Shipping Fish - Page 2

Amanda

Convicts

Shawnie

some other helpful things ive learned is make sure you double bag...put them in the bag, then tie it up and flip the back upside down and bag again in another bag..you do NOT want corners for them to get stuck and suffocated in..depending on where you are shipping and the temps at the time, you may need cooling packs..(small half dollar sized ice packs) or some freezer felt...(thick felt that is frozen overnight and holds the cooler temps) ..

Martinismommy

CH, I ordered the same boxes from USPS....Just make sure to either wrap them with brown paper or turn the boxes inside out if you ship express mail...They will not except a priority box for express.....I also got my foam at Home depot as well....Isn't shipping fun.....

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol I hate shipping fish!

CHoffman

some other helpful things ive learned is make sure you double bag...put them in the bag, then tie it up and flip the back upside down and bag again in another bag..you do NOT want corners for them to get stuck and suffocated in..depending on where you are shipping and the temps at the time, you may need cooling packs..(small half dollar sized ice packs) or some freezer felt...(thick felt that is frozen overnight and holds the cooler temps) ..

I was wondering if you could do this with breather bags?? You use breather bags though don't you shawnie.

Martinismommy

Shawnie, Felt coolers? hummmmmm I need to know where to get these....I have been driving to the airport for my shipments this month so the fish don't overheat.....I also upgraded to 1 inch thick styrofoam....I'm a little nervous about cool packs of any kind with Bettas....

SWilkins

CH, I ordered the same boxes from USPS....Just make sure to either wrap them with brown paper or turn the boxes inside out if you ship express mail...They will not except a priority box for express.....I also got my foam at Home depot as well....Isn't shipping fun.....

I hope you got a bunch of those boxes at one time. They have now printed on the inside of them for priority mail only. I was doing the inside out box myself so I guess it is back to brown paper wrapping. I think they caught on LOL. You would not think they would mind since they are getting more money...I guess that is USPS for ya.

Shawnie

I was wondering if you could do this with breather bags?? You use breather bags though don't you shawnie.

yes you can cesch..and yes I do as well as use the regular shipping bags

Red1313

lol that's because you've gotta say goodbye to all your pretty babies.

Butterfly

One note of caution- Breather bags cannot be double bagged only regular plastic bags.
Breather bags will not breathe as well if doubled. Here are step by step instructions on using them

Carol

Martinismommy

SW......Are you serious! Geeeeeeeze lol......I agree and have asked the postal workers about that and why they don't offer free boxes for express mail.....Makes no sense to me at all! All they can say is "I don't know" lol

Martinismommy

Carol, that makes sense....I wondered about that.....

CHoffman

Ok..I used the link that Ken's supplies and read up. You can multI bag perferably with newspaper, even several layers between the bags..But multI baggin does cut down breathablity up to 50%...I'm wondering if putting them in a foam box inside the box is going to cut down breathablity as well??..it does say the bags can breath just fine in corrugated boxes and plastic foam...I'm assuming they are talking about styrofoams. They say to separate the bags (when shipping more then one bag of fish) with a piece of cardboard because you want as much of the bag to be able to exchange gases as possiable and if they are against each other they are unable to do that.

LOl..Carol beat me ;D

SWilkins

Ok..I used the link that Ken's supplies and read up. You can multI bag perferably with newspaper, even several layers between the bags..But multI baggin does cut down breathablity up to 50%...I'm wondering if putting them in a foam box inside the box is going to cut down breathablity as well??..it does say the bags can breath just fine in corrugated boxes and plastic foam...I'm assuming they are talking about styrofoams. They say to separate the bags (when shipping more then one bag of fish) with a piece of cardboard because you want as much of the bag to be able to exchange gases as possiable and if they are against each other they are unable to do that.

LOl..Carol beat me ;D

I read that too but I want them to have 100% of the oxygen they can get. I use either papertowels or newspaper to wrap the bag and then put in more newspaper for added insulation and protection against too much movement. I think they can get air in the insulated boxes...I mean I don't know about you but I can't make them airtight.

SWilkins

SW......Are you serious! Geeeeeeeze lol......I agree and have asked the postal workers about that and why they don't offer free boxes for express mail.....Makes no sense to me at all! All they can say is "I don't know" lol

Yep I am afraid so. I just folded those boxes inside out and the last time I got some in they had that printed on the inside of them. I saved what few I had that didn't for express so I could wait as long as possible before having to wrap the package on top of packing the package. I got the exact same answer on that. And if you put in for pickup, I do with some things I ship to my daughter, not fish. They will only take it if it is priority and not anything else. No answer on that one either.

CHoffman

I also found this and thought I would share.

Slug

Best packing job i've ever seen can be seen here.

This guy's packing is amazing. Usually triple or quadruple bags (double will work fine) With newspaper in the layers. I've never seen the newspaper wet on multiple orders.

The rest is just bags inside a larger bag surrounded by packing peanuts in a styro cooler inside of a cardboard box and a heat pack taped to the inside top of the styro cooler. As long as they arn't sloshing around they should be good. Sometimes you don't even need a heat or cool pack, just be aware of where the package is going and by what means (Plane, Truck, etc).

CHoffman

Best packing job i've ever seen can be seen here.

This guy's packing is amazing. Usually triple or quadruple bags (double will work fine) With newspaper in the layers. I've never seen the newspaper wet on multiple orders.

The rest is just bags inside a larger bag surrounded by packing peanuts in a styro cooler inside of a cardboard box and a heat pack taped to the inside top of the styro cooler. As long as they arn't sloshing around they should be good. Sometimes you don't even need a heat or cool pack, just be aware of where the package is going and by what means (Plane, Truck, etc).

Those aren't breather bag though are they??.

Slug

No regular

akamel

I just read Shawnie's thread about losing the babies she shipped !! I'm so sorry shawnie !! Thankyou for the info--I will keep that in mind for future reference ! OVERNIGHT !!! NOT PRIORITY !! But I have a question --exactly how do you ship live fish ?? I know there are some kind of baggy things or something--but I don't know much more. I have never received or shipped fish and would like to know more as from time to time I have fish that don't get along,etc and I can't rehome them in my home

CHoffman

I can't speak for anyone but myself but how I pack fish is this. I use thick styrofoam to make a box inside the box that I'll be shipping them in, kinda like a cooler. So you have to cut styrofoam to fit the bottom sides and one for a lid.. I fast the fish two days before shipping, I use breather bags and bag buddies you can buy them at kens fish I use half tank water and half new water I put in a couple of drops of Prime. Each fish has their own bag. I turn the first bag upside down so the knot is at the botom and slide another bag over it so there are no corners that fish can get stuck in. With breather bags you don't want the bags touching each other so I use lots of shredded newspaper or wrap them in newspaper. You want them to be tight in there and not to move around. so use as much newspaper as you can...I called the Post office and found out when their truck arrived so I could take them down there as late in the day as possible so they don't spend any more time in the box then necessary..I hope I didn't confuse you to badly..lol

Slug

Never shipped them myself, though I plan to start once I get back into the swing of things. This is how I get them sent to me, pictures in this thread:

Shawnie

be very careful with breather bags...although they work awesome, not with allot of cichlids that have more strong/pointy/sharp finnage....they will break the breather bags...I used them with bettas and livebearers but that's it...

navyscuba

I use breather bags only for hand deliver fish like Shawnie said the bags are really thin.

bmxer193

Ive always wondered how do you safely ship fish? Do you happen to know off hand about what it would cost to ship them to Western MA?

Aquarist

Good morning,

I have moved your post from the Buy/Sell/Trade (BST) section to General Discussion. We are trying to keep the BST free of chat and too this will help you to get more responses.

Thanks!
Ken

Flyfrod

It depends on what you're getting shipped. If it's bettas around 35 dollars. If it's discus around 80 to 100 dollars.

Lucy

It also depends on your location, shipping type (over night, priority etc), what size box, how much you're ordering.
There's to many variables for a straight answer to this question.

Dr.TylerShoemaker

Welcom to Fish Lore,

Generally, anywhere from about $30 to about $150 depending on your location and size of the fish. Personally I opt out when it comes to shipping fish because its just a pain. But if you LPS doesn't have that certain fish, or no one in the state has that fish, the only other option is by mail.

Hope I helped!

Goldwing_Don

+1 Lucy
Welcome to fishlore Dr. Tyler Shoemaker .

FriendsNotFood

Ok I shipped a fish personally just a few months ago.
Depending on quarantine and state shipping, it changes a bit. For myself with absolutely no state issues to send 1 fish it cost $35 USD. I shipped 1 fish, weighed 2kilos, 30cmx20cmx20cm I think were the dimensions. Because I couldn't get a cooler box, I just had a fish in a bag, wrapped in lots of shopping bags for safety (if the bag broke, would stay contained, for insulation and cushioning) then in a A4 paperbox packed in tight with newspaper. If you could get a smaller styrofoam cooler box you could probably manage smaller packaging, but it likely won't cost you less as they usually charge in groupings, like items between this size/weight is $30, items between this size/weight is $50 and so on. Was a short distance, so I just got standard shipping. The longer the distance, the higher priority you'll need to pay for. Airmail was $30usd extra I think...and that's because I asked for "special fragile treatment".

Then also depending on how its being shipped... by aeroplane will cost you extra, unless it's linked to someone flying (eg you're flying somewhere and take a fish as "baggage" it's usually free baggage with just the pet transport fee of about $30-$50, or $100 for a big box of fishies like the LFS do).

If you have a nice LFS, try go in and chat with the store manager. I found them very helpful. You can ask them who they use for transporting their fish. And if you're shipping a lot of fish some LFS's will give away their boxes free. If not, try supermarkets with fish sections (I mean edible fish) and fish sellers the type that are importing and exporting fish. They often either give them away free, or sell them for $5-$10 a tub (depends on size). We have lots of companies ith fishing vessels attached that sell their excess styrofoam cooler boxes to petstores and anyone interested.

Kathy Potts

How do you ship fish?

jetajockey

it's fairly easy, get some flat rate boxes from the post office (Free), some sort of insulation, the more the better. Most people use styrofoam.

Some people use the big fish bags filled with o2 to send fish in, and this is o.k. but i've seen much better results overall with people who use Kordon's breather bags. The breather bags take in o2 from outside and expel co2 so you don't have to leave room in the bag for air, this makes transit easier for the fish since they aren't splashing around as much..

This time of year it's also a good idea to use a cold pack. I've seen people use regular fish bags full of water and frozen and double bagged and then also have seen people use actual cold packs. Both seem to work, the key is not to have the cold pack directly on the fish bags, so it doesn't get them too chilly. It works best when they are just in teh same box separated by a little bit of insulation or something, just to lower to ambient temperature in the box.

Priority mail will get the fish to most nearby places in 2 days, and across the country in 3. The fish are usually fine if packed well and handled well, but sometimes accidents happen, bags leak, etc.

Another thing that people do is they fast the fish for a few days before shipping them, that way they aren't adding a bunch of waste to their water in transit. There are also products like 'bag buddies' which are tablets you put in to each bag that have various things to calm the fish and keep the water in good condition.

Large fish are much harder to ship than small ones, but luckily, in general, larger fish tend to cost much more so spending the extra money on overnight shipping is justified.

Treefork

Well, I've never shipped, but I just received some overnight in the mail this week. They were shipped to me in a styrofoam package inside of a box, inside of that was foam peanuts and newspaper with Kordon brand breather bags and water, 2 fish to a bag. I imagine some people probably use some type of oxygenator. That's about all I know.

EDIT: Ninja'd by JetaJockey!

Kathy Potts

I have never shipped fish before. I am getting overstocked here. I have tons of peacocks that needs homes. This is the problem: Several LFS said that they would buy fish, but now that they are ready to go, all I get is excuses. I had rather give them to strangers than to the LFS. I know that sounds mean, but I wouldn't have bred them if I didn't think I could get rid of them. I hope my frustration is understood? Any suggestions on what to do?

TedsTank

Leave you doors unlocked and Lucy and the MOD squad will get them.

Chris123

You could sell them online you can do it here on the BST or aquabid is another good place to sell them

Kathy Potts

Leave you doors unlocked and Lucy and the MOD squad will get them.

Who is the MOD squad?

Meenu

Who is the MOD squad?

I think it's a play on words based on some old TV show.
The mods here are Butterfly, Ken, Lucy, Shawnie, Sirdarksol, and Agsansoo (he does saltwater)

Kathy Potts

Gotcha!! I am new here but have already "met" them. I am impressed with the MOD squad To them!!

Kathy Potts

You could sell them online you can do it here on the BST or aquabid is another good place to sell them

What is the BST? - What is that and where do I find it?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
fishkid04
Replies
Views
IzabelB
  • Question
Replies
Views
RedOnion