Shipping in freezing temps? Nothing is in stock

PAcanis

I have been having an impossible time locating the fish I want for my Rio Negro Igapo tank. And today, as I searched the internet high and low again, I realize the temps outside are barely above freezing with snow on the ground.

So, do stores tend to stock less, or make less of an effort to get fish in (I see a lot of US stores advertising EU sourced fish), when the weather turns cold?
Or is this a byproduct of the shortages everywhere?

And... is it generally considered a poor idea to try to buy fish online in these temps anyway?
Even the LFS's stock seems to have dropped.

BradleyH2O

I was looking at Dave’s Rare Aquarium Fish website when I was on the hunt for African cichlids. They ship year round using ice packs or heat packs, depending on species and tailor it to your shipping destination and time of year...even to Alaska.

I imagine a lot of breeders do this as well

PAcanis

I was looking at Dave’s Rare Aquarium Fish website when I was on the hunt for African cichlids. They ship year round using ice packs or heat packs, depending on species and tailor it to your shipping destination and time of year...even to Alaska.

I imagine a lot of breeders do this as well

Thanks.
I only know what I'm Googling, or searching Ebay for, so I'm sure there are a lot of sources I'm missing.
I'll try Dave's, but I'm still curious why so many fish seem to be out of stock. Not only what I'm looking for, but other aquarium fish as well.

I wasn't sure if the lack of stock was seasonal or something else. Maybe even regulated? As in, you can only catch wild fish during certain seasons (like after spawning?).

coralbandit

Many breeders will reserve the right to hold shipping if temps are above or below 'acceptable' at either end of the deal .
I shipped year round and found now till January 6 or so many will not ship due to holiday delays .
I did well by being one of the few ! ;)
I used USPS express and no more trouble than any other time .
I used a double insulated [ 2x1 inch foam] box and 72 hr heat pack and things went well.
Look at Aquabid for your fish and ask the seller how and when they can ship to you .
Read their reviews .
I shipped to member here in Alaska in December and have shipped as far away as Guam .

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Anders247
Replies
Views
BottomDweller
Replies
Views
!poogs!
Replies
Views