Should betta shed?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by ToxicE, Dec 13, 2012.

1. ToxicE

ToxicE New Member Member

Hello, I'm new to this forum and to betta-owning. My betta, Akihiko, seems to be shedding and I don't know why. He hasn't done this before, and I also noticed that he has a small hole in his fin near the bottom that wasn't there before. My mom got me a new tank with a filter, a small rock cave, and grow able-live water lillies that haven't started growing yet. I used to have him in a vase-shaped non-filtering tank that I changed 100% of the water weekly. Do you think the new tank could be the problem?

-ToxicE

2. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

is the tank cycled? and how big is this new tank. if it is not cycled i would suggest going out and buying an api master test kit at petco for around 25-30$ it is the most accurate test kit i know of and i love it once you have tested we will see the problem

3. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

I've never heard of a betta shedding, so I'll go ahead and say that something is wrong. Could you post a picture?

What size is the new tank? Bigger tanks and filters are generally good for bettas, so I doubt that's the problem. Are there any sharp decorations that he could be cutting himself on?

4. OP
    OP
    ToxicE

ToxicE New Member Member

The tank is about 3 or 4 gallons and the only think sharp I can think of would be his cave, but I don't think that's it because I felt it before putting it in the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    ToxicE

ToxicE New Member Member

sorry the picture quality might be bad, my Akihiko is a bit camera-shy, hand-shy, and new-things shy. He is not shedding as bad as he was, and you can't really see it except on the fins now. Also I usually don't have the light on and it's just on to get a better view for the pic.

fix picture.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2012
  6. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

He should not be shedding anything, i can't see much in the picture, can you give an exact description of what you are seeing? Also, how big is that tank and is it heated? The tank doesn't look anything above 3 gals, do you remember what brand it was or where you got it?

7. OP
    OP
    ToxicE

ToxicE New Member Member

What he is shedding is pale, and translucent. He is not shedding anymore/or as noticeable as he was earlier, and I can only see some on the tips of his fins. He has a small hole near the base of his tail-fin. The box says the tank it 2 gallons, it is not heated, but I don't have him near any places where it is cold, the room is heated and he seemed fine in his other tank for months in the same conditions(except that the tank was near a window and placed higher). The box says Aquarius and my mom got it over the Internet.

8. Atomsk

Atomsk Valued Member Member

I like your black rocks.

9. soltarianknight

He shed his slime coat, not generally a good thing. Bettas can take a lot of abuse. They need a steady temp of at least 78f constant. 80-84 is better. 2 gallons is really small for a betta and the tank provides little in the way of cover for him. In 2 gallons the water needs 2-3 100% waterchanges weekly at the minimum to keep the ammonia levels in check. The hole in his fin is caused by ammonia in the water.

10. Gordinian

I wish I could be of more help, but I'm not really seeing what's going on in the picture.

Not to go all betta-crazy on you, but I would never recommend anything smaller than a 3.5 gallon for bettas, and I would never keep mine in anything smaller than a 5 gallon. They also need heaters, as they like temps of 80F+

The tank you have should be fine for now, as long as you do plenty of water changes and make sure the temp is high enough, but consider getting an even bigger tank.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  11. OP
    OP
    ToxicE

ToxicE New Member Member

I had him in a smaller tank, I think I'm not sure how many gallons it was, and changed the water once a week, it also was not filtered. I will take your advice and move him to a warmer place, and change his water more, but can I ask why he is only showing signs of this now, and not before?

12. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

Hello:;hi2

Your profile states that you are not aware of the nitrogen cycle (select underlined words to know more). This is the most important thing to know of the aquarium hobby, otherwise your fish will not be as healthy nor long-lived as they could be.

That setup is a two gallon; I've encountered it before on amazon. Nano tanks like this can be difficult to cycle. Does it have a filter? As previously stated, the shedding of slime coat is representative of ammonia present in the water volume.

13. Gordinian

It's probably because it's a new tank and isn't cycled. Please click the link Tigress provided to read about how to do so. Your betta is probably reacting to the ammonia buildup in the tank.

14. OP
    OP
    ToxicE

ToxicE New Member Member

Yes it has a filter.

15. petlorilea

petlorilea Valued Member Member

Possibly the new digs were not rinsed as well as should have been, or maybe too much stress coat. If you suspect this is actually coming from Akihiko, put about 5 grains of aquarium salt in right away. In any case he may not appreciate the bubbler moving him about so much. Can you put some floss in that tubing to slow the flow a bit? Also, I would take at least half of those stones out to maximize his swim space. When you decide to upgrade, you can use this one for a smaller female betta. Meanwhile, for a tank this small, it is crucial that you perform weekly 100% water changes. And finally: HE DOES NEED A HEATER. For that size tank, you can get a 10 watt for about $12.

16. OP
    OP
    ToxicE

ToxicE New Member Member

Gah, I gotta go, they will be turning off the wifi in a bit since its freshman's lights out, thanks for the help, and I will heed your advice, hopefully Akihiko will get better.

17. soltarianknight

Like i said, bettas can take a lot of abuse. And it is considered abuse imo, not necessarily intentional, but still. He is showing signs now because there was a change in the pattern. The move to the new tank, it off set his balance and his system crashed. Regardless, he would have shown problems in the other set up and wasted away. It happens all the time with bettas kept in vases and small containers, they seem fine and then suddenly they arn't.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice