Should I Add Another Light?

Süßwasserfisch

Reaction score
Currently I have a 156 led full spectrum koval light on my 75 and recently added some bacopa and lorentziana and after a week they seem to be lacking in growth I've removed multiple yellow leaves from the bacopa with minimal root growth I have Argentine Amazon and rosette sword all growing good. Is it not enough light? The water is somewhat black at least not as black as other pictures I've seen. I use API co2 booster every day it just seems the bacopa and lorentziana aren't doing well my pennywort is doing fine though. I have an extra beamswork et series with 108 led full spectrum putting out 6500k so should I add it??? Not worried about algae I can combat that accordingly

candiedragon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was told bacopa (save for pennywort) thrive on high lighting so that might be the case. So adding on a light if that works for you might just help.

However, yellowing leaves could possibly be an indication of some kind of deficiency. If you're not already, you may want to consider dosing fertilizer accordingly. You could either do root tabs or liquid, or both. Some popular brands I would recommend would be Seachem Flourish, Nilocg ThriveS (marketed for shrimp, but really the only difference is less nitrates), and Aquarium Coop's Easy Green.

OP
Süßwasserfisch

Süßwasserfisch

Reaction score
BusterBot28 said:
Do you dose ferts?
Of course

I use seachem flourish and advance and use API co2 booster every other day. I had flourish tabs but switched to advance when these leaves started yellowing the other day. I've got my tannins exa tly how I want them and the water is slightly dark. The plants were doing fine up until a few days ago. I've got a lot of root growth off the plants even the lorentziana with some new leaf growth also. Could they have just been acclimating to the tank? I've never kept these planta before so I have no idea what to expect. I've got growth but lost tons of leaves initially. Could it have been the water parameters? My tank hobes around 6.9 7.2

I took my lids off yesterday and realized they had all kinds of algae growth on the tank side. I cleaned that off and now this morning the tank is bright like before can't believe I didn't notice it thanks guys

danhutchins

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Süßwasserfisch said:
Currently I have a 156 led full spectrum koval light on my 75 and recently added some bacopa and lorentziana and after a week they seem to be lacking in growth I've removed multiple yellow leaves from the bacopa with minimal root growth I have Argentine Amazon and rosette sword all growing good. Is it not enough light? The water is somewhat black at least not as black as other pictures I've seen. I use API co2 booster every day it just seems the bacopa and lorentziana aren't doing well my pennywort is doing fine though. I have an extra beamswork et series with 108 led full spectrum putting out 6500k so should I add it??? Not worried about algae I can combat that accordingly
The co2 booster is probably what's killing your plants. I would recommend dosing some fertilizers to get optimal growth. If you don't already have pressurized co2 I would recommend that as well. The co2 booster is only good to use every so often to combat algae not to use as co2. That's why it's a co2 "booster". Your lighting is probably fine.

OP
Süßwasserfisch

Süßwasserfisch

Reaction score
danhutchins said:
The co2 booster is probably what's killing your plants. I would recommend dosing some fertilizers to get optimal growth. If you don't already have pressurized co2 I would recommend that as well. The co2 booster is only good to use every so often to combat algae not to use as co2. That's why it's a co2 "booster". Your lighting is probably fine.
You didn't read my reply or you would've seen the issue. My light has been on since 6:45 and it looks great. I've been using co2 booster for years. Seachem Advance combats algae while providing fertilizer for the roots. Never heard of co2 booster combating algae if anything I think it would encourage it........ And again if you look at my reply you see what fertilizer I use. I also dose all my tanks with the same fertilizers and have been for years now it was this oneotank that was acting up and I already posted why it was such dI'm lighting in my tank. But your continuing to tell me to fertilize when I've made it clear that I do. co2 booster from API states that it does two things: provides co2 as well as organic carbon compounds to aid plants in photosynthesis. It can be used alone or dose with a co2 system. Safe for fish and will not alter pH. Used with root tabs and leaf zone for full effect. If you use too much which I've seen you can end up with all kinds of algea. I'm using flourish tabs and flourish by seachem soon to be switching everything over and using advance. Please don't try and lecture or educate me on something ive read every other day for 7 years. And IMO the co2 kits are not required more or less they help get things filled in faster. I've had two very heavily planted setups for my 75 and 20s over the years and have never used one I've just used co2 booster

danhutchins

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Süßwasserfisch said:
You didn't read my reply or you would've seen the issue. My light has been on since 6:45 and it looks great. I've been using co2 booster for years. Seachem Advance combats algae while providing fertilizer for the roots. Never heard of co2 booster combating algae if anything I think it would encourage it........ And again if you look at my reply you see what fertilizer I use. I also dose all my tanks with the same fertilizers and have been for years now it was this oneotank that was acting up and I already posted why it was such dI'm lighting in my tank. But your continuing to tell me to fertilize when I've made it clear that I do. co2 booster from API states that it does two things: provides co2 as well as organic carbon compounds to aid plants in photosynthesis. It can be used alone or dose with a co2 system. Safe for fish and will not alter pH. Used with root tabs and leaf zone for full effect. If you use too much which I've seen you can end up with all kinds of algea. I'm using flourish tabs and flourish by seachem soon to be switching everything over and using advance. Please don't try and lecture or educate me on something ive read every other day for 7 years. And IMO the co2 kits are not required more or less they help get things filled in faster. I've had two very heavily planted setups for my 75 and 20s over the years and have never used one I've just used co2 booster
Ok there was no reply when I posted my suggestions. It's cool tho.

New Threads