Should cat go to the vet?

BettaFishObsessed

My cat ate a new food that she hasnt had before this morning, “Purina Wellness Signature Select Slapjack Tuna with Shrimp Entreé in broth”. She threw up a lot twice this morning, had diarrhea, spent a short while staring at a wall, and she is spending a lot of time just laying in the hallway. She is responsive but doesn’t seem to like to be touched. She is also breathing very heavily and there are a few little snorting noises when she breathes. Am I overreacting or should she go to the ER vet? Should I call them and see what they think? Or does she just have an upset stomach and is breathing like that because she’s uncomfortable? Shes had tuna plenty before and not reacted like this, so would it be the shrimp or something? What do i do please

Demonskid

For me, if you ever ask your self the question "does my cat need a vet" it's probably best you take the cat to the vet just to be on the safe side.

Better safe than sorry, if you ask me.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Any difficulty breathing and diarrhea mean a vet visit IMO. Better to be safe than sorry. It may be the food so you can take some with you or it may be unrelated.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Diarrhea can be common when switching to a different food at first, but not all those other things.

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

For me, if you ever ask your self the question "does my cat need a vet" it's probably best you take the cat to the vet just to be on the safe side.

Better safe than sorry, if you ask me.
Any difficulty breathing and diarrhea mean a vet visit IMO. Better to be safe than sorry. It may be the food so you can take some with you or it may be unrelated.
Diarrhea can be common when switching to a different food at first, but not all those other things.

Ik that if i have to ask then i probably should but it would be a huge thing and quite a bit of money to take her to the ER vet since her normal vet is closed so if i didnt have to i wouldnt. Im not sure if its really difficulty breathing, shes just breathing very quickly and the noise may be she just is like that sometimes. Also i feel like its most likely related to the food since she was perfectly healthy and then that started right after she ate. Shes still just laying in the hallway. Shes not purring which also sort of worries me since she usually purrs when she feels sick

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

When I worked at a Pet store, I learned that food allergies in cats are absolutely commonplace. Like you said, she's had tuna before, but that doesn't necessarily mean she isn't allergic to shellfish (or any other ingredients that are in the food in lower quantities).

I'd take her to the vet, so they can confirm and treat. If it is an allergy, reactions can vary from dry skin all the way to organ failure. Better safe than sorry. Or, at least call the vet and ask.

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

When I worked at a Pet store, I learned that food allergies in cats are absolutely commonplace. Like you said, she's had tuna before, but that doesn't necessarily mean she isn't allergic to shellfish (or any other ingredients that are in the food in lower quantities).

I'd take her to the vet, so they can confirm and treat. If it is an allergy, reactions can vary from dry skin all the way to organ failure. Better safe than sorry. Or, at least call the vet and ask.

ill try and call a vet

Edit: So all the vets are closed so i havent called yet but ill try to find something, but she got up and went to the litter box and then came into my room, meowed at me a little, and jumped on my bed and is just laying there. Shes not sleeping and is still breathing heavily but shes not snorting now. She looks maybe a little bloated but not too much. I can tell shes still not feeling well by the way shes laying and walking and she looks very tired, but shes a lot better than she was staring at the wall earlier so thats good. Do y’all think shes okay or should i still call a vet? Im a lot less worried than i was earlier at least

Upvote 0

Fisch

Does she drink? Make sure that she does not get dehydrated. You repeatedly ask if you should go to the vet, and the answer is repeatedly yes. Mainly because you don't want to say 'I wish I would have'. Yes, emergency visits are costly, but we also have a responsibility towards our four leggers.

Upvote 0

Dechi

When she is through this episode, you should look into buying good quality food for her. Purina is like MacDonalds. One every 2-3 months, but not every day!

Also, maybe look into an insurance plan for her. It would give you piece of mind if she ever needs to go to the ER again.

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

Does she drink? Make sure that she does not get dehydrated. You repeatedly ask if you should go to the vet, and the answer is repeatedly yes. Mainly because you don't want to say 'I wish I would have'. Yes, emergency visits are costly, but we also have a responsibility towards our four leggers.
Ill make sure she doesn’t get dehydrated, thanks!

When she is through this episode, you should look into buying good quality food for her. Purina is like MacDonalds. One every 2-3 months, but not every day!

Also, maybe look into an insurance plan for her. It would give you piece of mind if she ever needs to go to the ER again.

i am looking into better food, so almost a year ago she had thyroid issues and refused to eat pretty much anything, and that junk-food type cat food was the only thing she would eat, so i didnt have much of a choice. Shes gotten better though so I am trying to slowly get her to eat healthier foods, but shes still only wanting to eat mostly that for now. Also that is a good idea, thanks! :.)

Upvote 0

jaysurf7

imo I would take her to the vet just to make sure that things are ok.could have been maybe what she ate sometimes some of those sauces or gravys don't agree with cats since they are oblique carnivores,I try to steer clear of foods with sauces and feed pate,now and then I might as a treat,Cats are very good at hiding that they don't feel well so when something is noticeable they probably don't feel well.Just keep a check on her and if you think she not acting ok,bring her in for a check up.

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

imo I would take her to the vet just to make sure that things are ok.could have been maybe what she ate sometimes some of those sauces or gravys don't agree with cats since they are oblique carnivores,I try to steer clear of foods with sauces and feed pate,now and then I might as a treat,Cats are very good at hiding that they don't feel well so when something is noticeable they probably don't feel well.Just keep a check on her and if you think she not acting ok,bring her in for a check up.

oh ok i didnt know that some gravies werent good for them! She seems better today so I think she’ll be okay, ill still call a vet and ask though

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sairving
  • sirdarksol
  • Cat
Replies
Views
Butterfly
  • Question
Replies