Should I Buy More Neon Tetra?

exGoldfish
Hello everyone.

I have a 33 G Juwel Lido tank.
This includes the Juwel Bioflow compact 3.0 filter and a All Pond Solution External filter.

Current inhabitants include;
2 dwarf gourami
9 Neon tetra
5 Harliquin tetra
3 Albino Corydora (Will probably add two more).
3 Zebra Danio (two died a few months ago ... they seem to be doing fine in a group of 3).

Do I have enough room to add 4 more Neon tetra?
I have attached a below of the current 9 schooling lol. They seem very small in comparison to the rest of the tank ATM.

IMG_1268.JPG

Advertisement
el337
Welcome to the forum

What are the dimensions of the tank? Schooling fish really do best in groups of at least 6+ of their own species and while you may have room to add more neons, increasing the school of danios and harlequins (assuming you meant rasboras and not tetras) would be much better for them. However, 3 mid-dwelling schoolers would be too much for this tank size (if it's 30 inches long or less). I would pick two of your favorites and rehome the 3rd.

What are the genders of the gouramis? If they're both male, I would consider rehoming one as two males in a tank this size may fight/kill each other eventually.

exGoldfish
Welcome to the forum

What are the dimensions of the tank? Schooling fish really do best in groups of at least 6+ of their own species and while you may have room to add more neons, increasing the school of danios and harlequins (assuming you meant rasboras and not tetras) would be much better for them. However, 3 mid-dwelling schoolers would be too much for this tank size (if it's 30 inches long or less). I would pick two of your favorites and rehome the 3rd.

What are the genders of the gouramis? If they're both male, I would consider rehoming one as two males in a tank this size may fight/kill each other eventually.

Hello, thank you for your response.
The dimensions are 24" L, 23" H and 16.1" W.

I guess I will add 4 more H Rasboras whilst try to rehouse the danios. Could I then add a few more neon tetras?

Also, the two Gouramis are male. They seem to be doing well. They both have their own space and often interact peacefully unless they end up in each others territory lol.

el337
With 2 DGs, I wouldn't add any more neons after increasing your rasboras.

Watch those 2 males. They may be fine now but in this tank size, the peace won't last.

Advertisement
aquatickeeper
I would rehome one of the DGs. It's always not recommended to keep 2+ male DGs in a tank. They can fight to the death. I would rehome one of it before anything bad happens.

I would do just one top-mid dwelling school in this tank.

Philippians 4:13
I would not have the two DGs......It would be okay to add 4 more tetras, but as Aquatickeeper said, you might only want to have one top-mid dwelling school in your tank.

RaspberryTheGoldfish
Please rehome the DG's

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Tetratension
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views