Should I be worried?

1. octonaut Member Member

Should I be worrying? Tiger still hasn't had her fry, she's getting bigger by the day. I had her "due date" pegged as 5th, today is 28th!! I know that they can hold their fry for weeks, but what is the silly girl holding out for?

She's in a cycled tank on her own (0,0,5), no lights, lots of cover, varied diet, I've put an exclusion zone around the tank so she's not got intruders. What more can I do? should I cover her tank?

Husband reckons she's not pg, just been raiding the fridge at night...

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't be worried. Sometimes platies hold their fry for various reasons. I don't really know why but mine never seem to hold their fry. Is she the only one in the tank?? And have you had her with male platies before?

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

hahahah @ raiding the fridge...girl after my own heart :)

I would treat her as if shes not pregnant and let her have her lights and such..keeping her secluded could make her more skittish...she will drop them when she feels shes ready and its safe..a small water change and dropping the water temp a couple of degrees, could help also......plenty of cover (java moss is fabooo for fry) will give the babies a chance for sure :) good luck!

4. octonaut Member Member

I had to move her into a tank by herself as her (male) partner in crime started being vile to her. Date was worked out by taking the date she led a procession of males (1 platy, 2 guppies round the tank). I'm trying to get java moss, but it's surprisingly hard to find in this area! I'll try dropping the temp slowly over a few days.

I'm just not sure how to make her feel any safer.....