Should I breed Xiphophorus hellerI Rio Otapa or just regulars?

nyless
greetings,

as I mentioned in my introduction post I have recently gotten back into the hobby and have decided I really wanted to play with swordtails and other livebearers this go around. previously in my tanks I never kept live bearers or plants so this go around I am "seeing how the other side lives" playing with stuff I never did before.

with that being said I recently purchased a male swordtail and a few females of different varieties that me and my other thought might make nice babies.

however I'm second guessing strategy this as I think breeding something true like Xiphophorus hellerI Rio Otapa would be better.

this is mostly for fun for me and the kids but was thinking if I could (assuming there is interest) unload some of these to my LFS that it might help my current situation with my wife ;-) however I can't help but think breeding something like the rio otapa would be more desirable to my LFS vs just some random variety that we end up with from our current stock.

what are your thoughts? if this was mostly for fun would you try and do a pure strain or would you just let the fish have at it and see what you get? do you think one would be better than the other from a desirability stand point as either a LFS or a hobbyist?

I look forward to hearing others thoughts...

thanks!

calsfish
sure do a pure strain but be warned to do it you will need to cull fish

Deku-Cory
First, you'll want to ask your LFS and see if they're actually interested in taking Swordtails. The worst thing to do would be to do all the breeding then find out that no one will take them! Though it would also be worth asking them this as well, I do believe creating a strain would be more desirable. Almost anyone can breed livebearers. Not everyone goes through the effort to breed a pure strain!

emeraldking
Well, breeding a pure wild strain or a mix is totally up to you. Depends if you'd like to make money out of it, fancy strains or a mix of them will sell better in general in comparison to a pure strain. Overhere, I do breed both disciplines. Not for the money btw...
But I do have a big focus on wild strains. I'm a board member of the national dutch society of livebearers (Poecilia Netherlands). Serious breeders and keepers of wild livebearer strains can derive such fish from breeders like us. Also institutes, zoos, universities and other relevant organizations can ask for our help and we can provide (if sufficient stock allows it) them with rare livebearers.

nyless
sure do a pure strain but be warned to do it you will need to cull fish

I have no problems culling. I expect there will be some culling regardless of which direction I choose.

nyless
First, you'll want to ask your LFS and see if they're actually interested in taking Swordtails. The worst thing to do would be to do all the breeding then find out that no one will take them! Though it would also be worth asking them this as well, I do believe creating a strain would be more desirable. Almost anyone can breed livebearers. Not everyone goes through the effort to breed a pure strain!
Well I know my lfs encourages this for stre credit though I haven't specifically asked if they have a reference of wild strains or fancy strains.

I also have a waiting list currently of several friends and family members who would like some.

I also plan to move a portion of them to a 55 gallon tank for some colony breeding possibly once I've finalized what direction I choose to go.

nyless
Well, breeding a pure wild strain or a mix is totally up to you. Depends if you'd like to make money out of it, fancy strains or a mix of them will sell better in general in comparison to a pure strain. Overhere, I do breed both disciplines. Not for the money btw...
But I do have a big focus on wild strains. I'm a board member of the national dutch society of livebearers (Poecilia Netherlands). Serious breeders and keepers of wild livebearer strains can derive such fish from breeders like us. Also institutes, zoos, universities and other relevant organizations can ask for our help and we can provide (if sufficient stock allows it) them with rare livebearers.

Thanks for the input!

Personally I think the wild strains interest me the most but the wife and kids obviously like the more colorful ones as expected.

I'm able to source wildstrains easy enough it appears. I don't think getting ahold of some will be an issue. I'm not afraid to order online.

I was mostly just curious if in others opinions if working with a pure strain seemed more worthwhile it sounds like its 6 one way half a dozen the other. To me working with a muddied strain of various lineage seemed about the same as breeding my mutt dog where as working with a wild strain more akin to breeding my purebred labrador.

Appreciate all the responses!

allllien
I only know of one shop in my state that has swordtails in specific color strains, everywhere else just has 'assorted swordtails' etc., so unless it's specific to your LFS, I wouldn't worry unless it's something you specifically want to do -just go with whatever you like best. I like mixing it up to get 'surprise' fry, but then again I also love koi swordtails and am trying to breed those too (I haven't had any luck yet as they mostly seem to be sterile?). I guess from a sale point, most people like the option of having a variety, hence why most places just sell assorted types. Then there's always online sites where you can sell directly if your LFS isn't interested in buying or giving store credit

Pescado_Verde
How's this venture going?

nyless
How's this venture going?

Its going well!

I had a first batch of fry drop un noticed in the tank and had 4 survivors. these are all about 10 weeks old or so at the moment.

was able to get momma out of the tank for the next batch and have 20 little guys swimming around in that tank now by themselves.

I'm expecting another round of babbies here in another week or so from 2 other females.

so all in all its going well and I'm having lots of fun and the babies omg are so cute!

Pescado_Verde
So did you go strictly with wild swordtails or mixing up already developed strains?

nyless
So did you go strictly with wild swordtails or mixing up already developed strains?

I ended up getting some goodieds to work with on the side as a pure strain for a project and I just worked with what I have as far as my existing swordtails.

I have a male which was a petco rescue for 1$ and I believe hes a solarflare or something similiar color wise swordtail and then I have 2 female green swordtails and 1 female marigold swordtail.

were mostly just seeing what happens after doing some long term colony breeding. if I see something really catchy come out of that colony color wise ill pull those specific fish and try and do some line breeding with those fish.

in the future I am interested in getting a "pure" wild strain but honestly after much more research I don't think I may as swordtails take so long to grow out compared to other livebearers.

however they are a very fun, beautiful fish so its still somewhat up in the air as to what the future will hold as far as my breeding/fish keeping endeavors.

emeraldking
What kind of goodeids did you end up with...?

nyless
What kind of goodeids did you end up with...?
Xenotoca doadrioi hope I didnt misspell that. They're awesome little fish and have been very enjoyable and have some really unique behaviors so far As compared to the swordtails. It's been really fun watching them. However I will say they are extremely frequently very fast movers and it can be hard to inspect them like during quarantine because they never sit still for more than a second. They're also "playfully aggressive" with each other which some people may not enjoy. They remind me of tiger barbs on crack...beautiful interesting fish however.

emeraldking
I do have them as well. At this moment a lot of fry are swimming in the same tank. These goodeids used to be called Xenotoca eisinI San Marcos. They won't eat their fry. They do best at a bit lower temps which goes for swordtails as well. All goodeids are viviparous (so real livebearers) unlike ovoviviparous livebearers like e.g. swordtails.

Take care

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
altermac
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
emeraldking