shimmy, float back, swim forward, stop, shimmy, float back....help please

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
my serpae tetra and my silver-tip tetra are both repeating this over and over...they appear to be able to swim straight when they think they see food, or if one of the other fish chase them...the belly of the serpae is very pale, and the silver-tip appears more shiny-metallic looking than usual..are they coming down with something? what is the shaking all about? the temp has not changed at all.
Thanks,
Denise

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I did a 25% water change yesterday. The water is still a little cloudy today. I had to go out with my family tonight, but we stopped by Petsmart on the way home and I (finally) got a master test kit. Thanks for answering me Gunnie! I will post the levels after I figure this kit out...I am actually feeling sick myself...gtg, Denise
oh by the way, I forgot my printout of the online price, and Petsmart took me at my word for the price! I thought that was really nice and trusting of them

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I looked up Shimmies and Shimmying and got the following - possible causes: change in water chemistry - not likely with the readings you gave; Nitrite poisoning - also not likely; other forms of poisoning - wouldn't know what to tell you there as I do not know what you add to the tank; Cloudy water due to suspended matter in the water that is irritating the gill tissue - you mentioned cloudy water the only cure mentioned would be massive water changes to remove the particles and hope that they are not infective; chilling due to change in temperature at water change; Columnaris Disease which is responsible for the disease Mouth rot or Mouth Fungus - small off-white or gray lesions or marks concentrated on the head, fins, gills, and mouth cavity are the main signs - the develop into a cotton wool type growth mainly around the mouth region.; Flexibacter Bacteria which can cause some tissue necrosis or death of parts of the skin, fins, gills, or mouth of the the fish. It can be associated with the bacteria of Columnaris Disease. Possible causes can be high nitrates content of the water or high stress. These diseases can manifest as gray spots on the skin of the fish. At the stage of gray patches on the skin of the skin, the disease can be treated by an antibacterial bath containing Nifurpirinol, Phenoxyethanol,Tetracycline.

To make things easier the following medications will work on the disease and should be available: Fungus Clear Tank Buddies by Jungel Labs; Triple Sulfa by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals,Inc.; Furan-2 by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; E.M. Tablets by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. They are all listed as working on Cotton Wool Disease and all are shown as working in an aquarium bath situation. Most will turn the water colors. Only the E. M. Tablets and Triple Sulfa Capsules do not that I know of. The Tank Buddies are the weakest of the medications listed above. The others are fairly heavy hitters.

Rose

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks Rose,
which would you use? The serpae tetras mouth does look white - not wooly yet - maybe I can save it in time?
Denise

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
oh! and I forgot to ask - what about the shiny dots one the black skirts?
thanks!
Denise

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would use the Furan-2 if you can find it since it seems to be at the top of the list of recommendations, but if not use the Tank Buddies as they are the most likely found. But be prepared as you may have to dose with the stronger med before it is over. I just know that a lot of stores do not carry the other ones. If you can get some kind of med with Furazolidone or nifurpirinol in it they would work as well just read the ingredients and use them as directed. They will work. As far as the shiny dots it sounds like velvet. I do not know if the same medications will treat both problems. You may have to isolate the black skirts and treat them with a drug that contains Formalin, and Malachite Green - the best one I have seen is calle Quick Cure by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. It works fairly fast but it must be used half strength on fish of the tetra family and takes a little longer. All medications containing these chemicals will have to be diluted for tetras.

Rose

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
ok, I'll see what I can find. I don't have an extra tank ready yet. I'm still trying to find trim to put on the 90g before I even add water to it (has broken black frame).
Denisel

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can do what I do and get a new white bucket and use as a quarantine tank. That is what Marty gets for a quarantine tank and he even pouts when I put him back into his tank. It will take a heater and filter if you get a nice big one. I do not bother with gravel but do weigh down a couple of fake plants and give them a little rock or something to play with. and an airstone. it works great and they are able to be medicated and still isolated and kept clean and easily water changed. If you cannot manage a filter or such you may just have to do daily water changes but that may mess up the medication schedule so I just used a piece of the old filter in an extra filter and it worked out fine. I still tested the water and did paritial changes when needed but it was okay for the most part.

Rose

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
okay, thank you for your help! I can probably swing that (money-wise)..depends on how much meds run..bad timing what with school starting soon and stupid school clothes and school supplies and backpacks, etc...aughhhhhhhh sorry, I'm just frustrated and scared. My fish are like babies kind of - they feel bad but can't tell me what is wrong with them, and I stink at this guessing game...
I think I'll go pray and get some sleep. Forgive my bad attitude tonight (?) talk to ya'll tommorrow,
Denise
:-X

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey it is all just part of being a good fish mommy. Don't worry about the atitude. You should be around me when I have a sick one. Everyone for 5 miles stays away. I would worry if you didn't care, not that you care too much. You are doing okay. Just take a few deep breaths and realize that there is a power greater than yourself who holds it in his hands and will take care of some of it for you.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom