10 Gallon Tank Should I add another snail?

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I personally wouldn't add anything else to that tank, especially since you mention in your aquarium details you let the tank cycle and added all of these fish on Jan 1st. That's a lot of fish to add at once and mystery snails have massive bioloads. I'd wait it out and watch your water parameters for a couple months before considering adding anything else.

Ssnaaiil

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nerites are better than mysteries at cleaning up algae and nerites can't reproduce in freshwater (they need brackish), but females will lay infertile eggs on tank Decorations. so if you get another mystery you could end up with eggs/babies unless you get rid of the egg clutches. Mystery snails can also store sperm for months and lay eggs later on so with the one mystery you have now there's still a chance you could end up with eggs...

What are you wAnting another snail for??

OP
W

Wantaprettytank

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just cuz I like them but yeah I guess I won’t thanks guys

Ssnaaiil

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I also agree with e_watson09 that you should wait a bit to add anymore critters to your tank since you motorcycles your tank and added all those fish/snail not that long ago

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wantaprettytank said:
You can always look into it in the future just give your tank time to ensure the bioload of the new fish didn't throw your tank back into the cycle again.

OP
W

Wantaprettytank

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
okay I hope I didn’t throw anything off because I changed about 50% of the water last night

Ssnaaiil

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wantaprettytank said:
If you are looking for another snail just because you like them then I think mysteries are more active and fun to watch, at least in my experience. I have 4 mysteries and 1 Nerite and I barely seethe Nerite but the mysteries go everywhere and are constantly moving, I love my snails... But maybe wait a bit before adding anything else and maybe think about upgrading your tank size so you can have more fish/snails. I started out with a fish bowl and realized that wasn't good and a couple days later I got a 10 gallon then a few months after that I bought a 35 gallon tank and now I'm saving up for a 50-60 gallon tank :)

New Threads