Shorting hood?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Red1313, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Since the move I've been having trouble with one of the hoods on my 5 gallon tanks. I turn the light on and it works for a 2nd then it starts to pop and snap (I then turn it off) I have live plants in the tank and I need to get this fixed soon they're starting to look a little stressed... Any idea's what could be wrong or what I can do to fix it?

2. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

Try re-seating the bulb since it may be the easiest thing to try? Replace the bulb?

Popping and snapping isn't usually a good thing, especially around water. What type of fixture is it? Manufacturer? Model?

3. OP
    OP
    Red1313

It's a wal-mart 5 gallon kit :p
    I had to remove a rubber ring/seal from around the light socket to swap the tube shaped incandecent light our for a florecent bulb. However it's been like that for more then 6 months without issue...

4. outlaw

I would still try to re-seat the bulb at minimum, maybe it wiggled a little during the move and the popping/snapping noise you hear is the spark inside the socket from a loose contact.

Depending on how long you've had it, you could try taking it back? Tell them they will wish they swapped it out when your house starts on fire because they didn't think it was necessary? This may be a little extreme though :D

5. OP
    OP
    Red1313

lol
    I took the bulb out and dried everything but now when I put it in there's nothing... hope the bulb is dead :p
    maybe a good excuse to go DIY on it though lol

6. outlaw

Hope so too. Is it the standard socket type that screw in? You should be able to just screw in a light bulb for trial. If it's over the rated wattage I definitely wouldn't leave in or on though.

7. OP
    OP
    Red1313

Well tried with an incandecent bulb and it looks like the hood has died completely on me :(
    I'll have to throw something togeather quick to get me through the rest of the week and the weekend now... DIY here I come.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice