Shipping Fish Using Breather Bags

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by GuppyGuy007, Apr 9, 2018.

1. GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007Well Known MemberMember

I plan on shipping Peppered Corys in the semi near future, and wanted a few opinions on how I would do so. First off, I read about some sort of toxin produced by cories, so I need to worry about that? Second question is do I need to double bag them? Third-should they be filled completely or filled like a normal bag with slack? Four- how thick should Styrofoam coating of box be? Fifth-how many corys per bag, bags are 6"X10"? Six-what is the minimum weather in destination that I should be Shipping? Seven- is it best to write fragile, write perishable, write liquid, write liquid, write live fish, or not write anything at all, or a combination of them? Any other tips/tricks that might seem helpful in this process? I plan on using a medium flat rate priority mail box, with a 72 hour heat pack. Thanks for all suggestions.

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

Firstly, Corydoras do not produce toxins in a poisonous sense. They do have the ammonia buildup problem that happens when ever you ship a fish in a bag though, which is poisonous. You don't want to double bag your fish if you are using breather bags. breather bags don't work properly when in contact with other bags. They work in reverse taking oxygen from the water when touching other bags. Breather bags don't need any slack in them and you can fill them completly with water. As for the styrofoam, get a high density closed cell foam. they are more heavy duty and contain the heat better. You can also always tape a heat pack to the top of the bottom of the lid to add heat to the box. In a 6 by 10 bag, you could possibly have 3 corries per bag, but again, this could cause problems if one were to not make it therfore fouling the water. Look into the 4 by 8 breather bags where you can put one fish per bag. This will increase your chances of having a 100% chance of everything alive when delivered. As for what to write on the box, usually you can find stickers saying live animal and this side up. Other tricks, put papers towels around your breather bags to avoid contact with other bags. I've seen paper towel bags out their that you can slip over your breather bags.

3. OP
    OP
    GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007Well Known MemberMember

I read that sometimes they won' accept live animals, even if it is on their website, and they are even more uncareful when it says fragile

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice