Question Should I add my bettas?

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'll do my best to explain this.
So, for a year I've kept 2 male bettas in separate 2.5 gallon tanks. I did weekly 100% water changes and scrubbed tank, gravel, heater, and decor. Tank did not have a filter. And obviously, due to scrubbing and 100% wcs, it never cycled. I am currently upgrading them to a split 10 gallon that I'm cycling.
Cycle is not finished. I have prime, api master test, and waiting on tetra safestart and diy divider materials (arriving on Wed)
Should i add them add soon as tank has divider?
Thank you all!

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well the other tanks aren't cycled anyways. And they really should have at least 5 gallons each. So I would say yes. Otherwise I would say no.

redmare

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
hmm, an interesting problem. do you have some test strips at least to test your current water? theres a chance it's more cycled than you think.. do you know how far along the cycle is in your 10 gallon? i would at least wait until you get that prime to put them in. that will help get them through the new cycle.

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
redmare said:
hmm, an interesting problem. do you have some test strips at least to test your current water? theres a chance it's more cycled than you think.. do you know how far along the cycle is in your 10 gallon? i would at least wait until you get that prime to put them in. that will help get them through the new cycle.
Sorry. I wasn't clear. I currently have prime and test kit. Waiting on divider materials and tetra safestart.
It's only been set up for a week. There are 2 sponge filters and a bunch of shrimp pellets in tank right now

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since the smaller tanks aren't cycled either I'd probably go ahead and move them.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh wait, I missed the part of not having dividers, I wouldn't move them yet then sorry! Maybe move one but not the other until you have the divider.

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FinalFins said:
You say you are waiting on divider material?

I would say no. No divider = dead fish
I wasn't planning on moving them until divider got here. I'm not that stupid

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Once you get the divider, if the small tanks aren't cycled I would move them. More water= diluted ammonia. It'll be safer and less water changes.

New Threads