Should I add more fish?

AquaDuk

Reaction score

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid you were overstocked with just the danio, guppies and corydoras. With the 2 platy's you are already about 50% overstocked. I wouldn't add anymore fish to that tank.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea, you'll want to do partial water changes 2 or 3 times a week with the tank being overstocked. When you could get another tank, you could move fish to it after it cycles and add new fish. You can look up the adult sizes of your fish here & see how many inches of fish you have and use the 1" per gallon rule.

tb19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You seem to have 15 inches of fish in there. Zebra Danio=2 + Platies 2(2)=4 + Corys 2.5(2)=5 + Guppies 2(2)=4
its a bit over so just test the water weekly for any nitrate changes
and do 50% water changes 2 times a week
they should be fine

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
AquaDuk said:
I have a question. Right now in my 10 gallon aquarium tank, I have 1 zebra danio, 2 male guppies, 2 assorted corydoras, 1 blue platy, and 1 sunset platy. I was wondering if I could maybe put in 1 swordtail or 2 cherry barbs. Should I? Or should I not?
You know, I would stop right there. I know you'd like more fish, but overstocking is never good. Just monitor your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If your tank is already cycled, monitor your water mostly for nitrate and pH (although you should check about once a week for ammonia and nitrite even in a cycled tank). You don't want your nitrate to go above 20 ppm. Some will say up to 40 ppm of nitrate is safe for fish, but I don't believe this. Nitrate this high is very unhealthy. So try to keep it below 20 ppm at all times. Of course, it would be best to have 0 nitrate! You control nitrate content in your water by regular water changes. Once a week, say 30% in your tank, should be OK. Although, when a tank is overstocked, you will often need more frequent water changes. Like I said, keep checking your nitrate often so that you have an idea how fast it increases. It will tell you how often and how much water to change. (But regular water changes are nevertheless the best, even if your water parameters are good.) Good luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom