Should I Add Any More Fish?

Kstambaugh11

Reaction score
How about the bio load of each fish type? I want to keep as many fish as possible, and my filter size is made to filter 50 up to 75 gallons.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Keeping as many fish as possible isn't the goal here in fish keeping. Are they female betas? Having two dwarf gouramis isn't a good idea. Next, you need AT LEAST three more pictus catfish. Your putting them in the bare minimum tank. Not a good idea. I would rehome them if you can. Now, add a few more black skirt tetras. They like to be in groups of 6+.

Kstambaugh11

Reaction score
Ok, I could do that, my friend loves catfish...
And I've had the gouramis for about 2 months, and I'vehad no problems with them. The swordtails actually chase them around sometimes! It's adorable, and none of them nip fins

david1978 said:
Honestly im not sure what "rules" about bettas apply to a bigger tank.
Yeah, I was told by someone that if I keep too many females around a male they could become eggbound and die. Is that true?

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Females become egg bound when they mature no matter if there are males by or not. Second, I've had a couple sororities in my years. Best to keep them by themselves. Having two betas isn't a good idea. Is it a female or male? Or both?

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Filter ratings can be misleading, and don’t take bioload into account. I’m only 8 months or so into this hobby, and after having lost a bunch of fish to this and that, and having upsized my main tank by 50%, I find myself understocked and loving it. So I agree with @Sarah73 that the goal is not to maximize numbers or species of fish.
What happens if u don’t add more fish? What’s your reason for wanting more?

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
bitseriously said:
Filter ratings can be misleading, and don’t take bioload into account. I’m only 8 months or so into this hobby, and after having lost a bunch of fish to this and that, and having upsized my main tank by 50%, I find myself understocked and loving it. So I agree with @Sarah73 that the goal is not to maximize numbers or species of fish.
What happens if u don’t add more fish? What’s your reason for wanting more?
I'm around 7 years into this hobby haha. Anyway, if you are wanting to add many fish, get a much bigger tank. If You get like a 125 gallon, you could add many convict cichlids because they are suppose to be over stocked to keep tensions down/fighting.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i have 2 males and 13 females in a 75 with some other fish now for over 2 years with no issues. Gypsy has 2 males with other fish in a 40 breeder. So i guess what im trying to say is once you get to a certain size tank anything is possible. Please no betta people take this wrong way but all i see is small tank thinking.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
david1978 said:
i have 2 males and 13 females in a 75 with some other fish now for over 2 years with no issues. Gypsy has 2 males with other fish in a 40 breeder. So i guess what im trying to say is once you get to a certain size tank anything is possible. Please no betta people take this wrong way but all i see is small tank thinking.
This is a beginner person. Don't try to prove that you can do it. Yes, you can success in having two males, but there is a reason why most people don't. Especially beginners.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That wasnt what i was trying to say. What im trying to explain is the "rules" that apply to a small tank dont necessarily hold true to a bigger tank.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you have a python? Aka syphon? Do you have a filter? If not i would get one, use prime to remove all of the harmful stuff in your water. Also you can split it into a betta tank, but i would just buy a few five gallon tanks and put them in there. They wont try to jump over into another tank haha. For water changes, focus on the gravel but dont over do it. ALSO dont rinse your sponge clear or your hob filter pad.

Kstambaugh11

Reaction score
I do have a water change siphon, but I just bought a pump bulb for it (it was driving me insane trying to get the right adapter, never did find one). I do not have sponge in my filter, it's a marineland penguin 350, 4 filters that I change 2 out every 2weeks or so.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom