Should I be adding minerals to my water?

Kyle7

Hi all I have a water softner in my house and I use a ph stabilizer to maintain 7.0 but was wondering if I should use some kind of additive to the water for minerals since the softner removes calcium, magnesium, and other minerals.

A201

Maybe just construct a limestone hardscape.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Agreed with above.

Adding minerals (or anything else, really) can be a bit risky. An overdose, underdose, or just plain forgetting to add the minerals to water change water can cause some pretty wild swings in parameters. Something like a limestone hardscape (or using small pieces of limestone rubble in your filter) will help it dissolve slowly and should take any risk out of the equation.

Also keep in mind that most fish will adapt just fine to almost any parameters (within reason), especially captive-bred varieties. Parameter swings are where the real dangers lie. So if you're planning to keep some soft water-loving species anyway, it may be best just to leave it be.

Upvote 0

jtjgg

what fish do you keep?

most water softeners have a bypass valve. if you have a python that attaches to your faucet, you can turn on the bypass valve and run the water for a few minutes to flush out the softened water in the pipes, then fill your tank. if you need a certain level of softness for a specific type of fish, you can mix softened water with the bypass unsoftened water.

also, most water softeners are plumbed to the pipes inside the house, and not connected to the outside spigots. the main water line T's off, one side goes into the house, and the other side to the outside spigots. i use the backyard water hose to do water changes.

Upvote 0

Kyle7

what fish do you keep?

most water softeners have a bypass valve. if you have a python that attaches to your faucet, you can turn on the bypass valve and run the water for a few minutes to flush out the softened water in the pipes, then fill your tank. if you need a certain level of softness for a specific type of fish, you can mix softened water with the bypass unsoftened water.

also, most water softeners are plumbed to the pipes inside the house, and not connected to the outside spigots. the main water line T's off, one side goes into the house, and the other side to the outside spigots. i use the backyard water hose to do water changes.
I keep neon tetras, cherry barbs, and shrimp in a planted aquarium. Thanks for the info on the bypass valve! I'm just going to do that from now on

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DaunnyJD
Replies
Views
grump299
Replies
Views
SchoolofFish
Replies