Should I Clean Cartridge?

ASHLEY R COOK
I have a top fin power 40 for my 37 gal. This is my first tank and I just started it up 3-11 and it's cycling. I noticed the replacement indicator is red. I pulled out the cartridge that hold the carbon and it's already dirty!
Since I'm fishless cycling do I leave it?
Do I rinse it in my tank or fill my bucket and condition it and rinse it?
20180318_170148.jpeg
20180318_170033.jpeg My conditioner doesn't state it has any ammonia lock or such.

75g Discus Tank
It doesn’t look too dirty so I would leave it in.

I would only clean filters about once a month for HOBs

AMC_1204
If it’s hindering flow you can fill a bucket with tank water and rinse it. I haven’t worked with them personally but I would lean towards leaving it alone.

ASHLEY R COOK
Yea I was wanting to leave it alone but wasn't sure if it was bad for the filter? It's running ok just the water level inside is high enough the indicator is red

It doesn’t look too dirty so I would leave it in.

I would only clean filters about once a month for HOBs
Ok thanks being new I wasn't sure how dirty it get in a fishless tank in a week. Lol

mattgirl
Since most of the bacteria you are trying to grow will be on the fiber part of that filter cartridge. You don't want to replace it until your tank has finished cycling and after that only if it is literally worn out from cleaning it or clogged so much that the water won't flow through it freely. When that happens you need to cut the fiber off of that cartridge and put that fiber in the filter housing along with a new cartridge thus saving the bacteria that lives there.

Your filter doesn't look like it even needs to be cleaned yet. It will get to looking pretty gross but it is supposed too.

Most of the companies that make the filters do recommend changing the cartridge often. They can't make as much money if we don't buy lots of their product so it is in their best interest for us to change them often. Sadly it isn't in the best interest of our water pets.

as always, just my humble opinion

GrayGray4231
I am not sure what to do about your problem, but when you do clean it make sure you clean it with really hot water and that helps.

ASHLEY R COOK
Since most of the bacteria you are trying to grow will be on the fiber part of that filter cartridge. You don't want to replace it until your tank has finished cycling and after that only if it is literally worn out from cleaning it or clogged so much that the water won't flow through it freely. When that happens you need to cut the fiber off of that cartridge and put that fiber in the filter housing along with a new cartridge thus saving the bacteria that lives there.

Your filter doesn't look like it even needs to be cleaned yet. It will get to looking pretty gross but it is supposed too.

Most of the companies that make the filters do recommend changing the cartridge often. They can't make as much money if we don't buy lots of their product so it is in their best interest for us to change them often. Sadly it isn't in the best interest of our water pets.

as always, just my humble opinion
Do I have to fill the filter with carbon? Can I fill it with other things like ceramic media or is that different?

AMC_1204
I personally remove carbon from the start and replace with filter floss or ceramic media. Only run carbon if you need to remove medications. If your tank stinks it will remove the smell but that usually means there’s an issue somewhere and the tank is dirty or dead fish/plants.
Sounds like your good to run it until is cycled.

mattgirl
I am not sure what to do about your problem, but when you do clean it make sure you clean it with really hot water and that helps.
One really doesn't want to do that. The filter media needs to be cleaned with either the water one takes out of the tank during a water change or in fresh dechlorinated water. Rinsing it with hot water will kill all of the beneficial bacteria .
Do I have to fill the river with carbon? Can I fill it with other things like ceramic media or is that different?
I'm not sure what you mean by fill the river with carbon. Maybe a mis-type?

Yes, Ceramic media in your filter housing is great and recommended. Some filters also come with a bio wheel and that too will hold a lot of the BB. If one has either or both, changing the filter cartridge isn't as big a problem. Personally I would still cut the fiber from the old cartridge either way. One can never have too much BB.

Carbon isn't absolutely necessary to a healthy tank but most filter cartridges do come with it already in them. I run 2 HOB filters on my tank. I run carbon in one but not the other.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JayH
Replies
Views
Nickguy5467
Replies
Views
Mataya
  • Question
Replies