Should I buy another guppy?

  • Thread starter

Ethan30

Well Known Member
Messages
553
Reaction score
132
Points
63
Male.constaintly chasing female and she hasn’t given birth in 39 days

10 gallon tank

1 pleco
2 guppies

Fed once daily
I forget water changes sometimes
 

nickrcarter6

Valued Member
Messages
55
Reaction score
22
Points
18
Ya probably. Guppies are normally kept 2 or 3 females per male to start a colony.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Ethan30

Well Known Member
Messages
553
Reaction score
132
Points
63
nickrcarter6 said:
Ya probably. Guppies are normally kept 2 or 3 females per male to start a colony.
Ok I may consider it

nickrcarter6 said:
Ya probably. Guppies are normally kept 2 or 3 females per male to start a colony.
Is that why it’s not had it fry yet
 

nickrcarter6

Valued Member
Messages
55
Reaction score
22
Points
18
She could be holding them back or absorbing them due to stress. How old are the guppies can you get some pics of them? That would help alot.
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,233
Reaction score
3,518
Points
498
Experience
More than 10 years
Ethan30 said:
Is that why it’s not had it fry yet
What type of pleco? It depends on your water quality, if there is a lot of nitrate, it's possible she won't feel like having babies.
 

nickrcarter6

Valued Member
Messages
55
Reaction score
22
Points
18
And how big is the tank? You could have babies and just not seeing them.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Ethan30

Well Known Member
Messages
553
Reaction score
132
Points
63
nickrcarter6 said:
She could be holding them back or absorbing them due to stress. How old are the guppies can you get some pics of them? That would help alot.
Got male in may female in september

I can get photos in 2 1/2 hours

angelcraze said:
What type of pleco? It depends on your water quality, if there is a lot of nitrate, it's possible she won't feel like having babies.
Albino BN
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,233
Reaction score
3,518
Points
498
Experience
More than 10 years
Ethan30 said:
Albino BN
Ok that's good it's a small pleco, but still a little large for a 10 gallon. Have you tested nitrate lately?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Ethan30

Well Known Member
Messages
553
Reaction score
132
Points
63
angelcraze said:
Ok that's good it's a small pleco, but still a little large for a 10 gallon. Have you tested nitrate lately?
No I was going to get a kit last night but it didn’t work out
 

nickrcarter6

Valued Member
Messages
55
Reaction score
22
Points
18
So I've read thru some of your other posts. Get another guppy female or two keep up on water quality. And before you know it you'll have more guppies then you know what to do with. Sometimes the hardest part of this hobby is being patient..
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Ethan30

Well Known Member
Messages
553
Reaction score
132
Points
63
nickrcarter6 said:
So I've read thru some of your other posts. Get another guppy female or two keep up on water quality. And before you know it you'll have more guppies then you know what to do with. Sometimes the hardest part of this hobby is being patient..
I agree it’s frustrating that it’s overdue and I am sitting there waiting with little to no clue when it will give birth.
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,233
Reaction score
3,518
Points
498
Experience
More than 10 years
Ethan30 said:
No I was going to get a kit last night but it didn’t work out
Ok well get a test when you can and try to keep nitrates under 10ppm. 20ppm is ok, but when they get up to 30 or 40ppm, a water change is in order.

Fyi, a 50% WC will bring nitrates down 50%. So if they are 40ppm and you do a 50% WC, you will be left with 20ppm nitrate. All this assuming you don't have nitrates in your tap or source water.

Also if you have live plants, they will eat up nitrates between WCs. Even a couple pothos cuttings growing emersed will grow lots of roots and help reduce nitrate accumulation.
 

nickrcarter6

Valued Member
Messages
55
Reaction score
22
Points
18
Ya live plants are awesome and it opens up a new part of the hobby that can help take you mind off the guppy not giving birth yet.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Ethan30

Well Known Member
Messages
553
Reaction score
132
Points
63
angelcraze said:
Ok well get a test when you can and try to keep nitrates under 10ppm. 20ppm is ok, but when they get up to 30 or 40ppm, a water change is in order.

Fyi, a 50% WC will bring nitrates down 50%. So if they are 40ppm and you do a 50% WC, you will be left with 20ppm nitrate. All this assuming you don't have nitrates in your tap or source water.

Also if you have live plants, they will eat up nitrates between WCs. Even a couple pothos cuttings growing emersed will grow lots of roots and help reduce nitrate accumulation.
Ok will my fish give birth even with nitrites

nickrcarter6 said:
Ya live plants are awesome and it opens up a new part of the hobby that can help take you mind off the guppy not giving birth yet.
I am thinking of getting a plant to help hid the babies from their parents
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,233
Reaction score
3,518
Points
498
Experience
More than 10 years
Ethan30 said:
I am thinking of getting a plant to help hid the babies from their parents
Guppy grass! It can be planted or float, and it's nice and delicate for docile fish. Perfect cover for babies too!
Guppy grass

She might not be up to giving birth if there are lots of nitrates. You don't want to see nitrites or ammonia at all in a cycled tank.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Ethan30

Well Known Member
Messages
553
Reaction score
132
Points
63
angelcraze said:
Guppy grass! It can be planted or float, and it's nice and delicate for docile fish. Perfect cover for babies too!
Guppy grass

She might not be up to giving birth if there are lots of nitrates. You don't want to see nitrites or ammonia at all in a cycled tank.
Ok I may look into that
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Ethan30

Well Known Member
Messages
553
Reaction score
132
Points
63
Update:

Sorry I wont have the photos till around 4:30

nickrcarter6 said:
She could be holding them back or absorbing them due to stress. How old are the guppies can you get some pics of them? That would help alot.
3381BEA1-5706-4B5F-A7C0-9AFD706CFF37.jpeg
C7B26810-3A24-471C-AFD2-BF5476000917.jpeg
21F50312-0BFC-4C22-B17E-EFCFBB3EF24C.jpeg


1st thank you with all the help everyone I appreciate it i

2nd the male is constantly chasing it and I am not the best with water changes
 

cantremember

New Member
Messages
35
Reaction score
27
Points
18
I recommend to get another female. As you seen yourself the male is tirelessly chasing the female, which doesn't give her any time to rest. With more females the male will have to divide his attention.

Giving them some opportunity for privacy, like decor or plants, can help too.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Ethan30

Well Known Member
Messages
553
Reaction score
132
Points
63
cantremember said:
I recommend to get another female. As you seen yourself the male is tirelessly chasing the female, which doesn't give her any time to rest. With more females the male will have to divide his attention.

Giving them some opportunity for privacy, like decor or plants, can help too.
The ripps are getting worse only on her so I think your right, but I have a BN pleco in the tank with them it is 10 gallons and I forget to water change a lot :(. Will a new Guppy mess up the ammonia levels?
 

cantremember

New Member
Messages
35
Reaction score
27
Points
18
Ethan30 said:
The ripps are getting worse only on her so I think your right, but I have a BN pleco in the tank with them it is 10 gallons and I forget to water change a lot :(. Will a new Guppy mess up the ammonia levels?
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Ammonia is converted to nitrite and then nitrate. So if the beneficial bacteria are doing their work it's the nitrate that will start to build up.

Not sure what you mean exactly with "forget to water change a lot" , if you get a testkit you can check whether you need to worry or not. But IMO one new guppy isn't going to crash your setup.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom