Should I Add More Substrate To 55 Gallon? Question

1. Billy T

Billy T Valued Member Member

image.jpg image.jpg I have one more 4 gallon bucket with more substrate. Does this look like enough or should I add more. Thanks

2. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

It depends on what you're going to do with the tank.

Are you trying to set up a planted tank, and you're wondering if that's deep enough for plants to root? It looks to me like it is.

If you're concerned about if it's enough substrate for your fish...I'm sure it probably is, but what kind of fish are you planning on getting? Most community fish don't care how deep the substrate is, but there are some fish that do care. There are also fish that care about they type of substrate that is used. Like if you want to know if that's deep enough for a peacock eel to burrow in, it is, but it's the wrong type of substrate for that fish.

3. OP
    OP
    Billy T

4. IHaveADogToo

Yeah you're absolutely fine. Just put in however much substrate looks good to you. You're the one who has to look at it every day. Functionally, those fish don't really care what you do with the substrate.

5. OP
    OP
    Billy T

Cool. Think they will all get along. I know Tiger Barbs are aggressive but I’ve seen some things suggesting I could be ok

6. IHaveADogToo

The shark will be territorial and might not like the pleco, as they're both bottom dwellers. That's the only potential problem jumping out at me. If you provide enough caves and hiding places it might not be a problem, though.

7. OP
    OP
    Billy T

Yeah I have a pretty big piece of drift wood, a cave I was gonna add, and was thinking of a small flower pot, to start

8. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Valued Member Member

Well a lot of fish prefer sand, like Cichlids/Plecos/Sharks/catfish

9. picolo003

picolo003 Valued Member Member

You have enough substrate for plants and none of the fish that you want really need substrate

10. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Seems like enough to me. If you want to add plants, a bit more might be ideal, but you can get away with this.

11. OP
    OP
    Billy T

Shark may go after both, but would a simease algae eater be better then pleco. Or maybe SAE instead of shark with the Bristlenose pleco. Shark just kinda adds that cool factor but I could sacrifice or move one if it doesn’t work out

12. Adriifu

SAEs get just as aggressive as sharks, if not more. My albino rainbow shark constantly lunges at the danios, but never actually harms them. They're used to her and she seems to get them to school more often. I'd suggest getting a really young shark and observing from there. My shark doesn't really bother my bristlenose pleco unless she wants the spinach he's eating.

13. OP
    OP
    Billy T

Awesome. Thanks everyone for the replies. Any suggestions on the order I should stock?

14. IHaveADogToo

most peaceful fish first, most aggressive fish last.

15. Adriifu

Agreed with above.

16. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Valued Member Member

My rainbow shark and my blood parrot head butt eachother and its hilarious to watch they’re idiots hahah

17. OP
    OP
    Billy T

So probably Danios and the bristlenose pleco first? Then tigerbarbs and shark last? Also seen its probably better to add 5 tiger barbs at a time

18. Adriifu

Yeah. I would add the tiger barbs before the shark. A bit iffy about danios and tiger barbs together. The tiger barbs get aggressive around other fish. It may work out, but a larger school of just tiger barbs may be more ideal.