Should I Adopt/give Away My Goldfish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by wapooshe, Aug 4, 2017.

1. wapooshe

wapooshe Valued Member Member

Currently I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 fancy goldfish and they have been living for about 6 months now. One goldfish (Susan) always seems healthy despite bad tank chemistry, and my other goldfish (wapooshe) has had a swim bladder issue for 5 months (I've done all sorts of treatment, and its not working). I'm starting to think that while they might survive they wont be happy and to be honest having wapooshe look like he's dead all the time isn't appealing to the tank. I'm pondering adopting wapooshe, but I doubt anyone will take care of him well due to his problem. Anyways I can't upgrade as of now and would appreciate your opinions and recommendations.

P.s. For swim blatter I did the pea treatment I you know another treatment please say so :)

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

The peas only act as a laxative and won't treat it. Fasting the goldfish for 3 days usually makes it better, but there might be better treatments that I don't know of.

3. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

I recommend rehoming as ur tank is too small. For a fancy 40g is required and 10g per fancy thereafter. What r ur parameters?

4. j

jenag145 Valued Member Member

You've done all of this???

Treatment
    Do not feed for 3 days, then feed skinned peas
    Increase water temp to 80
    Lower the water level to make it easier to reach the surface
    Hand feed during treatment, if needed
    Use broad spectrum antibiotic if indicated

5. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

No I didn't do the temp rise, nor antibiotic

6. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

What do you mean by bad tank chemistry?

It's a lot of work, but sometimes you can make a tank 'bigger' short term by doing greater than normal water changes. Get your fish healthy with the improved water quality, then adopt them out, and get more appropriate fish for your 20.

7. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

I definitely would if I could but a 40gallon is too big for my room and I can't afford to buy a new stand and aquarium :/ this is why I'm pondering on adopting away one fish so that the waste is decreased.

By bad I mean its inconsistent. I do weekly changes of 50% (not enough ik) sometimes I get ammonia of .1-.2 and sometimes it goes up to 1.0-3.0! This all depends on how much I feed them. I'm sure if I took more responsibility and did daily water changes it would be better. Adopting them out is sort of a last resort thing and I'm sure my family members would disapprove, on the note of possibly keeping both fish is it possible if I started doing like 20% daily water changes I could keep them?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2017
  8. Caitlin86

Goldfish do have a large bio load. With consistent water changes, checking parameters and adequate filtration u may be able to keep parameters stable but free swimming room for ur fish needs to be considered as well.

EDIT- If u cant keep parameters stable bc u do not perform consistent tank maintenance it would be cruel to keep ur fish. This toxicity is extremely stressful to ur fish lowering their immune systems making them susceptible to parasites, viruses and bacteria.

9. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

try sinking the pellets when you feed it

10. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

They would be happier if you did frequent water changes, and healthier. Their living conditions wouldn't be ideal, but it would be better for the living animals you're custodian of. The only question is whether you'd be able to keep up with the frequent changes, and you're the only one who can answer that. If you're using buckets maybe a Python water change system would help you out.

I know your family might not be happy if you re-homed your fish to a place with better conditions, but they shouldn't really be happy with sick, and possibly dead, fish, either. There are a lot of fish you can keep in a 20 (and by a lot I mean a lot of different kinds, not that you should keep a lot of fish in a tank that small :)) and they'd be perfectly happy. And if you intentionally light stock it your maintenance time goes down.

I know you say you don't have room for a larger tank, but sometimes you can figure things out. You can check places like CraigsList and find people moving or getting out of the hobby who sell things cheap or give them away, and don't forget garage sales. Walk in, ask, "Do you have any aquarium stuff?" because sometimes it's too big to put out, but they really want it out of their rafters.

11. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

40 gallons isn't even big enough for one full grown fancy goldfish of any kind.

12. Shane Dostie

Shane Dostie Valued Member Member

Fancy goldfish only need 20 gallons for each fish. If you don't believe me I get that information straight from professionals in the hobby.

Is your tank cycled? 50 percent per week isn't bad, 70 percent would be the best though. Maybe you just need some stronger filtration that all. If you are feeding them at the surface avoid that because that can cause buoyancy issues. Best of luck I would suggest getting an intex 90 gallon tub and getting a few more goldfish! Keep the tub in a garage with adequate heating.

13. Mike1995

professionals in the hobby would never give you that info. Fancy goldfish get big. Not as big as a common goldfish. But big enough. I don't think you really understand how small 20 gallons is.

some fancy goldfish can reach upwards of 10"+. Use some common sense in tank size. It would just as bad as trying to put an Oscar in 20 gallons

14. Shane Dostie

That's just what I heard from professionals. A 20 gallon long tank seems plenty for one fancy.

15. Caitlin86

That is not true. A 40g isnt suited for a common/comet goldfish but a 40g is suited for one fancy.

16. Shane Dostie

Agreed. Commons get very big and need at least 60-80 gallons. Practically koi.

17. Caitlin86

Commons need ponds LOL

18. Shane Dostie

That'd be ideal. Problem is with ponds is that when winter comes they need to be put somewhere inside.

19. Mike1995

If you take good care of a fancy, it will get big. 20 gallons isn't going to cut it

20. Caitlin86

I agree with 20g being 2 small..but 40g is adequate for one...imo a 60g would be perfect for a pair...of course with adequate filtration and routine tank maintenance as we all now how messy goldfish r.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice