Shimmying But Good Water Parameters?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by faithapaul1, Apr 16, 2018.

1. f

faithapaul1 New Member Member

Hi Everyone,
    So I just took my tank parameters:
    Ammonia: 0.0 (possibly a little above, color was between 0.25 and 0.0)
    Ph: 8.3
    Nitrate: 40.0
    Nitrite: 0.0
    Temp: 83F

I have a 46 gallon tank with:
    5 mollies
    1 swordtail
    3 Platies
    6 kuhli
    2 Algae eaters
    1 ghost shrimp
    1 mosquito fish

There is an aerator and six plants.

One of my mollies started shimmying about a week ago and since then I’ve noticed others begin to do so, not as much but enough that I noticed.

At first I thought it was low ph at 7.4, but no other fish did it so I carried on and didn’t change anything.

I lost three fish (2 platies, 1 swordtail) at the end of March to some disease that made them extremely emmaciated and caused them to hide. No other fish seem sick or look thin. All look fairly well. I have treated with paraguard but haven’t done water changes in a bit so haven’t added anymore.

Aside from the shimmying the only other thing I noticed was my black Molly hiding when I got home today. She keeps getting reoccurring bouts of what I believe to be is fungus but recovers quickly. Since she is the fish most likely to get sick, what do you think is going on? She is not shimmying severely.

Is this a disease or something in the water? Should I treat with paraguard?

2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Reduce the nitrate rate mollies should have less then 20 mg/l do a water change of 25% or lower

3. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

83°F is quite the toasty temp... Might bring that down to 78 where the fish will be more comfortable. May help with their stress level and overall health. Be sure to reduce heat slowly and not all at once as to not stress them further.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice