Shipping Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TheFishGirl, Apr 11, 2017.

1. TheFishGirl

TheFishGirl Valued Member Member

I just bought a 'mystery box' off of aquabid. Never purchased fish online before, this account hasn't had any negative reviews and they're coming from Hawaii and the person stated in the email that if I do priority mail (which was the only thing he offered, that I found, in the auction description) then he wouldn't cover DOA — so there's some fine print — unless I paid him $50 total while original cost of the auction was only $20

Looking up Hawaii to my northern New England state it claims priority mail should only take 2 to 3 days ... I guess my question is if guppies stand a chance at 3 days. I really don't want to pay $50 for a mystery box of 3 guppies that I don't even know the color / gender / strain ... I just wanted to dip my toes in buying off aquabid / online and thought I got a cheap deal seeing it also includes a mystery gift as well.

Has anyone else experienced shipping fish?

2. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I have bought online. The breeder has to be open, with no games or mysteries.

I never buy unless the night-time temperatures are above 10c,and the daytime below 25c.

Remember that the number one thing a scammer looks for in a victim is someone who wants mysterious quality cheap.

If I were paying those prices, I would want photos of the actual fish, and good, clear information.

3. OP
    OP
    TheFishGirl

Yeah normally I wouldn't want to buy without pictures but all his reviews are really good and they said his 'mystery' fish were better than they expected so thought I'd take the gamble just never expected the 'oh yeah you'll need to pay $50 for full coverage' tbh I'm only paying the $20 cause that's ridiculous. I could have bought an actual pretty decent breeding quality trio for $50 / $60

4. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

They should survive 3 days in transit ok (if your postal services are generally reliable anyway). Post pics when they arrive, it will be interesting to see what you get :) Not sure how you pay on aquabid as I'm in Australia so can't use them, but don't forget if you pay with paypal you automatically get buyer protection, so even if something arrives dead you can open up a paypal case and they'll refund you (eventually) as they always take the buyers side, just take a photo in the unopened bag if any are DOA.

5. OP
    OP
    TheFishGirl

I did do PayPal!! My mail service is good, never had something late. I'll definitely post pictures / video I'm curious I mean his reviews were really good that's why I took the gamble we'll see!

6. OP
    OP
    TheFishGirl

My aquabid purchase finally came! They sent me 6 instead of 3 (the original purchase number). Have to say the packaging wasn't great and the post office almost lost them but a week later and all 6 are doing great! Here's a video of them before they went into their tank ;)

7. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

Well that's a nice surprise :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice