enough to put a foot long fish in a tank that small, they're stupid enough to find a lawyer stupid enough to try to sue the store for refusing to sell them the fish. Can't say it would hold up in court, but it's something the owner doesn't have time for.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom