Should euthanize anorexic previously bloated betta

RLFrog

Attached are current pics of my betta.
He became constipated over a week ago. I was feeding him and my baby knocked extra food in there and at the same time he also ate the ghost shrimps molt, what he's done before but not with that much pellet food
His abdomen was very bloated, he had scant stringy poop. He had signs of swim bladder disease for a couple days that resolved.
I tried feeding him a small amount of a pea but he wouldn't touch it.
He hasn't eaten in a week now, and he's just seems so lifeless just hangs out in one area all day. Now I think I see a couple areas of his fin that are slightly lucent? Like two 1mm areas? I don't know if there's anything else I can do for him or if anyone feels like he's suffering and I should just euthanize him.
He doesn't seem to be pineconing? Below are details of his tank.
He's in a 5 gallon filtered tank, live plants. I check my parameters weekly or every other week. No ammonia, no nitrites, minimal nitrates. Temp kept between 74-78.
I feed him betta bio gold or aqueon pro betta formula. He lives with a ghost shrimp who's doing fine.
thanks in advance. I'm miserable. I like I failed him.

e_watson09

I don't see any reason to euthanize him. He doesn't look THAT bad. Now I do see a lot of ripped fins, unfortunately ghost shrimp can be really bad about that. I'd probably get rid of the ghost shrimp and give him an almond leaf and lots of small water only changes (daily ~10%) to encourage fin regrowth and I think he'll be perfectly fine

peachsonas

i know it feels like you’ve failed, but you haven’t. One thing about fishkeeping that I’ve learned is that even if you do everything right, things can go wrong. Bettas can be prone to some sicknesses, too. I don’t know if euthanasia is the right call at this moment. I do see a little bit of pineconing. I agree that maybe a little bit of Stressguard or Indian almond leaves in the tank will help, bettas love tannins. Can you try garlic or frozen food to get him to eat at all?

RLFrog

I don't see any reason to euthanize him. He doesn't look THAT bad. Now I do see a lot of ripped fins, unfortunately ghost shrimp can be really bad about that. I'd probably get rid of the ghost shrimp and give him an almond leaf and lots of small water only changes (daily ~10%) to encourage fin regrowth and I think he'll be perfectly fine
Thanks. I'll get an almond leaf today to try. I dont want to give up on him, I just don't want him to suffer and drag out some prolonged death. Thank you.
i know it feels like you’ve failed, but you haven’t. One thing about fishkeeping that I’ve learned is that even if you do everything right, things can go wrong. Bettas can be prone to some sicknesses, too. I don’t know if euthanasia is the right call at this moment. I do see a little bit of pineconing. I agree that maybe a little bit of Stressguard or Indian almond leaves in the tank will help, bettas love tannins. Can you try garlic or frozen food to get him to eat at all?
Thank you for your reply. I haven't tried any garlic yet. I have some blood worms but he never really liked those in the first place And I was worried those are contraindicated if he's constipated. I kind of agree with you, I've been like staring at him for days, and this morning was the first day I was worried his scales were poking out just ever so slightly.

peachsonas

You could also try a little bit of freeze dried OR frozen daphnia for the bloating, those have laxative like properties. At this point, if he’s not eating regularly I wouldn’t fast him until he starts eating a little better.

RLFrog

Attached are current pics of my betta.
He became constipated over a week ago. I was feeding him and my baby knocked extra food in there and at the same time he also ate the ghost shrimps molt, what he's done before but not with that much pellet food
His abdomen was very bloated, he had scant stringy poop. He had signs of swim bladder disease for a couple days that resolved.
I tried feeding him a small amount of a pea but he wouldn't touch it.
He hasn't eaten in a week now, and he's just seems so lifeless just hangs out in one area all day. Now I think I see a couple areas of his fin that are slightly lucent? Like two 1mm areas? I don't know if there's anything else I can do for him or if anyone feels like he's suffering and I should just euthanize him.
He doesn't seem to be pineconing? Below are details of his tank.
He's in a 5 gallon filtered tank, live plants. I check my parameters weekly or every other week. No ammonia, no nitrites, minimal nitrates. Temp kept between 74-78.
I feed him betta bio gold or aqueon pro betta formula. He lives with a ghost shrimp who's doing fine.
thanks in advance. I'm miserable. I like I failed him.
Thanks to those who replied. He died just now. ❤️

StarGirl

Aw thats too bad. So sorry. :(

Rose of Sharon

So sorry for your loss!!!! :(

SIP, beautiful boy!

peachsonas

So sorry for your loss :(

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy