29 Gallon Tank Should I add Corydoras? Stocking a 29G

Kyleeisenhauer

Reaction score
I have a planted 29G with 1 full grown angelfish, 6 tiger barbs, and 1 4” common pleco. All water parameters and husbandry is kept up consistently. 30% water changes weekly. Very healthy tank, etc.
I know the pleco is going to have to go at some point. I have a 55G I’d like to move him to eventually, but for now he’s nice to have in the 29G.
My question is if I could add corydoras? I would ideally like a school of 5. Not sure exactly what species yet, but I’m leaning towards the emeralds because of how beautifully they age. Would I have to remove the Pleco before adding Cory’s? There’s plenty of places for the Cory’s to roam while the pleco hides in his deep wooden cave. I just wouldn’t want to offset the balance and it’s always good to double check before adding 5 fish and risking a collapse!

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could, but you would have to increase water change size or how often you do them. You don't have to move the pleco as long as the corys have their own space.

esqueff

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah with the pleco that small I think its totally fine for now in you 29. In my 55 I have a 12 inch common pleco (beginner mistakes lol) along with 8 emerald corys. They all get along just fine. I agree its fine as long as you have a place for the pleco to claim as its spot.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry but I disagree on the pleco. I'd never keep a fish in a tank that is almoat the size of the fish itself grown out. Big fish need a huge tank even when small (to healthy grow out). Besides that it will have a huge bioload. I'd think about Corys after the pleco is gone.

New Threads