Should I Add My Fish Yet?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ElenaBruzzese, Aug 25, 2019.

1. ElenaBruzzese

ElenaBruzzeseNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    I bought a betta fish 2 months ago in a little container (0.5 gallons) uneducated on their needs. (I clean this once a week It has been one week since i set up my new tank (5 gallon) and i am wondering if I should add my fish yet. I am aware of the nitrogen cycle but the current container he is in doesn’t have a heater, filter etc. I also have marimo moss balls. I am just stumped for what would be better for him. Also I can’t afford a test kit but i can test the water every two weeks at a local fish shop. They also didn’t give me a used filter pad. I attached what i use in the tank daily.

Attached Files:

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,079
    Experience:
    2 years
  3. OP
    OP
    ElenaBruzzese

Ratings:
    +1
    I haven’t gone yet, going sometime this week. I’ll let you know when i do though. I was just wondering if i should leave it for now.

4. abbytherookiehuman

abbytherookiehumanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    2 years
    If your beta has survived this long in that little thing it can last a couple more days. I know it sucks but it’s better than putting him in an uncycled tank and hurting or killing him. Just give the new tank a little time to cycle properly

5. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,079
    Experience:
    2 years
    It’s a tough call if your not able to test the water yourself daily. Being that your 5 is new it’s most likely not cycled and the .5 he is in is keeping him alive then I would work on getting a test kit and also a bottle of Prime. What are you feeding the 5 gallon to get the cycle going? Ammonia, fish foods, bottled bacteria?

6. OP
    OP
    ElenaBruzzese

Ratings:
    +1
    At the moment I am using fish food and that API stress zyme bottle (recommended my the fish shop) I also get some of the waste in the container every water change which i put in the tank also. I can also get a bottle of prime next visit. I don’t think there is much I can really do without a test kit, i’ll definitely try but for now what would you say I should do?

7. Jimmie93

Jimmie93Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +109
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You can go ahead and add it but you need to do extra water changes until the tank is fully cycled probably 2-3 per week instead of one but it's better to get test kits so you can remove water when the nitrates is high.

8. OP
    OP
    ElenaBruzzese

Ratings:
    +1
    Also, I just realised my friend has a 20 gallon and I could ask her for a filter pad maybe? Would this work? What should I ask her to give me? She also has a bunch of different fish including goldfish i think? i’m not sure i’ll let you know, thank you so much for your help! All i want is for my fish to be happy.

Ok
    thank you i’ll definitely wait a little longer until it’s cycled then.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2019
  9. Jimmie93

Ratings:
    +109
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    If her tank is cycled it will work just take the pad directly out his tank and put it water so the bacteria doesn't die.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  10. OP
    OP
    ElenaBruzzese

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry for bothering you! The last option is to go to the fish shop and buy water that they have in their tanks which would already be cycled, if i did this would it work and how much water would i need if you know. Thanks

Sorry could you rephrase this?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2019
  11. Jimmie93

Ratings:
    +109
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Bacteria lives on substrate (gravel), filter pads, glass not the water itself that would be a waste. But if your friend isn't willing to give you a used filter pad you can go to her house and rinse her pad out in a bucket of water then quickly add that dirty water to your tank. This isn't going to fully cycle the tank but it will give it a jump start.

12. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,704
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Your fish is living in a tiny uncycled, unheated unfiltered container.

If I were in this situation I would move this little guy over to the 5 gallon tank. If you can get some seeded filter media from your friend it should instantly cycle this tank.

Since the bacteria doesn't live in the water getting water from the fish store wouldn't help at all. We don't cycle the water. We cycle the tank. Bacteria grows on all the surfaces in the tank so anything you can get from your friends tank should help jump start this tank. A well seeded sponge is the best option but a piece of filter material would also work.

You want to make sure your friends tank is healthy before using anything from that tank in yours though.

Once you move your little guy over you will want to do no less than a 50% water change every week. If you can't get any seeded media and since you don't have a way to test your water you may want to change out 50% of the water every 3 days until you can get it tested.

I do highly recommend you get a bottle of SeaChem Prime. It is first and foremost a water conditioner but goes one step farther and detoxes low levels of ammonia. It is very concentrated so it just takes a little bit of it. Until you are sure this tank is fully cycled you will want to add enough Prime to treat the full 5 gallons each time you do a 50% water change.

Once the tank is cycled you only have to add enough to treat the water you are replacing.

13. Donthemon

DonthemonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +434
    Experience:
    4 years
    Move him. Where he is now is horrible. Follow mattgirl’s advice.

14. Faytaya

FaytayaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    You have a few options based on what I've read:

1) keep him in his current location until cycled. It's been a week, and cycles can take a couple months, so this method Is not recommended.

2) get a used filter pad from your friend as suggested above. I'd follow mattgirl's recommendations.

3) Place your fish in the uncycled tank and do a fish-in cycle. (This requires a test kit or strips at the very least.) You'll need to check parameters daily, do a 50% water change every other day, and double dose your tank with seachem PRIME in order to detoxify ammonia and keep your fish safe.

I second the opinion that your betta's current living conditions are unsuitable. Do your best to move him to his 5 gal as soon as possible. Good luck. :)

15. abbytherookiehuman

abbytherookiehumanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    2 years
    They jus mean that you shouldn’t just grab the filter pad and take it home to put it in your tank. All the good bacteria that is growing on the pad will die as they are just like tiny microbial fish. They need to stay in water. Take the sponge in a container or bag of your friends tank water so they don’t dry out and die

16. OP
    OP
    ElenaBruzzese

Ratings:
    +1
    Ok so i asked my friend and she said sure, she is clean her tank this saturday and that’s when she will give it to me. My only concern is that she said her tank is really dirty (to the point where you can’t even see the fish) I was unaware of this and i don’t think i should get it anymore. What’s your take on this? Thank you so much again! I’ll try and get a picture of her tank today.

17. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,704
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It depends on what is causing this tank to seem dirty. Is it possible that it is just algae on the glass?

Before I say yes it is a good idea to get the filter media from your friends tank or no, definitely don't get any and put it in your tank I need to know more about her tank.

18. LeahsTank

LeahsTankWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +486
    Experience:
    3 years
    Move the fish to the new tank. Bigger is always better. You can put some of the gravel in a cup and put it in the new tank until the filter cycles.

19. Faytaya

FaytayaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    I'd say add no more than what the filter you're moving can handle. If its rated to move 30 gals, stock for 15, for 40, 20 and so on. You can add a new filter on top of the old one and after a few months add more fish too. Just be prepared in case of an ammonia spike, they can happen sometimes, even to the best prepared people. Make sure you stock up on PRIME and get a liquid test kit. :)

20. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Move the betta and put his current container in the tank as well with the filter water running over it. The cup he is in will have some BB on it that will help the cycle along in the new tank. Hopefully it will fit.