Should I buy my betta places to hide? Or is he just stressed?

1. Pouncy Silverkitten Initiate Member

I was given a 3,5 gal with a beautiful, lazy lazy betta two months ago. Yesterday I was deep cleaning the tank because some new gravel I added had turned my water pink. I changed some stuff around to keep the lil guy entertained. The tank I have has some sort of platform that holds the air tube seen in the picture. I failed to properly cover a corner and in less than 12 hrs he's gotten stuck in the tube three times.
    I'm worried because twice he's gotten in there and in a matter of seconds stops moving and sinks and just curls up on the bottom.
    Could he be stressed and looking for places to hide? I have a couple of fake plants and rocks inside,but no formations. Or is he sick or trying to let himself die? I have no previous fish keeping experience and only go by what I've read in forums. [​IMG]

2. J J Carter Member Member

Can't imagine what the 'air tube' is or why it's needed as bettas are adapted to low-oxygen water.

Fish always do better with real plants IMHO

3. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Mabye he just likes going in there.i know mine likes to go behind the filter and under the driftwood.

4. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Did you rinse the gravel? What are the readings?

5. omordn Member Member

I setup a 3g with 3 live plants and mopani driftwood. He loves his setup. Live plants IMHO is a must since it's a more natural setup... Similar to what J J Carter mentioned

6. Pouncy Silverkitten Initiate Member

The tube came with the tank and I've seen the ones at my LFS set just like that for air. I've read that it doesn't hurt the betta to have extra oxygen.
    I did rinse the gravel. I don't have a testing kit though. It's on my list of next purchases.

7. Brizburk Member Member

Do you have a pump or anything attached to the tube - what is at the top and the bottom of the tube?