Shiny Spots On Both Pupils Several Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Jmount, Apr 20, 2019.

1. JmountNew MemberMember

Hi Everyone,
    I was hoping someone can shed some light on a couple concerns with our freshwater fish (we have had most of them over a year).

We noticed our gourami develop a shiny (reflective like) spot directly on the pupil of both eyes .. I attached a photo to show his eyes exactly. This just showed up out of the blue summer of last year. He has no white spots or other issues. But now we noticed the same exact phenomenon develop on 1 of 2 of our Barbs. We have treated for ick just in case and increased temp to be warmer in tank. We add a couple guys to the community about a week ago and just lost 2 neon tetras, ghost shrimp, and a juvenile rainbow shark the past two days. We have separated the community until we can figure out if the recent deaths are community disease. (Our original fish for past year .. 2 barbs. Gourami.. plecos.. and danios are active and seem perfectly fine.

Any advice if these spots in older guys are contagious or anything to worry about.. could it be ick even if it’s only on pupils of 2 of 7 fish almost 1 year now? MUCH APPRECIATED for annnyyy help/guidance!

Attached Files:

2. JmountNew MemberMember

Ps.. I can provide the suggested template discussed in posting guidelines if needed. And happy to upload more pics if helpful..

3. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Is it on or in the eye ?

4. bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

Can I just confirm a couple things, from your post?
    - do the spots look identical on the gourami and the barb?
    - the gourami (and barb?) has these spots before you added the new fish that died?
    - the gourami has had the spots for how long? Summer of last year, so 3/4 of a year?
    Also, just curious, do the spots stay the same, or get bigger smaller or come and go?

5. bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

Been doing some internet digging for you on this, with a specific question/objective in mind.
    - can cloudy eye (a common fish disease/condition) present as you have described/shown it, ie spot vs whole eye, long term effect with no other symptoms?
    It would appear the answer is “yes”. So I would say it’s possible (likely) this is what you’re dealing with.
    Further, cloudy eye is generally accepted/described as environmental (as opposed to infectious). This is consistent with other fish getting it, but not having a rapid or consistent spread through your community.
    How many fish get it in your tank, and how bad they get it, will be a function of how serious the environmental issues are (I suspect yours are low-grade), and how healthy/robust each fish is. With a low-grade environmental condition, only the weakest or most susceptible fish will show symptoms.
    This is all hypothetical, but fits your situation thus far.
    Can you tell us more about your stocking, feeding, filtration, circulation, water changes and water parameters?

6. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I was searching on cloudy eye / cataract as well. Didn't find spots like these though.

If it is that it could point not only to waterconditions but also a lack of certain vitamins/minerals.

7. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Usually caused by bad water. First thing to check is water parameters.

8. bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

Ya, I hope my post above comes across as it’s intended; a possibility rather than a diagnosis.

9. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

It did. Same reason why I asked if it was in or on the eye.

10. JmountNew MemberMember

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and help so far.. It’s definitely on the Eyes not in the Eyes. The spot in each are identical shape size position bilaterally and yes only on the two oldest fish about 6-8 months

11. JmountNew MemberMember

Here is the gourami looking directly straight where you can see the shiny spot reflection in each eye

Attached Files:

12. bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

Any answers to the other stuff?