Should I Clean The Tank First Or Feed The Fish First?

Levanex
Should I clean the tank first or feed the fish first?

Bryangar
Do you mean should you feed the fish before or after a water change? Can you be a little more specific?

Levanex
Do you mean should you feed the fish before or after a water change? Can you be a little more specific?

yes, I mean that

smee82
I feed after. Wc in the morning feed at night

Hunter1
I feed about an hour before I do a water change.

Discus-Tang
I feed about an hour before I do a water change.
This makes sense, because then the ammonia from the food and poop gets sucked up in the water change.

Hunter1
But sometimes I get weak and feed lightly after the water change. They look so happy after, I just want them to be happier.

Jenoli42
I always plan to do wc first thing but that's not how our family works. so I test tanks in the morning, then breakfast feed, then family stuff, then do wc's in the early to mid afternoon. then it's about 4 hours until evening meal....

Rick bose
I feed them little before a water change and also feeds them them a little after the water change. But feeding before is a better choice but I do this because I love staring at my tank for sometime after a water change and then I like to see my fish eating. So I do this but feeding 1-2 hours before a water change is a better choice as fish poop and excess food and the ammonia that the food produced can go away with the water change.

finnipper59
My fish look happier after a water change too. There's less waste in the water and usually more dissolved oxygen. But eating causes movement it their digestive tract. They tend to poop during or right after eating. Wait an hour after feeding and they will enjoy a tank that is cleaner longer.
But sometimes I get weak and feed lightly after the water change. They look so happy after, I just want them to be happier.

83jase
I feed them few hours after wc allow it time to settle and cycle and clear the water again

Who likes to eat off dirty dishes right lol

Galathiel
I feed around 6 am and usually do my water changes around 7:30 or 8:00 (on the weekends). I always feed first even if I sneak a wc in during the week.

finnipper59
In truth, it may not really matter, but I feed my fish an hour before my 25% water change every other day.
My fish look happier after a water change too. There's less waste in the water and usually more dissolved oxygen. But eating causes movement it their digestive tract. They tend to poop during or right after eating. Wait an hour after feeding and they will enjoy a tank that is cleaner longer.

ASHLEY R COOK
I like to feed first. In my mind I want to clean up the mess. I also don't want to dirty my hard work right away lol

finnipper59
I like to feed first. In my mind I want to clean up the mess. I also don't want to dirty my hard work right away lol
Good point! Lol

Jellibeen
I feed them first. Often I do quick, small water changes of a few gallons after Archibald the pleco eats.

ystrout
I feed them 30 minutes before so I can pick up the leftovers that they missed.

Regardless of how much I feed my fish, they always miss some. The danios get so excited that there's food that they hit the surface going 2 million miles per hour. This launches food into all parts of the tank and it gets under the filter output, which then pushes it all over and the fish can't find it. The cory cats pick up some, but not all...

DuaneV
I always do water changes in the morning to get it out of the way and it gives me the day in case any "issues" arise and I need to run to Petco. My fish all get fed in the evenings. Its just how Ive always done it.

finnipper59
I always do water changes in the morning to get it out of the way and it gives me the day in case any "issues" arise and I need to run to Petco. My fish all get fed in the evenings. Its just how Ive always done it.
If it works...don't fix it!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
maggie thecat
Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views
aliray
  • Question