Should I be concerned about Cory with missing eye?

Nianichole

Hi,
I just got an order today from Aqua Huna. Two blue-eyed lemon bristle nose plecos (they're itty bitty and so cute!) and six strebai corydoras. Everyone arrived alive, alert, and active and they are all in quarantine right now.

My question is, I noticed one of the corys is missing an eye. It doesn't look like a new injury. I'm thinking old injury or born that way. I'll try and get a picture next time he's facing the right direction. Should I be concerned? Would you say something to the seller, or just embrace the pirate corydoras?

Thanks!

PurpleReign19

Nianichole said:
Hi,
I just got an order today from Aqua Huna. Two blue-eyed lemon bristle nose plecos (they're itty bitty and so cute!) and six strebai corydoras. Everyone arrived alive, alert, and active and they are all in quarantine right now.

My question is, I noticed one of the corys is missing an eye. It doesn't look like a new injury. I'm thinking old injury or born that way. I'll try and get a picture next time he's facing the right direction. Should I be concerned? Would you say something to the seller, or just embrace the pirate corydoras?

Thanks!
If it looks like it was an old injury I dont think its a problem. If it looks fresh than I would contact the seller. Argh its ye pirate corydoras!

Betta'sAnonymous

I suppose you can say something if you want, but the fish will probably do fine. Should still be able to find food decent and move around and do ither cory stuff!

fallfever

While I would say something to the seller, a cory can function just fine with one eye. It gives him personality One of my favorite fish is a crooked spined harlequin rasbora that was in a tank alone that no one wanted. That was three years ago. Swims funny but gets along great.

PurpleReign19

fallfever said:
While I would say something to the seller, a cory can function just fine with one eye. It gives him personality One of my favorite fish is a crooked spined harlequin rasbora that was in a tank alone that no one wanted. That was three years ago. Swims funny but gets along great.
Aw its so funny when you have an oddball fish

Nianichole

Here are some pictures

ADFareMyFavorite

Nianichole said:
Here are some pictures
Awwwww, what character that Cory has! I too have a cory with a missing eye. Went to bed one night, and she had two eyes, but when I awoke the next morning she had only one. It looked as though the eye was just scooped out. No trauma visible around the area, and this was about 4 years ago. She has been doing great since. I call her "one eye" and she didn't have a name before it happened. I thought it was a one off, but now I know it wasn't. Thank you for sharing your photos.

PurpleReign19

Nianichole said:
Here are some pictures
Its ye pirate cory! Aye he is a cute lil fishie!

Nianichole

FreshwaterFins99 said:
If it looks like it was an old injury I dont think its a problem. If it looks fresh than I would contact the seller. Argh its ye pirate corydoras!
Thank you!

Yeah, that's what I'm planning to tell my kids (it's a pirate) if they notice. Pretty sure it will freak my daughter out otherwise. She's very sensitive about injuries/blood/ internal body stuff.
Betta'sAnonymous said:
I suppose you can say something if you want, but the fish will probably do fine. Should still be able to find food decent and move around and do ither cory stuff!
Awesome, glad to hear it will still be a happy corydoras!
fallfever said:
Thank you!

I also noticed today that one of my tetras has a crooked spine. Maybe they will be friends...
ADFareMyFavorite said:
Awwwww, what character that Cory has! I too have a cory with a missing eye. Went to bed one night, and she had two eyes, but when I awoke the next morning she had only one. It looked as though the eye was just scooped out. No trauma visible around the area, and this was about 4 years ago. She has been doing great since. I call her "one eye" and she didn't have a name before it happened. I thought it was a one off, but now I know it wasn't. Thank you for sharing your photos.
Thank you for sharing! This makes me feel better about it.

It was funny when I was first looking at him my brain was like... Something isn't right... But it took a minute or so for me to figure out what was wrong.

Mlou

While I probably would be ok with the Cory I would say something as it’s the seller who should make sure your fish are all healthy and complete. This is true with a missing eye or a missing pec fin etc. see what the seller say...if he/she doesn’t do good by you, then never get from that seller again. You didn’t order a one eye sterbai Cory.

PurpleReign19

Mlou said:
While I probably would be ok with the Cory I would say something as it’s the seller who should make sure your fish are all healthy and complete. This is true with a missing eye or a missing pec fin etc. see what the seller say...if he/she doesn’t do good by you, then never get from that seller again. You didn’t order a one eye sterbai Cory.
Thats true. It might be good to let them know it had an injury.

Nianichole

Just wanted to update, I let the seller know about the missing eye and asked some care questions. They immediately issued me a refund without me even asking, which is awesome.

Aqua Huna definitely gets the win for customer service.

Pirate Cory is still doing well

ADFareMyFavorite

That's awesome! Glad they were all over it!!

Deku-Cory

Honestly looks like he was born that way, and they just didn't notice it. Easy to miss something small like that when you're dealing with a tank full of Cories.
I'm sure he's going to be perfectly fine, and won't have any issues getting around. I'm glad to hear Aqua Hunt went above and beyond!

Nianichole

Deku-Cory said:
Honestly looks like he was born that way, and they just didn't notice it. Easy to miss something small like that when you're dealing with a tank full of Cories.
I'm sure he's going to be perfectly fine, and won't have any issues getting around. I'm glad to hear Aqua Hunt went above and beyond!
I agree, after observing him it does look like a birth defect rather than an injury and he seems fine despite it. I honestly would have been fine without the refund, but was pleasantly surprised that they issued one anyway.

Mlou

Glad this resolved in a good way with the seller. If it’s a birth defect I’m not sure I would keep it with the others if I want to have them breed. If you have no desire to raise fry then it’ll be ok as you can simply destroy whatever eggs are found. It’s just that when they start getting frisky, the half blind one can and most likely will participate. And you may not want that gene in the next gen if it’s a birth defect.

Nianichole

Mlou said:
Glad this resolved in a good way with the seller. If it’s a birth defect I’m not sure I would keep it with the others if I want to have them breed. If you have no desire to raise fry then it’ll be ok as you can simply destroy whatever eggs are found. It’s just that when they start getting frisky, the half blind one can and most likely will participate. And you may not want that gene in the next gen if it’s a birth defect.
This is a good point I hadn't considered. Thank you for pointing it out.

Mlou

Nianichole said:
This is a good point I hadn't considered. Thank you for pointing it out.
yeah I love a goofball “special” little guy as much as the next person, but genetics and Mother Nature are not kind.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom