Should I assume my shrimp are already well fed?

happah

HI there,

So I have a few questions regarding the shrimp in my tank.

1) Should I assume my shrimp are already well fed?

I never fed them anything, and none of the fish food ever survived long enough for shrimp to get a chance. So Naturally I was worried the shrimp may not get all they need, so I purchased some gel food, I got a few spinach pellets and added adler cones and catapa leaves in the tank. Contrary to my expectations, all of these are almost untouched by shrimp. They still spend all their time between the plants or on the wood in the aquarium. Does this mean there's enough biofilm for them around, and I don't have to feed them?

2) They are all dead, aren't they?

So, to start from scratch: about 3 months ago, I added 13 blue tiger shrimp babys in the tank; a few weeks later, I added 9 crystal red shrimp and 9 red wine shrimp. Some other weeks later, I added 10 more blue tigers.

Everytime I added blue tigers, I saw them a little in the following days, and then they completely dissapeared. Red Wines and Crystals - for the first weeks I saw one now and then, but then they also dissapeared. So status quo: in the last 3 weeks I have not seen any single blue tiger, any single red wine and only 1 crystal red that is berried, and I get to see her once a week with luck.

Now I know shrimp find the tightest spots to hide...but since I didn't see those at all in the past month almost, is it safe to assume they're dead? Surprisingly enough, this happens only with the caridina species I have (had). All my neos are thriving and I can see them everywhere, with tons of babys between the mosses and plants. They even swim in the water column with the fish sometimes. The caridinas though....what the **** happened?

Water temp: 25-26
Gh: 13
pH: ~8
kH: 2

KimberlyG

I would suspect that pH but we will ask a few shrimp keepers. richie.p FishAreFriends24 Can't think of any more off hand.

CrazedHoosier

HI there,

So I have a few questions regarding the shrimp in my tank.

1) Should I assume my shrimp are already well fed?

I never fed them anything, and none of the fish food ever survived long enough for shrimp to get a chance. So Naturally I was worried the shrimp may not get all they need, so I purchased some gel food, I got a few spinach pellets and added adler cones and catapa leaves in the tank. Contrary to my expectations, all of these are almost untouched by shrimp. They still spend all their time between the plants or on the wood in the aquarium. Does this mean there's enough biofilm for them around, and I don't have to feed them?

2) They are all dead, aren't they?

So, to start from scratch: about 3 months ago, I added 13 blue tiger shrimp babys in the tank; a few weeks later, I added 9 crystal red shrimp and 9 red wine shrimp. Some other weeks later, I added 10 more blue tigers.

Everytime I added blue tigers, I saw them a little in the following days, and then they completely dissapeared. Red Wines and Crystals - for the first weeks I saw one now and then, but then they also dissapeared. So status quo: in the last 3 weeks I have not seen any single blue tiger, any single red wine and only 1 crystal red that is berried, and I get to see her once a week with luck.

Now I know shrimp find the tightest spots to hide...but since I didn't see those at all in the past month almost, is it safe to assume they're dead? Surprisingly enough, this happens only with the caridina species I have (had). All my neos are thriving and I can see them everywhere, with tons of babys between the mosses and plants. They even swim in the water column with the fish sometimes. The caridinas though....what the happened?

Water temp: 25-26
Gh: 13
pH: ~8
kH: 2
Shrimp are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrite. If your tank hadn't finished cycling, or was freshly cycled, it could've been what killed them.

KasumiKi

Rachel O'Leary on Youtube has a good video on how to tell if your shrimp need food. Basically if you can see them and they're actively grazing then they're fine. If they're swimming around or not really stopping anywhere to graze then they need some food. Boiled veggies can work great or some algae pellets. It depends on what your particular shrimp like to eat. Some shrimp also like Marimo moss balls to graze on.

That pH is WAY too high!! Most shrimp need a pH of below 7 at least! Some shrimp are ok with a neutral pH but most shrimp need a lower pH. I know that crystal reds need a pH of around ~6.4 ish. Some shrimp are different than others though and you would need to do some research to check water parameters and individual needs of each kind of shrimp. And as CrazedHoosier mentioned shrimp are sensitive to water quality so you need to have a cycled tank with lots of available biofilm or algae or be providing food for them before adding them.

Kathryn Crook

Someone will come
I would suspect that pH but we will ask a few shrimp keepers. richie.p FishAreFriends24 Can't think of any more off hand.
sfsamm too.

happah

The tank is cycled, and there have been no ammonia/nitrite spikes.

Hm - the pH comes like this from the tap water; thing is, one of the people I bought the blue tiger shrimp also keeps them in the same tap water, and they thrived and multiplied.

Is there any way to reduce the pH safely, slowly and consistently to a neuter value?

Kathryn Crook

Neos and cardinias normally can't be in the same tank, they need different perameters. They can survive maybe, but breeding will be an issue, but I'm no expert on that. Hopefully our shrimpy people will come on soon. There are also some excellent vids on shrimp keeping on youtube too. They may help.

richiep

For the crystals you need certain water perameters that can only real be achieved using RO WATER. Where your neocaradina will get on great with the water you've got I would like ph 7.5and kh 3 or 4 but they are thriving in your tank so keep thing as they ar as it's working for you and stability is a must. Now then as for crystals it's s all new ball game your water needs to be ph 6.5 gh 5 KH 2 or 3 this is a must for them to survive with what you've got will not only stop them breeding but you can have moult issues which will lead to death, I breed neocaradina and caradina in the same tank but water perameters are on such a fine and can only be achieved using RO WATER, I would recommend at this time just keeping neocaradina as they are thriving, don't put caradina in with them. Ide be very surprised if the berried crystal survives even if the hatch I think moult issues will finish them of. Also your shrimp you have now will breed faster due to high water temperature but their life will be shortened, if you drop the temp to 22.5sih they will live longer and your colony will still thrive but it up to you it's not a must, on the food side the alder cones are full of antifungal properties and they wI do a good job just leave them there it not something they feed on all the time that also hose for catapa leaves these don't come into their own until the biofilm builds up on them and over time you will see the leave start to disappear that's the shrimp eating it and that will take months, it would be a good idea to try some fresh spinach put in boiling water for 40 seconds cool under the tap push onto wooden scuer and push into substrate, look at my Avatar! If they don't eat it take it out after a few hrs and try again a few days later,

KasumiKi

Personally I use Seachem's Neutral Regulator and then Seachem's Acid Regulator. The Neutral Regulator buffers the water so that the pH remains stable. But Kathryn Crook is right that there are species that just require different parameters. So you'd need to look into that and research what each one of them needs.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
1billybob
Replies
Views
Shrimpee
Replies
Views
happah
  • Question
Replies