Should I catch and grow out my small corys?

AcornTheBetta

Hi all!
As of lately, I've been noticing that some of my corys are smaller (1/2ish) the size of my other corys (all were purchased at about the same time and were the same size). It is 2/7 of the corys in the school. My question is, should I catch the 2 small ones and put them in something so that I can feed them and grow them out so they are the same size as the other fish or should I let it be? I feel like these fish get pushed away from the food at feeding time which is only causing the problem of them being smaller to get worse and worse. If you think I should catch them and grow them out, should I do this in a breeder box or a separate tank? Both are options that I have available to me. DoubleDutch? Thanks!

fallfever

I wouldn't. I think the move would be more stressful than being the smallest in the tank, not to mention they would be apart from the school. I feed the cories at night and in different parts of the tank so all can get a shot at the food. As long as they are swimming well, active, and no sunken bellies they should be fine. I've kept a lot of cories (seems you have too) and I've never lost one from starving, and I've had them at various life stages together, as well as multiple species. Love those little critters.

Kribensis27

I would just feed in multiple areas of the tank. Removing just those two will likely be very stressful, and probably not very good for growth. I leave my baby corys in the tank to grow up with their parents, and the size difference has never been an issue for mine.

DoubleDutch

Probably males running behind. Don't seperate. That would do more bad than good.

AcornTheBetta

Ok. Thanks for the responses. I'll just disperse the food to more areas of the tank.

Mlou

AcornTheBetta said:
Ok. Thanks for the responses. I'll just disperse the food to more areas of the tank.
Or just feed more often and you’ll get normal sized males and giant fat females.....no problem.

Latest threads

Top Bottom