Should I be doing larger water changes?

1. k8XP

k8XP Valued Member Member

I have two HOB filters, AC 50 and a 10 on a planted 20g. It has been set up a few months and I have only been changing about 10% of the water once a week and vacuum the gravel real well... Is this not enough, should I do the same amount twice weekly, or maybe even change more water?

At the end of the week there is never any ammonia or nitrites, and Nitrates are about 15ish. (According to liquid API test kit) but have seen people on here saying a %30 percent weekly change is necessary.

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Since the purpose of the water change is twofold, to remove waste and replace trace minerals used by fish/plants, I like to do about a third a week. I'd keep an eye one nitrates if/when you increase amounts and make sure it stays above 10 ppm for the plants.

3. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

10% is fine, you don't necessarily need to change how much you're changing. I personally change out 20% a week in my 20G Planted, it just happens that my two buckets I use equals 20%.

If everything is healthy, and plants are doing well, nitrates are staying at or below 20ppm, I think you've got a good regime going.

4. OP
    OP
    k8XP

k8XP Valued Member Member

Alrighty : )

What would you guys say about filter maintenance, how often do you change the different media? I know a lot of people don't follow the instructions on the filter boxes. Last week I rinsed the sponge in old water, but it's all I've done. There was some nasty algae filled water at the bottom of my filter, but I didn't drain it cause I didn't know if I should.

5. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I don't use HOBs, but I would think weekly rinsing of the sponges is a good thing. Too, emptying the debris in the filter shouldn't be a problem.

I only use a canister, I service it when the flow in my tank diminishes (once every 6 months or so).

As for replacing media, unless it is falling apart and useless, there's no need to change it. If you do need to change any of your media, do it over a period time so as to keep the cycle in check. i.e. only replace the sponge, not all media at once.