Should i be using thrive or thrive c?

Nickguy5467

im actually using thrive plus right now because i dont read things. i should probably start, surprised my fish are even alive at this point. anyway seems thrive plus are for high tech tanks with a low ph like below 7. from what i can tell and i havent been able to pin point it its somewhere beween 7.4 and 7.6? anyway thinking maybe i should switch to either basic or C? though I currently do dose co2 via gas injection, and isnt thrive C for tanks that dont use co2? i dont know. there isnt a lot of description on their items

edit: yes i noticed the piece fell off the power head and fixed it :p

IMG_20200807_174044728.jpg

jkkgron2

ThriveC is what I use and it also has carbon in it which makes planted tanks a lot easier IMO. Both would work but I prefer ThriveC

Nickguy5467

i already dose with co2 gas so would that make C pointless?

UnknownUser

C is for low tech low maintenance. Regular is for ... regular tanks. Some carbon injection used. S is for shrimp tanks. Plus is for high tech tanks.

Nickguy5467

UnknownUser said:
C is for low tech low maintenance. Regular is for ... regular tanks. Some carbon injection used. S is for shrimp tanks. Plus is for high tech tanks.
i still dont know the difference between high tech and low tech. someone once told me that if you use co2 injection you are pretty much high tech, but i dont really believe that fully

UnknownUser

I always based it on the plant types. I consider ones like Vals to be high tech because they need a lot of stuff to grow (co2, ferts, high light) and melt easily. Java fern is low tech cuz you can toss it in and forget about it and it’ll thrive (no pun intended). Anyone can add CO2 to a tank, even if there’s java fern and a moss ball in it. That doesn’t make it high tech (imo). So I go by the plant types.

Nickguy5467

yeah. i just have that sword that seems to be growing well. its certainly taller than when i got it, and rooted strongly. however all my plants have brown algae on them. the dwarf sag was growing well too when i had it in the middle but decided to move it , im assuming moving it interrupted that process, now im not sure what they are doing, hard to tell with all that algae, :p failed monte carlo in the middle. guess i should take that out at one point, though some is still green but i see no growth at all, java moss on the right doing whatever moss does?

UnknownUser

Doesn’t sound very high tech. Regular or C would be fine, but since you already dose co2 I’d probably do regular. As for brown algae, grab a few nerite snails, they’ll clean that right up.

Nickguy5467

UnknownUser said:
Doesn’t sound very high tech. Regular or C would be fine, but since you already dose co2 I’d probably do regular. As for brown algae, grab a few nerite snails, they’ll clean that right up.
thank you kind sir or madam

jkkgron2

UnknownUser said:
C is for low tech stuff?! Oops.... I may or may not be growing some carpeting plants (dwarf hairgrass) using that light. hilarious I’m glad I read this! I might need to get some regular instead

Cody

Really it’s just a balancing act when it comes to plants. With a Co2 system you aid in maximizing your plants potential for growth.

You don’t not have a ton of plants in your tank so even with Co2 injection I’m guessing a full dose of thrive plus is probably more that what is needed. But keep that is not that ThriveC won’t support a high tech tank. It’s just the assumption is a high tech tank will have High light, Co2 injection, and moderate to heavy plant mass. So with those three things assumed, the assumption is you will also have high nutrient uptake. So using a Thrive plus or regular vs C gives a higher nutrient concentration to ensure they are there for the plants when they need them. So someone dosing thriveC May find they need to “overdose” to avoid deficiencies than one of the other lines. And on the other spectrum. Using a high tech Fert regimen on a low tech setup may cause an Abundance of nutrients an cause algae or high nitrate issues. Meaning you could get away with dosing less.

Don’t get hung up on high vs low tech. I was told once that the only low tech is “no tech” and there is some truth to that. The high vs low just gives a good rule of thumb due to those assumptions I mentioned.

Watch your tank for algae and super high nitrates to judge if what your doing is excessive. And in the future maybe use a different line of thrive if you think you need to. But just know what you bought will be excellent for any plant. You just need to use it right.

Top Bottom