Question Should I Clean Fish Poop From My Planted Tank?

AniketRane

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 10 gallons sparsely tank housing 1 betta, 5 lemon tetras and 2 otocinclus catfish. I have planted the tank with some cryptocoryne wendetti and monte carlo. I have used ADA Amazonia as the substrate.
The otos have being pooping too much recently and all the substrate is now covered with fish poop. Should I clean the fish poop using a syphon? I know too much fish poop isn't good for the tank and may cause ammonia spike (correct me if I am wrong). Should I only clean excess poop or should all the poop must be cleaned? The part which is confusing to me is that plants will utilize the fish poop and it is gives plants nutrients. So should it be cleaned or not?

skar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Clean the excess waste as good as you can.
The plants will use some nutrients but excess waste and nutrients will also help algea develop too.

It's a balancing act to have stable parameters and a clean looking tank.

Bry

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your tank is overstocked. I wouldn't recommend any tankmates for a Betta in anything less than a 20. Pretty sure lemons need at least 20 gallons anyway. And be careful as otos tend to try and eat the slime coat off of tankmates!
All of my tanks are light/moderately planted and if the poop starts piling or is visible I would siphon it out. Plants will help but they can only use so much and the poop will start to throw off your chemical balance.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And be careful as otos tend to try and eat the slime coat off of tankmates!
Really... I've never heard of this. Do you have experience with that? I know Chinese Algae Eater are notorious for this.
There are some options for tank mates in this 10s, but not this stocking. Otos need schools; just 2 isn't going to cut it. Some recommendations for the lemon tetras are 10 gallons, but I wouldn't keep them in a 10 with a betta.

AniketRane

Reaction score
but I wouldn't keep them in a 10 with a betta.
What's the problem of keeping them with a betta?

Otos need schools; just 2 isn't going to cut it.
Yes. But as my tank was small so I did stick to buying only two. I wanted some algae eaters and the LFS suggested me otos. My bad. Didn't do enough research prior buying.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What's the problem of keeping them with a betta
Well, you could. If they're getting along, I suppose it's fine. But to keep them in the school they need and with a betta, it'll be a tight squeeze and you'll see a lot more poop.
Bettas can be territorial and 10 gallons is not always enough space for a betta and many other fish, especially in schools.
What filter do you have?

AniketRane

Reaction score
Well, you could. If they're getting along, I suppose it's fine. But to keep them in the school they need and with a betta, it'll be a tight squeeze and you'll see a lot more poop.
Bettas can be territorial and 10 gallons is not always enough space for a betta and many other fish, especially in schools.
What filter do you have?
I have a HOB filter with a capacity of ~158 gallons per hour

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The stocking is indeed a squeeze for a 10g, but anyways, to answer the question, yes, siphon as much poop as you can see by hoovering over the substrate

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom