Should I Clip My Amazon Sword Leaves?

Tex

I got a new Amazon Sword around a week ago for my 5-gallon tank. I'm buying root tabs today but for now, it's just been in my tank. I have read that there is an adjustment period for Amazon Swords and it's normal for some leaves to die after it is introduced to a new tank.

The leaves on the plant are turning yellow and brown at the tips. I've read that you should cut those leaves off but the problem is a lot of my leaves are developing yellow and brown tips. I only have 10 leaves on this plant because it's pretty small and only 2-3 of the leaves have not developed these yellow and brown tips.

The Amazon Sword's planted in gravel (I realize that it is better for them to be planted in soil but I only have gravel and read that it's okay). The crown of the plant is not covered.

Should I cut those leaves? I'm concerned that my plant will die if it has so few leaves.

APColorado

Swords love light, is it getting enough light?

I would trim the dying leaves off so the plant can redirect its energy to new growth.

Tex

Yeah, it's getting enough light.

My biggest question is if I should trim off the dying leaves when there are so few healthy ones (only 2). Is it safe?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nickel5
Replies
Views
Ksway
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishGirl115
  • Question