Shimming aquarium stand advice

Derek88242

Hello my first post here as I am extremely frustrated and looking for advice. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that was setup for 3 years. Initially I installed the aquarium and stand way too close to the wall but had plans of side mounting my aqua clear 110 filter. I tore the tank down completely to re-scape it and mainly to make room for my hob filter. The aquarium is on a proper wooden stand with flat bottom which is on carpet. After careful measuring I positioned the tank where I wanted it, added substrate and plants and filled halfway with water in order to level and shI'm it. I was able to level it correctly needing shims along the front and left side of the stand. How ever when I went to add my hob filter it would no longer fit behind the tank. I measured and apparently the tank slid back about a 1/4 of inch when I shimmed the front, also slid slightly to the right when I put shims under the left side of stand. I was using a rubber mallet to tap the shims in, I wasn't even banging them that hard. I don't get how the tank moved being half full with water but it did. I drained the tank of all water, repositioned the stand and this time I put wooden blocks cut to size between the wall and back of the stand to make sure the stand wouldn't move. I filled the tank again and shimmed it this time with the hob installed. Before I started I made sure I could at least get a finger behind my hob filter so it wasn't right against the wall and had some wiggle room. After finishing I noticed my hob filter is now almost touching the wall and no longer have room to get a finger behind it. Even with wooden blocks behind the tank it seems the tank has moved again. Not as much as the first time but it's still noticeable. I am totally confused and wanting to give up. Anyone have any feedback or suggestions concerning why my tank is moving closer to the wall when I shI'm it? Anything is greatly appreciated.

Sanderguy777

Well Known
I doubt if this is an issue, but have you checked that the tanks glass (or acrylic) is still flat like it should be? I've had a tank that the front panel bowed out.

Otherwise, is the mat it is on clean (no dust or anything) and dry? It may have dust or water that is making it less sticky. Maybe replace the pad?

I just set up a 60 gallonabout 3 weeks ago that took me like 2 hours to level, so I know your frustration

Derek88242

I don't think the aquarium is bowing...it's also not on a Matt or pad of any kind. It a wooden aquarium stand I purchased for aquariums. The shims go under the flat bottom of the stand which is on bare carpet...thanks for the reply.

Sanderguy777

Well Known
I don't think the aquarium is bowing...it's also not on a Matt or pad of any kind. It a wooden aquarium stand I purchased for aquariums. The shims go under the flat bottom of the stand which is on bare carpet...thanks for the reply.
Ok I'm going blind. I saw "rubber mallet" and thought it said "rubber mat"

Ok. So maybe you could get a drawer liner or something that would go under the tank on the table top. That should keep it from moving. That might be for the best anyway, especially if your area is prone to earthquakes or anything...

Derek88242

Lol good advice I get you now and why you suggested a rubber Mat. I just don't get how a 40 gallon tank with 45 pounds of sand and half full with water can slide on carpet so easily when I tapped the shims in... Even the second time it moved slightly and I had wooden blocks shoved in between the bottom of the stand and the wall.

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Lol good advice I get you now and why you suggested a rubber Mat. I just don't get how a 40 gallon tank with 45 pounds of sand and half full with water can slide on carpet so easily when I tapped the shims in... Even the second time it moved slightly and I had wooden blocks shoved in between the bottom of the stand and the wall.
Dont ask me. I haven't got a clue. But since it DOES move that easily, you'll want to either get the drawer liner for between the tank and stand, or build a lip around the stand top to keep the tank in place.

It was the tank that moved right? Or did the tank and stand assembly both move?

Mr. Kgnao

Well Known
Aren't you tilting the top-back of the tank closer towards the wall when you lift the bottom-front with the shims?

Derek88242

Aren't you tilting the top-back of the tank closer towards the wall when you lift the bottom-front with the shims?
Yes! I can't believe I didn't think of that. That is exactly what happened. Thanks. That helped put my mind at ease.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Leoaqua90
Replies
Views
awilkinson871
Replies
Views
MomeWrath
20 Gallon Tank Alternate Stands
Replies
Views
JayH

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Taking aquarium and fish photos can be difficult at times. For ideas,check out Lchi87's article about:
How to take better photos with your phone

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom