Should add more to the school? Or go a different direction?

MissCap

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for ya’lls help today. I have a 55 gallon freshwater. This is my current stock:

1 BN pleco
5 panda cory
1 ghost shrimp
3 nerite snail
3 harlequin rasbora
1 angelfish
3 platy
3 molly
5 black skirt tetra
1 khulI loach (alone for 2 years because all the others kept dying)

Now, my rasboras and cory did have a bigger school, but they have died. I lost electricity for 6 days last October when it was in the 30s. I lost several in the weeks following.

My LFS does not get in either often so I may not restock their numbers. They seem happy enough right now. My other angelfish died last week for no apparent reason. Ate the night before and swimming fine. Then stuck to the filter alive the next morning.

My water parameters are good. 0/0/20

Soooo. Any ideas if I can add any more, or what direction I should go if I have a few of the schools die out in the future. I’ve had the rasboras almost 3 years and the cory 1 (they never come out so I rarely see them). Thanks!

AZL

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd say up the shoals, if there's space look at fish that like most of your others like harder water. I'm guessing the other loaches struggled as they prefer softer water.

OP
MissCap

MissCap

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AZL said:
I'd say up the shoals, if there's space look at fish that like most of your others like harder water. I'm guessing the other loaches struggled as they prefer softer water.
That does make sense about the loaches because I have a little harder water. My one black loach only comes out when I change the water. He goes crazy and I know he is still alive!

My LFS does not gave many schooling fish besides neons.

redtetra

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would add to the skirt tetra school. I have a school of 18 in a species only 29 gallon and they're just mesmerizing to watch. They are extremely hardy. mine have been moved many times and over 5 years i've lost one. You could easily get away with adding more corys also. I have 6 cories and theyre very neat to watch, also had very good luck with cories only losing 1 over the years.

my water is also very hard (liquid rock) from the tap. I do not fight the hardness, I just make sure things are stable and I seem to have good luck.

I use elder cones and almond leaves in all my tanks. I also use driftwood.

OP
MissCap

MissCap

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
redtetra said:
I would add to the skirt tetra school. I have a school of 18 in a species only 29 gallon and they're just mesmerizing to watch. They are extremely hardy. mine have been moved many times and over 5 years i've lost one. You could easily get away with adding more corys also. I have 6 cories and theyre very neat to watch, also had very good luck with cories only losing 1 over the years.

my water is also very hard (liquid rock) from the tap. I do not fight the hardness, I just make sure things are stable and I seem to have good luck.

I use elder cones and almond leaves in all my tanks. I also use driftwood.
Thanks! I do like my black skirt tetras. I used to have 6 but lost one last year. I bave one piece of driftwood.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not a fan of having 1-3 of 10 different things (and its not good for fish that prefer schools). I'm also not a fan of mixing fish from different areas that want different temps.

If you were to give me that tank tomorrow, here's what Id do:

Keep the Bristlenose. Maybe add 1 or 2 more even.
Keep the 5 Pandas and add another 10-15.
Id get rid of the snails (just because I hate them)
Get rid of the Harlequins (they don't really go with what I'm doing and they want warmer water)
Keep the Angelfish
Get rid of the Platys
Get rid of the Mollys
Keep the Black Skirts and add another 10
Get rid of the KuhlI (he wants to be in a bigger school and warmer water)

Youd have a decent Amazon tank with fish that could all be kept happily at 78. Id add a big piece of driftwood, a bunch of leaf litter, maybe a couple big Amazon Swords and some floating plants.

OP
MissCap

MissCap

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DuaneV said:
I'm not a fan of having 1-3 of 10 different things (and its not good for fish that prefer schools). I'm also not a fan of mixing fish from different areas that want different temps.

If you were to give me that tank tomorrow, here's what Id do:

Keep the Bristlenose. Maybe add 1 or 2 more even.
Keep the 5 Pandas and add another 10-15.
Id get rid of the snails (just because I hate them)
Get rid of the Harlequins (they don't really go with what I'm doing and they want warmer water)
Keep the Angelfish
Get rid of the Platys
Get rid of the Mollys
Keep the Black Skirts and add another 10
Get rid of the KuhlI (he wants to be in a bigger school and warmer water)

Youd have a decent Amazon tank with fish that could all be kept happily at 78. Id add a big piece of driftwood, a bunch of leaf litter, maybe a couple big Amazon Swords and some floating plants.
Thanks for the advice!! I love my nerite snails because they keep the tank glass super super clean. I love my BN pleco and I’ve had him since he was an inch long and now he is 5 inches!! I LOVE platy, but could let the molly go once they die. I’ve always wanted to add another BN pleco, but I’m scared it wouldn’t work out. He is my favorite fish I have.

ETA: For some reason I love to have a lot of different fish. I get bored with only a couple types in the tank. I would love to get another angel and get more platy!!

So maybe:

1 BN pleco
3 harlequins (I used to have 12, but dwindled through the years. Won’t restock)
7 black skirt
7 platy
3 molly (won’t restock once passed)
1 loach (won’t restock)
2 angelfish
4 nerite snail

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
See, Id rather see big schools of the same fish interacting with each other rather than a couple of this and that swimming around. And most fish do much better in larger schools, there's less stress, etc.

Rev

Well Known
Reaction score
MissCap said:
ETA: For some reason I love to have a lot of different fish. I get bored with only a couple types in the tank. I would love to get another angel and get more platy!!
Sounds like someone needs more tanks!

OP
MissCap

MissCap

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DuaneV said:
See, Id rather see big schools of the same fish interacting with each other rather than a couple of this and that swimming around. And most fish do much better in larger schools, there's less stress, etc.
You do have a valid point. I posted above my new thoughts. I can’t get rid of any of the fish I have now, but can move into the direction of upping some of my current fish.

OP
MissCap

MissCap

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rev said:
Sounds like someone needs more tanks!
Hahaha yessss. I did have a 10 gallon with a betta, but he passed last fall. My son is adamant he wants a crab tank, but I am trying to put it off. My husband doesn’t want any more tanks, plus we don’t have the room unfortunately.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What you need to be careful with is temps. Your Pandas require cool water (74ish) and your Harlequins & Kuhlis want really warm water (82ish). When you keep fish on the extreme ends of their temp ranges it either speeds up their metabolism and kills them quicker OR it weakens their immune system, causes diseases, etc.

Also, adding an Angel can be tricky. They ARE Cichlids and can be aggressive. I'm wondering if that's why you lost so many Harlequins (I probably wouldnt do Harlequins with Angels). If you add another you could have some serious fighting.

OP
MissCap

MissCap

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DuaneV said:
What you need to be careful with is temps. Your Pandas require cool water (74ish) and your Harlequins & Kuhlis want really warm water (82ish). When you keep fish on the extreme ends of their temp ranges it either speeds up their metabolism and kills them quicker OR it weakens their immune system, causes diseases, etc.

Also, adding an Angel can be tricky. They ARE Cichlids and can be aggressive. I'm wondering if that's why you lost so many Harlequins (I probably wouldnt do Harlequins with Angels). If you add another you could have some serious fighting.
I added the angels after I had lost several harlequins. They got old as they were the first fish I added years ago. My angels were nickel size when I added them, but now about 2.5” tall. They never bother them. If I did add another angel, it would be the same size as my current.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its still risky. Most Angels get quite large and like I said, theyre a Cichlid and do show aggression. Tons of posts on this forum with people keeping Angels and having lots of problems with them fighting and killing tank mates and they don't understand why.

OP
MissCap

MissCap

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DuaneV said:
Its still risky. Most Angels get quite large and like I said, theyre a Cichlid and do show aggression. Tons of posts on this forum with people keeping Angels and having lots of problems with them fighting and killing tank mates and they don't understand why.
Oh ok. That could be the reason for my unexplained deaths then. They seem pretty calm, but what happens when the lights are off I don’t know. I may just keep the one then if it will be ok by itself. My black skirt tetras and mollies were brutal when I added my 4 platy. One ended up dying within a day because they constantly picked at it. My angels didn’t even care (at least to my knowledge).

ojdgtjc

Reaction score
ive had 3 harlquins in a 5 gallon b4 (ik not the best) but they lived for a year until I had to give them away. if you want to up the shoals you can, but it is not required. if I were you, I would get a couple bolivian rams

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MissCap said:
My angels didn’t even care (at least to my knowledge).
AngelS?
If you are worried about fighting (which I think is a valid concern) i'd rather see a lone angel than a beat up one. They are schooling fish, but when I keep just one in a tank, I give it lots of attention and interaction.

Imo, two or even four angels could live in a 55g, but it would have to be an angel tank with limited tankmates. So I don't think it would be a good idea to get another angel.

I'm in agreement with less types and bigger schools. I also like to stock fish according to water parameter and temperature requirements.

So i'd keep the SA fish, and rehome the others like livebearers and loaches.

OP
MissCap

MissCap

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
UPDATE:

I had my tank off for a little while trying to figure out why my filter stopped working (got it fixed). I saw a striped khulI loach!!!!! I have not seen a striped in my tank for over a year. I only thought I had one black one left.

I cannot bear to rehome any as I am attached, but will be upping some of my numbers as time permits.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll be honest...when I have a fish die unexpectedly...I don't think about getting new fish. I'm more concerned about why the fish died. Incase its contagious.

I understand the concept of getting bored without variety. But it's a selfish decision on the fish keepers part to choose variety over large schools/shoals. In my humble opinion.

I would never keep a schooling fish even as low as 6 personally. Even though that's the acceptable minimum.

I'm glad to hear that upping the numbers is on your agenda!

New Threads