Should I Be Concerned?

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My old 29g has just been sitting around for about a year now. The silicone is a little rough in spots. I cleaned it out really good. I put paper towels underneath and filled it up about 1/4 of the way and just let it sit for a good 15 minutes. There was absolutely nothing. Again, I rinsed it out. This time I took it back, put it on the stand, and started filling it up. In the process, I noticed what appears to be water between the glass and the brace. I suppose it could've got there while I was rinsing it out. I stopped filling up the tank. It's at 1/3 of the way filled. I've been watching it closely for 10 minutes, and it still looks exactly the same. What do you think? Is it okay to continue filling it up?
055DA45F-016B-44EC-ABCD-915D82278CD9.jpeg

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Update: It's been 30 minutes and it still looks exactly the same.

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Update: It's been 30 minutes and it still looks exactly the same.
I think after 30 minutes and it hasn't started dripping on the floor you should be good but since you previously said that the silicone was rough in spots I would re seal it just to be safe.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think after 30 minutes and it hasn't started dripping on the floor you should be good but since you previously said that the silicone was rough in spots I would re seal it just to be safe.
The silicone inside the glass is what's rough in spots. It's sealed on both sides though.

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The silicone inside the glass is what's rough in spots. It's sealed on both sides though.
Well just fill it up and keep an eye on it for a day or so. If you start noticing your paper towels are getting wet a re seal would be best. If you are talking about the inside of the glass where the two pieces meet that's not silicone but is a special type of glue for glass. I watch a lot of aquarium shows on TV and have seen some videos of how to build one and they use glue to put it together and silicone to seal it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom