Should I be worried about my RCS disappearing?

1. xNick Member Member

A few days ago I added 10 RCS to my 20g long tank. Acclimatized them and they seemed to go ok, with all of them colouring up nicely and swimming around.

Fast forward to today and I can only see 3 (admittantly there could be some hiding behind some driftwood where I can't see...), however I have noticed 4 (I am 90% sure) sitting around.

Also in the tank are 9 neon tetras (added at the same time) and a whole bunch of MTS. The tank is moderately planted.

Few questions:
    1. I think 3-4 of them were pregnant, would they go into hiding if they were?

2. Is it normal for so many to moult at once? If they did moult are they hiding?

3. Are they all just hiding/sitting behind things? Would the neons eat them?

Ammonia and nitrites are at 0 ppm. Nitrates were at ~20 before a 15% water change yesterday.

Thanks.

2. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I would say don't stress. I don't have direct experience with FW RCS, however, I do have Peppermints in my Reef - They come out at feeding time, albeit cautiously, other than that, they pretty much stay in their 'home' (chosen spot) all day hidden in the protection of the dark and rocks etc., until the lights go off. Then they go scavenging around the tank.

Maybe try some dull light / blue moonlight during lights off to see what they're up to....

edit:
    Neons wouldn't eat RCS IMO - too big to fit in their mouth, and neons aren't predatory by nature (typically)

If they molted, yes they will hide until their shell firms up again, and they have protection. Pregnancy, I'm not sure, but more than likely they would hide.

Have you noticed any 'dead shrimp' (empty shells) floating around? If not, I wouldn't think they've molted yet.

3. xNick Member Member

The molts are whitish and there doesn't seem to be any flesh it it so I don't think they are bodies. The ones I see are gone in the morning (I expect the shrimp or MTS eat them at night)

4. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

More than possible they have molted (my SW molted in 2 days).

Keep an eye on your Calcium levels, and be prepared to supplement calcium. Do some research on "calcium supplements for shrimp" - I remember reading a few articles on FL ages ago about this.

Also, iodine supplements may be required.

BEFORE YOU DOSE ANYTHING TO YOUR TANK: if you're not testing for it, don't supplement it. That means don't dose iodine if you don't know your levels, don't dose calcium if you don't know your levels. And if you are going to dose (based on testing), then do it slowly. :)

5. iRun Member Member

Make sure your filter intakes are shrimp safe too. If they aren't, you may have a filter full of shrimp. I may or may not have learned this the hard way ;)

6. xNick Member Member

Had a quick look with a torch just now and was easily able to spot 6. I figure if I can spot that many the others are still hiding!

7. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

More than likely - try and figure out where they 'live', and then, the trick I've found, is to look for their antennae swaying in the flow - you won't always see the full shrimp, you need to spot the signs.

I started with 4 - didn't see any for a week, then they figure out where the food flows, and relocate - I now know where 3 are at all times - the other one I haven't seen for a while - I believe it's still alive, just found a good hiding spot (home out of my view)

Again - all my experience is with SW Peppermints - but shrimp behaviour is pretty similar from SW to FW.

8. xNick Member Member

Yeah, I know of one of their spots where 2-3 sit during the day (in between some driftwood). I guess I am just paranoid as these are the first shrimp I've had and they weren't cheap!

9. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

10. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You might want to back off with that torch. There are many species that will literally drop dead from shock when you do that.

Anyhoo...... if you're really concerned, you could drop 1/2 an algae wafer in. Within a few minutes, it will probably be covered with shrimp.

If you have good plant cover, and I recommend java moss, which seems to be their fave, they will hang in there when ready to give birth. I rarely see my saddled females but see them all the time when they are not saddled. Nothing will keep shrimp from good food, though. What are you feeding?

I don't think your neons will bother them.

11. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

RCS are great!! I feed mine algae wafers, Repashy gel and cucumber slices. The cucumber helps to count the shrimplets. I have about 25 from the last bunch. With only 2 females my 2.5G is already feeling crowded. And I have had them for only a couple of months!!

12. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

My RCS hide most of the day but when I feed a whole army comes out! It's surprising how well the hide.

13. xNick Member Member

Never thought of that - I will have to be careful next time :p

Also, here is a pic I took on the first night. Is this one a pregnant female?

U8K1a.jpg

14. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Shrimp don't get pregnant. She is holding eggs though!

15. xNick Member Member

Yeah, that's what I meant lol :;smack

That's good news then. Out of the 10 I got there were 4 or so carrying eggs :)