Should I add another filter

Greenplant

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 50 Gal Tank and I'm OCD with keeping things clean. Don't know if it matters for my question but my PH is 7.6/7.7 working on bringing that down as I type this and my GH is very hard 16 it was higher so I'm working on that. My KH not so bad that's a 6. My fish are doing great even the 4 Discus I have since August are looking great.
I can't get my water to the next level which is Crystal Clear and I'm OCD with cleaning and water changes. 20% just once a week. I have an AC 110 which is kept clean. I was thinking about getting a AC70 and adding it to this tank. It sounds like overkill but I've heard better things about the AC70 then the AC50. My water isn't cloudy it's really nice but it just doesn't have that crystal Clear look that I really want. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Another filter wouldn't hurt, but larger water changes would definitely be better, especially in a discus tank. Are your discus juveniles or adults?

I'd increase your water changes to at least 50% weekly, preferable more often with discus.

OP
Greenplant

Greenplant

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The best I can tell there Adults. I was thinking about increasing the water changes but wasn't thinking 50% But it's worth a try. I hope I didn't mis lead you it's not a Discus tank I also have I have 5 Penquins 5 glowlight tetras 7 Black shirt Tetras 4 power Blue Gourami 3 siamese algae eaters and 7 cory's and 1 Pleco which I forget the name. has a red tip dosil fin and a red tip tail and is about 6 inches long.
Thanks appreciate your time.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Greenplant said:
The best I can tell there Adults. I was thinking about increasing the water changes but wasn't thinking 50% But it's worth a try. I hope I didn't mis lead you it's not a Discus tank I also have I have 5 Penquins 5 glowlight tetras 7 Black shirt Tetras 4 power Blue Gourami 3 siamese algae eaters and 7 cory's and 1 Pleco which I forget the name. has a red tip dosil fin and a red tip tail and is about 6 inches long.
Thanks appreciate your time.
Your tank is overstocked and your stocking is not compatible. If you want us to help with that, we can. It'll make your fish much happier and will help them live longer, healthier lives if you fix the stocking.

With that many fish, I would definitely do larger water changes.

Danjamesdixon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sounds like a 3 Beacon/Triactis Pleco

I agree with Texas, your tank is overstocked, and there are a lot of incompatibility issues - i'd be doing 30% changes at least twice a week with that level of stocking.

OP
Greenplant

Greenplant

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Texas and I'll take any suggestions you have my first concern is my fish.

Thanks Danjames that's him I love him to death.

I really want the help from you guys.

I'm going to move this to the Freshwater Fish section titled
I need fish help. I'll cut/Paste what I have and any help will be appreciated It's in the Aquarium Stocking Questions

Big Time Rookie Here

swomley

Reaction score
Definitely, get another one. I run a aquaclear 110 and a 50 on my 55 you can always change the flow. ALSO if you want crystal clear water buy a polishing pad like a fine filter pad and it will Really help use that instead of carbon!

New Threads