shop lights yes or no

paswed
I have been told you can take shop lights and put saltwater bulbs in them and use them for fish tank lights does anyone know if this is so

MagpieTear
My only concern would be the quality of the reflector... how much light would you loose? A shop light is meant to spread the light across a huge area, where you're wanting to focus the light in a 18" or so area.

paswed
can you tell me where do I find the ballest to set up the lights in the canpoy

Tio
home depot sell balast and the ends for the bulbs seperately but it may be cheaper to buy a shop light and strip it down.yoyu could also get the shop light and try spray painting the reflector with silver paint and a couple pieces of wood along the length of the light also painted silver to direct the light straight down.

SereneReyn
use caution if spray painting... highly flammable and such.

Butterfly
I have a 2 bulb shop light hanging over my 55 gallon and seems to be doing fine
Carol

Tio
or use sheet steel like stainless steel polished up

≈ D ≈
Or you can use high temp chrome spray paint - just let the paint dry properly before installing the lights etc.

Do the spray painting outside if possible as the fumes can make you

Chief_waterchanger
The fumes can harm the fish also.

But we use shoplights in the fishhouse. The metallic dome type things with a light bulb and the graspy thing you squeeze to open... (The dome reminds me of the hoods they put on dogs sometimes, just wider.)

It works great and looks like they are giving you good advice. Just one warning!

DO NOT let water splash up onto the light. I had a pleco splash water at the light when I was trying to catch it and glass went everywhere.

Drea

D` I bet you were so happy! you found a reason to use the new barf smilie!

Tavel
I use shop lights for my hydroponic kit. Mylar works great for optimizing the reflectors, far better and cheaper than any other option. Get yourself some spray adhesive and duct tape too. (spray adhesive on the reflector, apply the mylar, and tape the edges. E-Z)

I got mine from this place, I think it's some dude in his living room...but it's cheaper than wrapping paper from hallmark!

You can use it for all kinds of things too, it's fun stuff.

addicted2fish
hI this mylar stuff looks cool, I just finished my 45 /55 canopy and I have put in shop lights, this works well, I used 2 fixtures, and 4 bulbs I bought the plant bulbs , so I now have 160 watts on a 45 planted tank, I have just filled it today with eco complete and water and a few rocks, I will post pics soon !! I also have 2 other 55 that are awsome !!! glad I found this new forum !! I want to know if anyone has some of this mylar silver mirror stuff they could sell me and ship to me for cheaper . I do not need 25 feet !!! and you probally didnt ethier, just wondering ???? if anyone hAs some my zip is 29505 so you could figure out shipping . please let me know if anyone has some of this they could sell to me I only need about 6in, at 4ft long. I don't have a saltwater tank, but thought this would intenisfy my lightuing for my plants .. let me know, thanxs !!~~~~~~~ starla

sirdarksol
I was actually thinking something similar. They make the compact fluorescent bulbs that screw into a standard outlet. You can get track lighting for really cheap, and I was thinking of mounting the track to the wall over the tank. This way, I can adjust the bulbs to highlight different parts of the tank, and provide a high wattage at relatively low cost (and it would be more attractive than the shop lights)

theroaringbear
Hey guys! I want to preface with a thank you for checking this out, and bigger thanks if you can give me some advice.

So, I have a 55 gallon aquarium that's 48 inches long. It's decently planted, but I'm using the fluorescent lights that came with it, and I'm on a bit of a budget.

I was watching King of DIY, and I saw that he has LED shop lights for his aquarium lighting, and I was wondering if any of you have done this with your own tanks. Do you have any advice for it? Any suggestions?

Insert mandatory tank picture:
41db009c74a3549e5a6dbdfff7ff3e05.jpg

MrBryan723
If you have the skill do it. You can do diy stuff that the best name brands can't even touch. For the same price or way less. Unless you're spending the money on sodium, LEDs are the way to go.

theroaringbear
If you have the skill do it. You can do diy stuff that the best name brands can't even touch. For the same price or way less. Unless you're spending the money on sodium, LEDs are the way to go.
I guess my real question is, would it be viable for my plants? Like, would the bulbs still work correctly?

Bettanewb
I use the clamp on shop lights for my plants with cfl bulbs.
But I grow fairly easy low light plants.

Lorekeeper
The LED lights that the King of DIY are not suitable for plants.

You could probably grow maybe some duckweed, java moss, java fern and anacharis with them, but that's about it.

I think he even go in depth on why they wouldn't work well, and if you want proof yourself, look at the large tank with the biggest arowana in it. It has those LEDs packed in there and it barely lights up the tank.

Bettanewb
Oops sorry didn't see the led portion of the post. Sorry it's still early

theroaringbear
The LED lights that the King of DIY are not suitable for plants.

You could probably grow maybe some duckweed, java moss, java fern and anacharis with them, but that's about it.

I think he even go in depth on why they wouldn't work well, and if you want proof yourself, look at the large tank with the biggest arowana in it. It has those LEDs packed in there and it barely lights up the tank.
Ah, okay. That's what I was wanting to know. Thanks a ton!

Any suggestions on a decently budget friendly LED that'd be suitable?

KarainSD
I'm using 60 watt led floodlight lights that I ordered off of Amazon for my 55 gallon. I'm growing low light plants, and they are all doing well.
I had them sitting directly on the glass top, but I put some egg crate beneath it to diffuse it a bit. The light is a bit intense right below the lights, have hair algae growing on my moneywort near the surface - no idea about par or any of that.

theroaringbear
I want to try growing dhg, but I don't think my lighting is strong enough.

KarainSD
I do not have Dwarf hair grass, so I can't tell you if my lighting setup would work for that.

I think carpeting plants can be hard to grow in a 55 though, since it's so deep.

Lorekeeper
Ah, okay. That's what I was wanting to know. Thanks a ton!

Any suggestions on a decently budget friendly LED that'd be suitable?
Pretty much, the cheapest most efficient option is to build your own fixture. You're still looking at $200+ though.

If you want to buy a fixture, look at the Finnex LEDs.

Honestly, IMO LEDs are hyped up for what they are. They're great if you can afford them, but a T5HO fixture would work just as well for your tank.

theroaringbear
Is T5HO still fluorescent? I'm new to doing things with lighting, so I don't know much about it

Geoffrey
T5HO are fluorescent, but many people still prefer those over LEDs.

Have you watched Joey's videos on his DIY LED lighting? He switched out many of his lights for them

theroaringbear
Joey? Is the King's real name?

cichlidman
10 buck shop light with the 10 buck 6000k bulbs from walmart works great. If the fixture gets splashed it tends to rust a little

Geoffrey
Joey? Is the King's real name?
Yeah.
Here's the build video (and another build showing how the light can do)

theroaringbear
Yeah.
Here's the build video (and another build showing how the light can do)

Thanks for the help!

Though I've found a 48 inch light bar for 70 bucks that looks enticing

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Dechi
Replies
Views
fishman'iac
Replies
Views