Should I Be Doing Water Changes While Doing Fish-in Cycling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lex1

Reaction score
I’ve been using Tetra Safe start and have read that when using that for fish in cycles I should go 14 days with no water changes. I’ve also read that Dailey water changes should be done to keep ammonia levels from being deadly. Which is the best way to go? I’m working on cycling a 6.5g with only my male betta in it. I don’t know if because it’s a smaller tank I should be doing the water changes, or if that will hinder the bacteria growth process.

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I’ve been using Tetra Safe start and have read that when using that for fish in cycles I should go 14 days with no water changes. I’ve also read that Dailey water changes should be done to keep ammonia levels from being deadly. Which is the best way to go? I’m working on cycling a 6.5g with only my male betta in it. I don’t know if because it’s a smaller tank I should be doing the water changes, or if that will hinder the bacteria growth process.
Test your water and do water changes accordingly, pour TSS directly into your filter and keep your tank around 79 to 80-ish. B.B. can’t live on your water column so water changes don’t make a difference in anything other than ammonia. As long as you don’t gravel vac or change media the cycle should be fine, fish in cycles take a little longer bc you can’t let the ammonia spike so you have to let the B.B. process around .5 ammonia then another.5 and so on until it’s stable. Be patient and continue testing.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You should be fine for that amount of water with a Betta. Enjoy your easily cycled tank. You can top up the tank water after 7 days if much has evaporated.

Fish-keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
With a tank that size doing a 30-50 percent water change is a requirement don’t worry about bacteria growth as that happiness in the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom