Shop never informed me about cycle

Rebeccaxo

Hi there I recently got a 150L fish tank for tropical fish the shop which I won’t name lol told me 48hrs!! Anyway after some research and lord of money later and time trying to help my fish I’ve realised in doing s fish in cycle which is not recommended but the shop won’t take the fish back lol!!! Shambles anyway over the last few days I have done 2 50% water changes and 1 80% I used sachem stability for 7 days to try and assist the filter and now this is my readings haven’t been using it for 3 days is there anything else I can be doing I have 6 sword tails and 2 Cory fish I’ve been cleaning tank daily as in tsken away poo from my sand And feeding only small amounts Just need some advice and experience really I’ve added some pics of my API tests today and the tank I’ve no live plants as I’m very new to this and have bought a air stone etc after reading the benfits any advice about tank or changes you think will help is welcome thanks so much

Attachments

• 4ACEF968-E799-4BF7-B2F0-F2AAB5B2DBEE.jpeg
    4ACEF968-E799-4BF7-B2F0-F2AAB5B2DBEE.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 1EE04328-E533-419D-BC5F-720CDF2B309C.jpeg
    1EE04328-E533-419D-BC5F-720CDF2B309C.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 5299BB2D-2537-4301-A087-8B6CD301A019.jpeg
    5299BB2D-2537-4301-A087-8B6CD301A019.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 73

WRWAquarium

Hi

Unfortunately many stores don't give out the advice needed.

You are doing the right thing with the fish in cycle with water changes. The test looks like a little ammonia and nitrite but also nitrate. On the the way to being cycled.

I would look to do another water change ASAP to get the ammonia and nitrite to 0 and test daily, water change if needed.

Assume you have a filter going?

mattgirl

Welcome to Fishlore :)

Let your numbers be your guide as to water changes. Right now both ammonia and nitrites are in a fairly safe zone. The bio-load in this size tank is fairly low so I don't expect to see high spike of either. If either or both start going up from where they are right now get them back down with a water change. don't let the total amount of ammonia plus nitrites get up to one.

Rebeccaxo

Welcome to Fishlore :)

Let your numbers be your guide as to water changes. Right now both ammonia and nitrites are in a fairly safe zone. The bio-load in this size tank is fairly low so I don't expect to see high spike of either. If either or both start going up from where they are right now get them back down with a water change. don't let the total amount of ammonia plus nitrites get up to one.
Thank you they have by the pictures been about 0.25 both I’ve done an 80% and 2 50% Bevsuse I worrying that they where showing but I’m inexperienced as stated lol! I’ll keep monitoring so can I leave the water change tonight recheck tomorrow and hopefully it, if it’s near 1 do 50? Thanks so much
Hi

Unfortunately many stores don't give out the advice needed.

You are doing the right thing with the fish in cycle with water changes. The test looks like a little ammonia and nitrite but also nitrate. On the the way to being cycled.

I would look to do another water change ASAP to get the ammonia and nitrite to 0 and test daily, water change if needed.

Assume you have a filter going?
Hi I’ve done a 50% today and 80 and 50% yesterday, I was going to recheck tomorrow but I have been trying to keep the poo away by using a sygrine to remove it from sand and expose
Of it yes I have have attached a better picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 23

WRWAquarium

Sounds like you are doing just fine and you have the cycle guru mattgirl to guide you! Filter looks good BTW :)

PAcanis

Cool looking tank :)

Rebeccaxo

Sounds like you are doing just fine and you have the cycle guru mattgirl to guide you! Filter looks good BTW :)
Thank you so much! I’m so happy about this people
Who know and can guide me been so stressed they die I’ll check tomorrow and Hoeofully if it’s below 1 I’ll leave it and check daily x
Cool looking tank :)
Thank you! I’m trying

JLAquatics

Welcome to Fishlore! You are in great hands here on Fishlore with your aquarium cycle dilemma. My simple advice to you is to not stress yourself out, do your water changes and test daily in your tank. Once your Ammonia and Nitrites are zero and you have some Nitrate accumulation in your water, your tank is completely cycled. I recommend you add only a few fish at a time once your tank is cycled to allow the aquarium to adjust more effectively without drastic parameter shifts and if you are a beginner with keeping fish. Additonally, having fewer fish in a setup may be beneficial until you stick to a weekly water change and maintenance routine even after your aquarium is cycled. Patience is key and trying to cut corners with anything in the aquarium hobby will not end well.

In the meantime, feel free to ask any more questions you may have and most importantly, enjoy your stay on the most friendly and informative fish forum out there. ;)

mattgirl

One other thing I will recommend you get if at all possible is a bottle of Seachem Prime. It is first and foremost a water conditioner but goes one step farther and detoxes low levels of ammonia. The ammonia will still show up in the test tube but it will be in a safer form.

So far you are doing great. By just adding a few fish in this size tank you shouldn't experience any drastic spikes. Over time you will start seeing nitrites along with the ammonia and eventually will start seeing both ammonia and nitrites going down and nitrates going up. Once you no longer see ammonia or nitrites and only see nitrates your cycle will be done. At that point you can start very slowly adding more fish.

Rebeccaxo

Welcome to Fishlore! You are in great hands here on Fishlore with your aquarium cycle dilemma. My simple advice to you is to not stress yourself out, do your water changes and test daily in your tank. Once your Ammonia and Nitrites are zero and you have some Nitrate accumulation in your water, your tank is completely cycled. I recommend you add only a few fish at a time once your tank is cycled to allow the aquarium to adjust more effectively without drastic parameter shifts and if you are a beginner with keeping fish. Additonally, having fewer fish in a setup may be beneficial until you stick to a weekly water change and maintenance routine even after your aquarium is cycled. Patience is key and trying to cut corners with anything in the aquarium hobby will not end well.

In the meantime, feel free to ask any more questions you may have and most importantly, enjoy your stay on the most friendly and informative fish forum out there. ;)
Thank you so much honestly I feel so much better with just having experience people who care to help I’m a nurse to nurture is my number 1 snd the thought of then suffering in thag tank had me up to 4am doing a water change for that 0.25 ammonia and 0.25 nitrites after reading loads online I’ll keep watching as the ladies above have advised too and is ther add up to 1 then I’ll change the water 50% and try and test again Hoeofully it all works out see for now if they levels stay at 0.25 should I just continue daily testing and weekly 50% water changes? I’m just so new and unsure
One other thing I will recommend you get if at all possible is a bottle of Seachem Prime. It is first and foremost a water conditioner but goes one step farther and detoxes low levels of ammonia. The ammonia will still show up in the test tube but it will be in a safer form.

So far you are doing great. By just adding a few fish in this size tank you shouldn't experience any drastic spikes. Over time you will start seeing nitrites along with the ammonia and eventually will start seeing both ammonia and nitrites going down and nitrates going up. Once you no longer see ammonia or nitrites and only see nitrates your cycle will be done. At that point you can start very slowly adding more fish.
Thanks so so much! You have been so helpful I have stability and have ordered prime awaiting delivery 3/5 days so Hoeofully it will come sooner lol, I have about 0.25 of both at present in tank but I done 50% again today and didn’t change much at present but I’ll ensure if any of them add up to 1 together or separate I’ll add the prime and water change.. how
Long does a typical cycle go? I’m a ok the right track with now seeing a little tiny bit of nitrate? Or I’m I getting it all wrong I finished my stability corse 3 days ago it states u can add it every time u cjnage water but if I’m doing that daily is that not a little to much Thanks sorry for all the questions

mattgirl

Thank you so much honestly I feel so much better with just having experience people who care to help I’m a nurse to nurture is my number 1 snd the thought of then suffering in thag tank had me up to 4am doing a water change for that 0.25 ammonia and 0.25 nitrites after reading loads online I’ll keep watching as the ladies above have advised too and is ther add up to 1 then I’ll change the water 50% and try and test again Hoeofully it all works out see for now if they levels stay at 0.25 should I just continue daily testing and weekly 50% water changes? I’m just so new and unsure
Once the cycle is complete you can go to your weekly water changes but for now we will let the numbers tell us when to do a water change.
Thanks so so much! You have been so helpful I have stability and have ordered prime awaiting delivery 3/5 days so Hoeofully it will come sooner lol, I have about 0.25 of both at present in tank but I done 50% again today and didn’t change much at present but I’ll ensure if any of them add up to 1 together or separate I’ll add the prime and water change.
It is great that you were able to order the Prime. Be prepared for a not so pleasant odor. If at all possible use a syringe to dose the Prime. You want to make sure you don't get any of it on the outside of the bottle of the odor will linger. That is difficult if you use the lid to measure it.

It is very concentrated so a little goes a long way. It only takes one ml of it for each 10 gallons. As long as you are getting an ammonia and/or nitrite reading in the tank add enough for the full amount of water in the tank. Not just for the amount of water you are replacing. Once the tank is cycled and if you continue using it just add enough for the amount of water you are replacing unless you are using a python type system to refill the tank. In that case add enough to treat the full tank before refilling.
How Long does a typical cycle go? I’m a ok the right track with now seeing a little tiny bit of nitrate? Or I’m I getting it all wrong I finished my stability corse 3 days ago it states u can add it every time u cjnage water but if I’m doing that daily is that not a little to much Thanks sorry for all the questions
It is difficult to give a time line. If all goes well a tank will normally cycle within 6 weeks or so. You are not going to over dose bottle bacteria but it probably isn't needed past the first 7 days. There is no need at all to continue adding Stability once a tank is cycled. Unfortunately those instructions just keep you buying the product.

Rebeccaxo

Thank you so much for all your advice so for now continue doing water changes if ammonia and nitrite are above 1 added together? Should I be doing my weekly changes even if it’s ok to keep on track as someone told me not to as it’s cycling but I don’t think this is right info thanks so much for replying x
Sorry just seen your reply above thanks so much I’ll just keep testing daily snd if I’m worried I can post for some advice! I hope it all works out I’m loving my wee fish there beautiful just want them to have a nice cozy wee life lol! In relation to feeding is it true a small small few flakes a day and pellets for the cory I’m worried the fish eat the pellets also! They are so greedy haha I’m gonna start feeding the pellets at night when the fish are in darkness too help the Cory be able to get them Hoeofully it works I feel there not getting much wee souls x

PAcanis

You want to make sure you don't get any of it on the outside of the bottle of the odor will linger. That is difficult if you use the lid to measure it.

Something I do with all my bottles of dosing products when using the cap to measure is, after pouring the contents into the tank I dunk the cap itself and rinse it out. Then shake it dry and put it back on the bottle. No fuss no muss.

But using a syringe is a good idea with Prime's 1 cap treats 50 gal. It will help you measure out a small dosage more accurately. That's why I prefer Aquatic Experts Tank First water conditioner. One cap treats 10 gal is much easier to work with on small tanks. I still have both on hand though :)

mattgirl

Thank you so much for all your advice so for now continue doing water changes if ammonia and nitrite are above 1 added together? Should I be doing my weekly changes even if it’s ok to keep on track as someone told me not to as it’s cycling but I don’t think this is right info thanks so much for replying x
Sorry just seen your reply above thanks so much I’ll just keep testing daily snd if I’m worried I can post for some advice! I hope it all works out I’m loving my wee fish there beautiful just want them to have a nice cozy wee life lol! In relation to feeding is it true a small small few flakes a day and pellets for the cory I’m worried the fish eat the pellets also! They are so greedy haha I’m gonna start feeding the pellets at night when the fish are in darkness too help the Cory be able to get them Hoeofully it works I feel there not getting much wee souls x
You are going to do great. The best thing you could have done for your fish is come to us. Unfortunately fish stores have been known to give bad advice or or as in your case no advice at all. Please keep us updated and ask any question you may have. We will help you get this tank cycled and protect your fish while it is happening.

Feeding your corys after lights off is a good idea. Keep in mind, corys are not algae eaters. They need a meatier diet. My little guys love their shrimp pellets and they also get Hikari Mini sinking wafers for bottom feeders. I also give them Onega One Veggie Rounds at least once a week. The first ingredients in the ingredient list are salmon and whole herring so along with some veggies they are still getting some protein.

I call my corys my little vacuum cleaners. I often feed my other fish more than they can eat because anything that makes it to the bottom of the tank will quickly be cleaned up by the corys. Keep in mind though, I have at least 25 corys in my 55 gallon tank. They move too fast to get an accurate head count. That many can eat quite a bit of food.

Eventually you are going to want to add a few more corys. I would add at least 3 more to the 2 you already have. I would also add more cover for them. They are more comfortable when they know they have a safe place to hide under if startled. Bushy plants, either real, silk or plastic will work well.

Lots of folks recommend adding live plants right away but only if you are ready. In my humble opinion taking care of plants can be almost as stressful as caring for fish. Some of the easier plants include something like java fern. You don't actually plant it. You tie or glue it to something in the tank. I've read that live plants will help with the cycling process. I have to think that is true but only if they stay health and grow quickly. Melting plants produce ammonia. We don't want that.

The most difficult thing I have found about live plants is finding those that will thrive in my water. Hormwort grows like a weed in my shrimp bowl but soon grows long and spindly in any of my other tanks. Floating frogbit does fantastic in my 5.5 gallon tank but when I thin it out and put it in my 55 gallon it soon fades away. Java Ferns do well in all my tanks.

MasterPython

If you have a local friend with a tank borrowing some bacteria from them will speed up the process. A handfull of gravel, porous rock, chunk of wood or some filter media from an established tank will help things greatly.

SnailsgoldiesbettaGirl

Horns wort (I hope I spelt that right) is the best!!! I've use it in each new tank for the good bacteria! Then I did some research and was glad I did because i found I didn't do it wrong! It is loaded with the good bacteria. lol.. Truth betold sometimes I will do something and then research it instead of vice versa. (I'm working on that!
It's really sad that the local Petco and petsmart do this. I always try to go to the local Aquarium stores like the ma and paw Because they actually know what's going on and they're not gonna have you buy a whole bunch of stuff just to put money in their pocket. In my experience they they will never stir you wrong.

Rebeccaxo

Today’s levels Juat done does this indicate a little change? Looks like the nitrate is gettint a bit higher also is it this I’ve read it is
You are going to do great. The best thing you could have done for your fish is come to us. Unfortunately fish stores have been known to give bad advice or or as in your case no advice at all. Please keep us updated and ask any question you may have. We will help you get this tank cycled and protect your fish while it is happening.

Feeding your corys after lights off is a good idea. Keep in mind, corys are not algae eaters. They need a meatier diet. My little guys love their shrimp pellets and they also get Hikari Mini sinking wafers for bottom feeders. I also give them Onega One Veggie Rounds at least once a week. The first ingredients in the ingredient list are salmon and whole herring so along with some veggies they are still getting some protein.

I call my corys my little vacuum cleaners. I often feed my other fish more than they can eat because anything that makes it to the bottom of the tank will quickly be cleaned up by the corys. Keep in mind though, I have at least 25 corys in my 55 gallon tank. They move too fast to get an accurate head count. That many can eat quite a bit of food.

Eventually you are going to want to add a few more corys. I would add at least 3 more to the 2 you already have. I would also add more cover for them. They are more comfortable when they know they have a safe place to hide under if startled. Bushy plants, either real, silk or plastic will work well.

Lots of folks recommend adding live plants right away but only if you are ready. In my humble opinion taking care of plants can be almost as stressful as caring for fish. Some of the easier plants include something like java fern. You don't actually plant it. You tie or glue it to something in the tank. I've read that live plants will help with the cycling process. I have to think that is true but only if they stay health and grow quickly. Melting plants produce ammonia. We don't want that.

The most difficult thing I have found about live plants is finding those that will thrive in my water. Hormwort grows like a weed in my shrimp bowl but soon grows long and spindly in any of my other tanks. Floating frogbit does fantastic in my 5.5 gallon tank but when I thin it out and put it in my 55 gallon it soon fades away. Java Ferns do well in all my tanks.
If you have a local friend with a tank borrowing some bacteria from them will speed up the process. A handfull of gravel, porous rock, chunk of wood or some filter media from an established tank will help things greatly.
I have a friend next door but I tested his water snd it is the same as mine although he has recently changed his filter! X
Horns wort (I hope I spelt that right) is the best!!! I've use it in each new tank for the good bacteria! Then I did some research and was glad I did because i found I didn't do it wrong! It is loaded with the good bacteria. lol.. Truth betold sometimes I will do something and then research it instead of vice versa. (I'm working on that!
It's really sad that the local Petco and petsmart do this. I always try to go to the local Aquarium stores like the ma and paw Because they actually know what's going on and they're not gonna have you buy a whole bunch of stuff just to put money in their pocket. In my experience they they will never stir you wrong.
Thank so much for your advice x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 16

SQW

Fast growing Aquarium plants may help absorb excess ammonia, so I recommend getting some, especially floating plants.

Rebeccaxo

T
Fast growing Aquarium plants may help absorb excess ammonia, so I recommend getting some, especially floating plants.
Thank you from the reading above do u think it requires a water change I’m struggling to judge it on the colour chArt

SQW

T

Thank you from the reading above do u think it requires a water change I’m struggling to judge it on the colour chArt
Definitely

Rebeccaxo

Thank
You would u say 50%?

Fish99

Rebeccaxo
I say don't over clean the filter (save the bacteria) and don't feed anything near what the can says!
Your test are looking great. Just change water to get the nitrate down when you can. Looks like it's at about 20ppm so no big deal (yet) (assuming it been running weeks not days)
How long has your tank been running?
It's only been 7 days? I think I misread that 48 hours?
If it's been only 7 days then the I bet the cycle hasn't even started and you probably have nitrate in your tap water.
Get old aquarium gunk from someone to help it cycle.
Don't change water unless the ammonia or nitrite gets too high.
Can you check the nitrate from your tap water and post up the results?
Again, how long has it been running exactly?
edit: your tests look like everything is perfect except nitrate and it's not all that bad.
I'm very curious and you should be too why on such a new tank it has nitrate.
Like I said, must be in the tap water. Test to be sure.

Rebeccaxo

I’ve just started changing my water there 50% as I was worried sick lol hve I done wrong x
Rebeccaxo
I say don't over clean the filter (save the bacteria) and don't feed anything near what the can says!
Your test are looking great. Just change water to get the nitrate down when you can. Looks like it's at about 20ppm so no big deal (yet) (assuming it been running weeks not days)
How long has your tank been running?
It's only been 7 days? I think I misread that 48 hours?
If it's been only 7 days then the I bet the cycle hasn't even started and you probably have nitrate in your tap water.
Get old aquarium gunk from someone to help it cycle.
Don't change water unless the ammonia or nitrite gets too high.
Can you check the nitrate from your tap water and post up the results?
Again, how long has it been running exactly?
edit: your tests look like everything is perfect except nitrate and it's not all that bad.
I'm very curious and you should be too why on such a new tank it has nitrate.
Like I said, must be in the tap water. Test to be sure.
Set it up on the 2nd of October had fish since the 4th x

mattgirl

I’ve just started changing my water there 50% as I was worried sick lol hve I done wrong x
Your tests look good to me. Only you can tell for sure but I am not seeing any ammonia or nitrites. Please don't get overly concerned about the nitrates. As long as you are seeing no ammonia or nitrites your fish are safe. The nitrates have to get up very high before they cause problems. As long as you are seeing orange in the tube at the 5 minute mark they are fine.

BTW: there is no need to run both pH tests. We normally only run the high pH when the normal pH pegs out the chart. You can actually hold off on running that test so often. Your number seems to be fairly stable.

Rebeccaxo

I’ve done a 50% change I thought I could see nitrites x

mattgirl

I’ve done a 50% change I thought I could see nitrites x
There may be some but if so they look to be low. Wait until you see a tiny bit of ammonia and/or nitrites before you do your next water change. .25 of each isn't going to hurt your fish. We don't want to let it go any higher than that.

If neither go that high in a week go ahead and do your 50% water change then.

Rebeccaxo

Ok thank you I’ve done the 50% today just because I’m paranoid it was 0.50 but I’ve completed it it’s done now a hope there ok as I’ve done it again the water changes and cleaned all the poop x

mattgirl

To cycle a tank some ammonia has to be in there. As long as it is kept down to .25 the fish will be alright and the bacteria will have food. Without food the bacteria will not grow. With so few fish in this tank you shouldn't experience any high spikes.

Have you run all the tests on your tap water? If not, please do so. It helps to know the parameters of the water we are adding to the tank. If you have nitrates in your tap water we will know what you are seeing in the tank is coming from there and not the cycling process.

Rebeccaxo

Thanks so much sorry I was just so worried they had spiked as it looked a little purple and I asked and someone said definitely to change it x

Fish99

Thanks so much sorry I was just so worried they had spiked as it looked a little purple and I asked and someone said definitely to change it x
looks blue to me, zero.
test the tap for nitrates please. they shouldn't be there on a new tank like yours

Rebeccaxo

Ok no worries I started the tank the 2nd of October snd added fish the 4th just so you know I’m not going to use all tests on my tap water I’m in Scotland so a think we have very good water here but maybe not for fish x

mattgirl

With everyone wanting to help you are going to get differing recommendations. Since that is going to happen it might be best not to immediately do what is recommended. I think someone was concerned about your nitrates and recommended a water change to get them down. In my humble opinion your nitrate level isn't a problem so no need to get them down.
just so you know I’m not going to use all tests on my tap water
I hope this is just a language difference or a mis-type and you aren't saying you aren't going to test your tap water. It is unusual to see nitrates in a tank this early in the cycling process. It leaves us thinking you may have them in your tap water. We can't know for sure until the nitrate test is run on the tap water.

Rebeccaxo

This is my tap water tests for all
Aw sorry it’s this bloody phone no I’ve done a tap water test and copied it above x
Yes I agree I was just worried as I have no clue tbh and totally winging this after learning about to all! But I’m gonna do what you said and wait and be patient wait for reply’s and then decide x
Hopefully you can see pictures above of tap water Test I’ve carried out there little more zoomed in but it’s not orange like the tank water for nitrates x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 9

Fish99

Interesting. No need to test tap anymore.
Maybe your nitrates came from the fish store, in the bags of fish?
Anyway, that's odd but I agree, the nitrates are not high enough to worry about and all else is like new water.
I suggest getting a Seachem hang in the tank ammonia alert. Much easier to see (no testing) and they seem to be accurate. Don't worry at all until it starts to rise in a few weeks if you don't "seed" the tank.
Ammonia Alert - Seachem

Rebeccaxo

Yeah coukd be when would
You worried about nitrates? Is it also a good sign to see them.. yeah it’s weird how they are there as I’ve been reading snd a lot of folk say it takes a while for them to show up x

mattgirl

This is telling us this tank is producing some nitrates. Unusual but not unheard of. For now the only tests you need to be running are the ammonia and nitrite. Your nitrates aren't going to go high enough between water changes to be an issue and your pH is stable so no need to run those 2 test so often. Once a week is sufficient.

With so few fish in this size tank I don't expect to see any drastic spikes. You can run the 2 tests daily but really every other day should be often enough.

Rebeccaxo

Thank you so
Much, I’ll check in I’ll test in a few days and hopefully,
See how things are yeah it’s strange but I suppose it means things are moving along a little, ill
But change water again at present then untill
They both add to 1? Nitrite and ammonia and that’s all
I’ll test the fish seem
Happy at present which is good, how often would u change the water the now weekly monthly every 2 weeks everyone is different lol x

Attachments

• 77F9BD6D-A01D-4B84-AEB3-C26F45CEDB33.jpeg
    77F9BD6D-A01D-4B84-AEB3-C26F45CEDB33.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 11

mattgirl

To begin with we let our numbers be our guide and change as needed to keep ammonia and nitrites down to safer levels. Once the tank has completed its cycle I always recommend changing half the water each week. I really think fresh clean water is the very best thing we can give our fish to keep them healthy. In my humble opinion we can't do water changes too often.

Over time i am sure you are going to want to add more fish to this tank. Getting into the routine of weekly 50% water changes will keep ahead of the nitrates and will keep the water fresh and clean.

Keep in mind. I said keep the water fresh and clean. The filter on our tank is the one thing in our homes we don't want to keep spotlessly clean. Bacteria is growing on everything in our tanks but the strongest colony of it is going to be in our filter so we don't want to over clean it. We also don't want to over clean any of the surfaces inside the tank. If our decor needs to be cleaned just clean a piece or two at a time. Never all of it or we will be removing too much bacteria.

Rebeccaxo

Thank you so much yes I’d like to get more community fish and more Cory but not sure what other fish to get with swordtails as yet lol any advice would be nice when the time comes Hoeofully the on the right track x

mattgirl

Thank you so much yes I’d like to get more community fish and more Cory but not sure what other fish to get with swordtails as yet lol any advice would be nice when the time comes Hoeofully the on the right track x
You are so very welcome :) More corys, definitely. I am not comfortable recommending other kinds of fish since we each have different tastes. there are others here that are great at it though so once the time comes I am sure someone will have some thoughts. If you see something you want just do your research on their requirements and you should do fine.

Rebeccaxo

Definitely thank you yeah my two wee corys seem like they need some back up at feeding time , wee souls but hopefully in time I can add more for them x

mattgirl

Definitely thank you yeah my two wee corys seem like they need some back up at feeding time , wee souls but hopefully in time I can add more for them x
Since you are on top of testing and water changes as needed you may want to consider going ahead and getting them at least 3 more friends instead of waiting. Right now the bio-load in this tank is very low so is producing very little ammonia. Adding 3 more shouldn't be a problem and might even help get this tank cycled.

If you are not comfortable doing so the tank will still cycle to the bio-load of the fish already in the tank so don't do anything you aren't comfortable doing.

Rebeccaxo

I might do that in a few days because at least I have you all for advice if it all goes wrong but I think you are definitely right snd I think they need friends as the swordtails are little cheeky bullies haha x

Fish99

Yeah coukd be when would
You worried about nitrates? Is it also a good sign to see them.. yeah it’s weird how they are there as I’ve been reading snd a lot of folk say it takes a while for them to show up x
Yes, very strange if you ask me. I think they came from somewhere else not the cycle. I don't think it could be water from the fish store now that I think about it because you have done so many water changes. It is very possible you goofed up the test I suppose, that one is a little finicky.
Anywho, take a well deserved break, you likely will have nothing to do other than enjoy the fish for a week or two, maybe more. :)

Rebeccaxo

Yes, very strange if you ask me. I think they came from somewhere else not the cycle. I don't think it could be water from the fish store now that I think about it because you have done so many water changes. It is very possible you goofed up the test I suppose, that one is a little finicky.
Anywho, take a well deserved break, you likely will have nothing to do other than enjoy the fish for a week or two, maybe more. :)
Thank you! I rechecked and it’s still
Showing lol, just to be sure it’s still orange strange eh! Anyway yeah definitely gonna enjoy them and maybe add some wee more corys if all is well x
Totally off subject but my son and partner have been playing lego and my son had built a little house I’ve been researching and there is a lot of mixed messages on forms and pages about lego being safe any ideas hes popped a little shark on top he’s allergic to most things animals dust grass haha so his fish are like his wee babies he absolutely loves them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 13

Fish99

Thank you! I rechecked and it’s still
Showing lol, just to be sure it’s still orange strange eh! Anyway yeah definitely gonna enjoy them and maybe add some wee more corys if all is well x
Totally off subject but my son and partner have been playing lego and my son had built a little house I’ve been researching and there is a lot of mixed messages on forms and pages about lego being safe any ideas hes popped a little shark on top he’s allergic to most things animals dust grass haha so his fish are like his wee babies he absolutely loves them
lol, they are safe until you step on one!!!
Happy fish keeping.

mattgirl

lol, they are safe until you step on one!!!
Happy fish keeping.
This was my thoughts as well. I have to think as long as they are rinsed well they should be safe but I can't be 100% positive. I know they are made of plastic. I don't know if they will or won't eventually leach something that could harm fish.

Rebeccaxo

Haha I didn’t put it in I’m too scared for that reason lol, today’s readings
Today’s readings ammonia seems to be about 0.50 nitrites look negative to me, and the nitrate is quite orange about 10 ppm x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 13

mattgirl

It is difficult to determine colors on the screen but to me the ammonia looks closer to .25 I think it would be safe to let it ride. Meaning no water change needs to be done today. :)

Rebeccaxo

Thank you yeah definitely it is very light green thank you check again maybe 2 days was going to add 3
Corys this week x

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
gatroe
Replies
Views
jamesde
Replies