Should I buy another guppy?

nickrcarter6

Reaction score
She could be holding them back or absorbing them due to stress. How old are the guppies can you get some pics of them? That would help alot.

Ethan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
She could be holding them back or absorbing them due to stress. How old are the guppies can you get some pics of them? That would help alot.
Got male in may female in september

I can get photos in 2 1/2 hours

What type of pleco? It depends on your water quality, if there is a lot of nitrate, it's possible she won't feel like having babies.
Albino BN

nickrcarter6

Reaction score
So I've read thru some of your other posts. Get another guppy female or two keep up on water quality. And before you know it you'll have more guppies then you know what to do with. Sometimes the hardest part of this hobby is being patient..

Ethan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I've read thru some of your other posts. Get another guppy female or two keep up on water quality. And before you know it you'll have more guppies then you know what to do with. Sometimes the hardest part of this hobby is being patient..
I agree it’s frustrating that it’s overdue and I am sitting there waiting with little to no clue when it will give birth.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No I was going to get a kit last night but it didn’t work out
Ok well get a test when you can and try to keep nitrates under 10ppm. 20ppm is ok, but when they get up to 30 or 40ppm, a water change is in order.

Fyi, a 50% WC will bring nitrates down 50%. So if they are 40ppm and you do a 50% WC, you will be left with 20ppm nitrate. All this assuming you don't have nitrates in your tap or source water.

Also if you have live plants, they will eat up nitrates between WCs. Even a couple pothos cuttings growing emersed will grow lots of roots and help reduce nitrate accumulation.

Ethan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok well get a test when you can and try to keep nitrates under 10ppm. 20ppm is ok, but when they get up to 30 or 40ppm, a water change is in order.

Fyi, a 50% WC will bring nitrates down 50%. So if they are 40ppm and you do a 50% WC, you will be left with 20ppm nitrate. All this assuming you don't have nitrates in your tap or source water.

Also if you have live plants, they will eat up nitrates between WCs. Even a couple pothos cuttings growing emersed will grow lots of roots and help reduce nitrate accumulation.
Ok will my fish give birth even with nitrites

Ya live plants are awesome and it opens up a new part of the hobby that can help take you mind off the guppy not giving birth yet.
I am thinking of getting a plant to help hid the babies from their parents

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am thinking of getting a plant to help hid the babies from their parents
Guppy grass! It can be planted or float, and it's nice and delicate for docile fish. Perfect cover for babies too!
Guppy grass

She might not be up to giving birth if there are lots of nitrates. You don't want to see nitrites or ammonia at all in a cycled tank.

Ethan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
Update:

Sorry I wont have the photos till around 4:30

3381BEA1-5706-4B5F-A7C0-9AFD706CFF37.jpeg
C7B26810-3A24-471C-AFD2-BF5476000917.jpeg
21F50312-0BFC-4C22-B17E-EFCFBB3EF24C.jpeg

1st thank you with all the help everyone I appreciate it i

2nd the male is constantly chasing it and I am not the best with water changes

cantremember

Reaction score
I recommend to get another female. As you seen yourself the male is tirelessly chasing the female, which doesn't give her any time to rest. With more females the male will have to divide his attention.

Giving them some opportunity for privacy, like decor or plants, can help too.

Ethan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
I recommend to get another female. As you seen yourself the male is tirelessly chasing the female, which doesn't give her any time to rest. With more females the male will have to divide his attention.

Giving them some opportunity for privacy, like decor or plants, can help too.
The ripps are getting worse only on her so I think your right, but I have a BN pleco in the tank with them it is 10 gallons and I forget to water change a lot :(. Will a new Guppy mess up the ammonia levels?

cantremember

Reaction score
The ripps are getting worse only on her so I think your right, but I have a BN pleco in the tank with them it is 10 gallons and I forget to water change a lot :(. Will a new Guppy mess up the ammonia levels?
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Ammonia is converted to nitrite and then nitrate. So if the beneficial bacteria are doing their work it's the nitrate that will start to build up.

Not sure what you mean exactly with "forget to water change a lot" , if you get a testkit you can check whether you need to worry or not. But IMO one new guppy isn't going to crash your setup.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom