Should I boil water or something?

1. Colorado

Colorado Valued Member Member

So I just brought home a pair of German Blue Rams--and I mean like last week. I now see one of them hovering over a flat rock covered in what I assume are little yellow eggs. I'm pretty new to this hobby. Is there anything I can or should do? They're in a moderately planted 56 gallon with 10 neons, 5 serpaes, 4 endlers, a clown pleco, and 3 marigold platies. I'd like the eggs to hatch and the fry survive--though I have no idea what I would do with a bunch of tiny GBR's.

Any advice? Thanks.

--Colorado

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

They will very aggressively guard and defend their eggs and fry but in the end fry or eggs will most likely get eaten by the rest of the fish. If mom and dad get too nervous they may eat the eggs or fry.

Since you're not set up for fry and not interested in raising fry right now I personally would just leave them alone and just let nature take it's course. who knows one or two might survive on their own :)
    carol

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree - let nature take it's course.

4. OP
    OP
    Colorado

Thanks. I found and read a few articles on-line--and I'm not ready to get into an elaborate fish breeding situation. And it seems likely they'll keep doing this. I'll be interested to see if any survive.

5. Jaysee

Yes, this won't be the last. Here's the thing, too - they are not likely to breed successfully yet. It can take cichlids several tries to get it right.

6. OP
    OP
    Colorado

So I used my tank-dedicated turkey baster to suck up a few eggs and have them in a little container with an air stone. I'm curious what will happen.

7. Jaysee

I believe people add an anti fungal agent to the water for the eggs, when they are removed from the tank like that.

8. OP
    OP
    Colorado

What kind of antifungal--like Melafix or something. The eggs got fungal-y pretty fast. I just put them back into the tank and they were snapped up in a second.

9. Jaysee

10. Butterfly

methylene blue :)

Over the years I've learned as long as the current over the eggs is strong enough you don't need an anti-fungal.

The methylene blue needs to be taken out of the water by the time the eggs hatch. I imagine it's the same way with other anti-fungals.
    Carol

11. OP
    OP
    Colorado

I put an airstone in, but backed down the pressure since the eggs were getting blown all around--or is that OK for them?

12. Butterfly

It's fine if their moving around a little but you don't want them to bang against the glass/rock.
    The Parents roll them over and clean them with their mouth. The current makes sure they get plenty of oxygenated water flowing over them since mom/dad aren't there to move them around :)
    They should be hatching tuesday or wed.
    Carol

13. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member