Shipping Bronze Cories - No Experience

PRJ since1990
Hey all. Forgive me if this is the wrong subforum to post this in, feel free to relocate it.

I've been successful breeding and raising Bronze Cories over the past couple months and I brought some to a LFS but they won't take anymore because they are having issues selling them. Little did I know, they're not the most popular.

I'm looking into the option of shipping them to people but I need help. I've never shipped live animals and I am unsure as to the best way to do it. I know I am using Priority USPS mail.

What kind of bags should I use? What kind of packing material should I use? Do I need a heat pack? I live in Upstate NY and temps are going low 40s to 65-70 high. Finally, any specific tips to shipping the Cories? I know they can secrete toxins when stressed.

Big THANKS in advance.

CHIMERA
Aw, I love bronze cories.
Shipping bags for fish are somewhat annoying to look for. If you look hard enough online, there are some you can find and purchase. If not, go to your LFS and ask if you can have some for a bit of money. Yes, you can use a heat pack especially where you are, and cories can tolerate heat way better than people think they can. Divide the cories into small groups in separate bags to dilute the toxins they will release in transit. I would recommend looking online and buying sets of boxes with styrofoam insides. Make sure you capture enough air or use a bottle of oxygen to fill each bag so they won’t suffocate. Double bag and wrap with newspaper to decrease stress. Write in huge letters that it is live fish and to handle carefully. Unfortunately, the fish business is not a profitable one. Luckily, if you are content on making little, you will be fine. Once you are done packing, drive to whatever shipping station or post office you are planning on using and just do the regular shipping thing.

PRJ since1990
Shipping bags for fish are somewhat annoying to look for. If you look hard enough online, there are some you can find and purchase. If not, go to your LFS and ask if you can have some for a bit of money. Yes, you can use a heat pack especially where you are, and cories can tolerate heat way better than people think they can. Divide the cories into small groups in separate bags to dilute the toxins they will release in transit. I would recommend looking online and buying sets of boxes with styrofoam insides. Make sure you capture enough air or use a bottle of oxygen to fill each bag so they won’t suffocate. Double bag and wrap with newspaper to decrease stress. Write in huge letters that it is live fish and to handle carefully. Unfortunately, the fish business is not a profitable one. Luckily, if you are content on making little, you will be fine. Once you are done packing, drive to whatever shipping station or post office you are planning on using and just do the regular shipping thing.
Should I use standard water tight bags or go for the Kordon Breather Bags? I know Cories gulp air at the surface from time to time.

Bruxes and Bubbles
Since corydoras have spines, go for the thicker bags and double bag.

You will want to go for a medium priority box at the least - find out what the temperature minimums and maximums will be to determine if you should use a heat pack or a cold pack or anything. Always knot the bag - rubber bands don't always hold.

Styrofoam is a great insulator, and you can use paper or peanuts to keep the bags of fish from moving around in transit.

Make sure to purge the fish for at least 2 days before shipping.

OnTheFly
Good advice here. This is how I ship fish. Profit is tough too. I buy $50 breeders and still just pay for the fish food and perhaps the electricity. Common fish are going to be tough to sell. I'd love to have some more bronze cories for my growout tanks but I could buy 6 or 7 at the LFS for the price you would need to charge for shipping if you factor in some shipping supplies. Recycle shipping materials. If you buy fish reuse the box. Styrofoam peanuts insulate fairly well. So does normal house insulation. You'll have to pinch pennies.

PRJ since1990
Thankfully at this point it's simply to give good homes to the babies. I figured I could bring them all to the LFS but if he doesn't sell any, I can't bring him the rest. Any money made has already been spent in food and equipment to set up the grow out tank. Thank you all so much for this information. I think I can make some sound choices and will report back in when I ship them and receive (hopefully) good news!

Anyone else who has good tips, feel free to add their 2 cents as well!

Cljensen
You may want to try selling them on craigslist or kijijI or at a fish auction if you have one near you before trying to ship them.

PRJ since1990
You may want to try selling them on craigslist or kijijI or at a fish auction if you have one near you before trying to ship them.
Yeah that's the issue. Already have them up on craigslist and I've gotten two emails from strange people and nothing happened. Bunch of weirdos.

Cljensen
Oh that sucks. I've had really good luck with kijiji.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Marlene327
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies
Views