Question Should i be concern about my clown loach size ?

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So about 12 months ago i purchased 4 clown loaches and a month later a 5th. They were all pretty young with the largest touching 2 inches. I was looking at my 2nd largest and measuring it and it was already touching 5 1/4 inches. I know how large clown loaches can become but i thought they would grow slower. My concern is that i have them in a 120 and i can't rehome them for another 18 months when I can put them in a 550 gallon tank. I had presumed they would grow slower but if they grow another 2 or 3 inches they are going to be pretty large before i move.

When I had clown loaches in college - i had them in a 70 for 3 years (a pair). I never really measure them but i don't think they exceeded 4 inches in 3 years hence my surprise at how fast these guys are growing. I have since learned there are different sub species of clowns (i can't really identify them very well) which might (or might not) explain why these are growing so fast.

How do i ask them to hold off on growing for another 18 months ?

Pahal4970

Reaction score
You need thirty gallons per clown. I don’t think they need a 550... 5’ll need a 150:)

OP
jake37

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
30 gallon is hardly enough for an adult clown loach so 30 gallon for what size clown ? Also this is a community tank so lots more than just clown loaches.

Pahal4970 said:
You need thirty gallons per clown. I don’t think they need a 550... 5’ll need a 150:)

Pahal4970

Reaction score
5 adults will need at least a 150 gallon tank – allow roughly 30 gallons of water per loach.Jul 13, 2019

im pretty sure this source is reliable

OP
jake37

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't want to argue with you but having seen a 13+ inch clown loach i assure you it would not fit in a 30 gallon tank.

Pahal4970 said:
5 adults will need at least a 150 gallon tank – allow roughly 30 gallons of water per loach.Jul 13, 2019

im pretty sure this source is reliable

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
5 clowns... you might want to look for a 600liter or more tank. You can only slightly influence the growth rate by lowering the temperature an feeding less. That's all I csn think of.

OP
jake37

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think my question is will they outgrow the 120 in 18 months. That's really my concern - long term i can find a suitable home. In 18 months they will be approx 3 years old (guessing that the 1.5 and 2 inch clowns i purchased were 3 to 6 months old).

MacZ said:
5 clowns... you might want to look for a 600liter or more tank. You can only slightly influence the growth rate by lowering the temperature an feeding less. That's all I csn think of.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jake37 said:
I think my question is will they outgrow the 120 in 18 months.
Short answer: Likely if the growth rate stays the same.

New Threads