Should I clean the glass while I'm cycling?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by FLGirl, Apr 13, 2010.

1. FLGirl

FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

Hey, well my inside glass has been looking very cloudy I haven't cleaned it because I thought it might prolong or mess up the cycling process but I'm wondering if this is right? my water is clear it's the glass that isn't. Should u keep leaving ut alone or clean it?

2. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Is it algae that's on the glass or something else?

3. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

No it's not algae it just has like a film on the inside glass that makes it not as clear.

4. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

I would leave it alone, cycling with fish is already touchy as it is, so I'd just focus on keeping the water params right and keep any major changes minimal.

5. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Did you clean the tank and decorations etc thoroughly before filling?

I have seen this occur as a result of the glass and decorations not being cleaned properly before use. Not saying that this is the cause, just something i've seen in the past.

That said, I would leave it be for a few weeks and see if it subsides. Cycling can result in a number of things seeming to be 'a problem', but once it all settles and the little ecosystem is up and running, everything becomes 'normal'

If it persists when cycling has finished, then I would look at cleaning it off.

6. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

IMO; My 25gal goldie tank does the same thing with my two goldfish. Every water change I have to wipe down my inside glass to clean it up. Its harmless other then that. You can leave it while you cycle or you can remove it. If you want leave it until you are cycled its a good sign to see it in your tank...What are you using to cycle your tank with?

7. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

Thanks guys. I cleaned everything before adding. I have 4 zebra danios and I use Amquel+.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice